Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisb1972
    • By Chrisb1972 7th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chrisb1972
    Concerns over possible damp
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    Concerns over possible damp 7th Mar 18 at 11:16 AM
    Thanks for your help, in advance

We are currently having a loft conversion completed. As part of this we have had a wall moved on the 1st floor, to make room for the stairs up to the loft. This was a block partition wall and was tied into the internal block wall of our cavity wall house.

When this wall came down two blocks were tied into the internal block wall of the house. Where they were previously you could see through to the cavity wall insulation, that we had put in a couple of years ago.

The plasterer has not filled these gaps, roughly the size of a normal house brick, but has put plaster board over them and plastered the wall.

I am concerned that this will lead to damp.

Are we fine to leave this as it is or should I demand the plaster is removed and the holes be filled with a brick or other suitable material? The plasterer and builder in charge have previously told these holes would be filled with a brick.

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by Chrisb1972; 07-03-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Clearer post title
Page 1
    • Chrisb1972
    • By Chrisb1972 7th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisb1972
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    It won't let me post an image, as I'm new to the forum.

If you feel you may be able to answer my query but need to see an image of how the wall looked pre-plaster then send me your email address and I'll forward it to you
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    It won't let me post an image, as I'm new to the forum.

If you feel you may be able to answer my query but need to see an image of how the wall looked pre-plaster then send me your email address and I'll forward it to you
    Originally posted by Chrisb1972
    Most sensible people wouldn't do that....well, I wouldn't, and I'm almost sensible!

I would want the holes filled-in. Anything that could create a cold spot is just sloppy work, and anyway, they said they'd be filled. What else are they going to say they'll do and then change their minds about?
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Chrisb1972
    • By Chrisb1972 7th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisb1972
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    I would want the holes filled-in. Anything that could create a cold spot is just sloppy work, and anyway, they said they'd be filled. What else are they going to say they'll do and then change their minds about?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Thanks Dave

This is my worry. We were promised the wall would be "made right" and there were bricks available to do this.

I can't see how leaving the openings in the wall won't lead to problems down the line.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter