Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Barx
    • By Barx 7th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Barx
    Best Carpet and Underlay Supplier?
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    Best Carpet and Underlay Supplier? 7th Mar 18 at 11:37 AM
    I am trying to get my recently purchased top floor flat covered with carpet and underlay as there is currently laminate flooring in place which is echoing sound and must cause a nuisance for those underneath whenever I walk.

I was intending to opt for supplier Carpet Right but someone on this forum advised that their products were cheap and nasty. Another option would be to go with supplier Tapi Carpets but, again, I am not sure if they would be any good. It should be noted that I would like thickest, densest underlay and carpets I can find to assist with the issue of noise.

Any suggestions for a decent carpet supplier would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Page 1
    • ukcarper
    • By ukcarper 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 13,920 Thanks
    ukcarper
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    I think its best to use a good local independent supplier, for good quality carpet they are normally as cheap if not cheaper than carpetright and service is better.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 7th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 7,786 Posts
    • 11,376 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    I think its best to use a good local independent supplier, for good quality carpet they are normally as cheap if not cheaper than carpetright and service is better.
    Originally posted by ukcarper
    seconded ..................
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6,496 Posts
    • 6,381 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Take some rough measurements and then get opinions and estimates from a few places.

Then get accurate quotes from the one or two you like best. They'll probably want to visit and measure-up themselves.

Measuring for fitted carpet is a bit of an art. For example, you might have a flat with a floor area of 40 sq metres, but you might need to buy much more than 40 sq meters of carpet.

FWIW, quite a few fitters have said to me, find a carpet you like in Carpetright, note down the reference number on the back of the sample, and we'll get it cheaper. (But I've never done that.)
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 10,687 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    Ive used the same local independent for years. Buy cheap buy twice. (and my local isnt especially expensive anyway)
    • Pa Ja
    • By Pa Ja 7th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Pa Ja
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    You don't even have to leave your home. Look on local marketing pages on social media and also on Gumtree. There will be plenty of independents who'll visit, measure and have some carpet and underlay samples.
    Sometimes you're better with a top of the range underlay and a mediocre carpet. The softness and comfort underfoot comes from it.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 7th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    parkrunner
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    I am trying to get my recently purchased top floor flat covered with carpet and underlay as there is currently laminate flooring in place which is echoing sound and must cause a nuisance for those underneath whenever I walk.

I was intending to opt for supplier Carpet Right but someone on this forum advised that their products were cheap and nasty. Another option would be to go with supplier Tapi Carpets but, again, I am not sure if they would be any good. It should be noted that I would like thickest, densest underlay and carpets I can find to assist with the issue of noise.

Any suggestions for a decent carpet supplier would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Barx
    That is rubbish. Carpet Right are no different to any other supplier, they sell a wide range of carpets ranging from the cheap and nasty to some of the best on the market. I do agree with others though about a local independent supplier might be better, they will be more flexible with times and prices. Make sure the independent one is well established though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin