Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sarahblonde2018
    • By sarahblonde2018 7th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    sarahblonde2018
    how do i become a mature student?
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    how do i become a mature student? 7th Mar 18 at 12:18 PM
    At 40 I am going nowhere in life and really want to do a course degree/access course. I have done some research but I can't find any real answers, how do I study at college/uni and pay my mortgage as a single person? I know there are grants and loans available for the course but how do I live and pay my bills?
    I am currently employed full time in a fairly good job, but I have no savings and the course is not related to my job (new career) therefore they wont pay obviously!
    please help!
    Sarah
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 7th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    If you haven!!!8217;t been to uni you can apply for loans from student loans it can cover fees and living costs but not massive amount. People work part time as well
    • SWMBO
    • By SWMBO 7th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    SWMBO
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    Have you considered studying part time, either at your local university, or through the Open University?
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    You stop drinking snakebites every weekend and start drinking real ale or brandy....
    • SensibleSarah
    • By SensibleSarah 7th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    SensibleSarah
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    I was able to do it (over 10 years ago now) but at that time I had no mortgage, no car to run etc so was able to live in very cheap shared houses (with people I knew) and keep outgoings to a minimum. I basically lived on around 400 a month all in for those 3 years. I got a small maintenance grant (which no longer exists) which covered some of my room rent, and took loans for the tuition fees etc. I also worked as much as I could as my course wasn't really full time, although officially it was. The third year I think I had about 6 hours a week of lectures and the rest was independent study - but obviously this depends on the course you take.

Now I have a mortgage, car and lots of other financial responsibilities in a single-income household, there is no way I could do a full time course with the system the way it is currently - the only way would be to save up as much as possible for a year or two and do the course part time over a longer period.

It was totally worth it for me to do though. It wasn't even a vocational course, but it opened a way to a whole new career once I had the degree, which I've been working in ever since and enjoy infinitely more than what I did previously.
    • El Rey
    • By El Rey 7th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    El Rey
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    SensibleSarah - It's great to hear that going to uni as a mature student worked out well for you. Out of interest, what did you study and what do you do for a living now?
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 7th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    I've gone to uni as a mature student. I started with an OU module to see if studying was really right for me (paid for by SLC loan).
    I worked out the costs and going to brick uni worked out better as I got the full tuition and living loans/grant paid to me as I was over 25 and earning minimum wage.
    I was only on 14k working full time so I actually had a bit more money after starting uni (part time job and was given a grant from the uni for being poor) and this really helped towards the cost of books.

Do you have a spare room in your house that you could rent out to help with income? If financially you need to work full time at your current wage you'll be best off looking at OU courses. If you just need full time minimum wage you could find an evening job like in a bar that would work around lecture times.
    • sarahblonde2018
    • By sarahblonde2018 7th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sarahblonde2018
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    Thanks will look into this!
    • sarahblonde2018
    • By sarahblonde2018 7th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sarahblonde2018
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    Looked at OU but soooo expensive and i prefer the college environment. Its one for consideration though.
    • sarahblonde2018
    • By sarahblonde2018 7th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sarahblonde2018
    Its looking impossible now unfortunately. Noone is going to pay my mortgage!
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 7th Mar 18, 11:47 PM
    • 19,141 Posts
    • 19,612 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    That's why it was suggested that you get a lodger, though. Could you rearrange your property so that it became like a student place, with several of you sharing?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • SensibleSarah
    • By SensibleSarah 8th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    SensibleSarah
    SensibleSarah - It's great to hear that going to uni as a mature student worked out well for you. Out of interest, what did you study and what do you do for a living now?
    Originally posted by El Rey
    Did an English Lit degree so as wishy washy as you like.
    This led to a career in copywriting/content creation for online brands. I would never had got my foot in the door without having the degree on my CV - even if it hasn't practically helped me that much.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    shortcrust
    As long as your mortgage isn't massive you'll be able to cover it with the loans and part time work. I've been a mature student and it lends itself well to living a relatively frugal lifestyle. And it's not forever. When there's a goal in sight you can put up with a few holes in your jumpers! Your younger course mates will think they've got so many lectures and so much work to do, but I think if you're used to full time work it seems like a holiday.

Have you thought about spreading the financial pain by saving like mad for a couple of years before starting?
    Last edited by shortcrust; 08-03-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 38,502 Posts
    • 35,162 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Have you thought about spreading the financial pain by saving like mad for a couple of years before starting?
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    This. If you've got a reasonably well paid job and no savings, it should be possible and is definitely advisable to do something about the savings situation! apart from anything else, living on less than you earn is good preparation for earning less.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 8th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    riotlady
    My partner is doing an online access course with a view to going to uni afterwards- you don't get any loans/grants for the access course but you can fit it around working and pay in monthly installments.

Once you start university you'll be entitled to tuition fee and maintenance loans- get a rough idea here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
    Plus you'll be able to fit in part time work around studying if needed.
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    509/2018
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 8th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4,957 Posts
    • 8,043 Thanks
    KiKi
    You say OU is "soooooo" expensive, but it's a darn sight cheaper than a brick uni. And you can work around your study.

Depending on what you want to study, there is no easy answer - if you don't have savings to pay your mortgage, you will almost certainly have to work part time whilst you study. You could change your lifestyle to spend less; save like mad first; get a lodger; let your property whilst you houseshare whilst you study (risky, though).

Most people work whilst at uni - that's just what you have to do to pay the bills. And don't forget, uni in particular has long holidays, so you need to find full time work during those time.

No easy answer, I'm afraid, unless you're prepared to radically change your life or work part time!
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Open university was designed for people who work full time. OU is far cheaper in the long run when you don't have to give up your income to study.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin