Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GMac14
    • By GMac14 7th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 8Thanks
    GMac14
    Debt dropped off file?
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    Debt dropped off file? 7th Mar 18 at 10:49 AM
    Hi All

Little too good to be true, so posting to seek confirmation/someone to burst my bubble.

Previously been poor with money, pay day loans, now all paid off, log book loan, fully settled etc. Been looking to improve my credit history and have 3 credit builder cc which I just use for fuel each month (approx 50 each month on each) and pay off in full within 3 weeks of using.

Anyway, I have a couple of black marks still to resolve, defaulted debt of just short of 975 which I should be able to clear in the next 4 months, still shows on file.

However, the real issue was a default debt of just under 6k with Hillesden, cant remember which way around it was but on Noddle/Clearscore, one showed it as open, the other showed it as closed. Date of default was 2013. I lodged a query (back in January) with the one listed as open accounts and heard nothing more, yet it remained on my files.

When I have logged on today, both Clearscore and Noddle no longer show this debt/amount/no mention of Hillesden Finance. I have gone on to Equifax and registered for the free 30 day trial, no sign of it there either, but requested report anyway.

Is it possible the files have been updated and this has indeed been closed and has "dropped off" my file, even though its still well over a year away from being 6 years from the date of default?

Just seems a little too good to be true, but its not there anymore!

Cheers
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 16,788 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    Check Experian.
    • GMac14
    • By GMac14 7th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GMac14
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    I registered for a free 30 day trial with Experian back in January when I started down the process of getting the credit builder credit cards, hence tried the free trial with Equifax rather than pay 15 to Experian now.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    Register on the MSE Credit Club.

It's free...
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 16,788 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    tried the free trial with Equifax rather than pay 15 to Experian now.
    Originally posted by GMac14
    That won't help if it's reported on Experian and not Equifax.

As GD advises, go for the free option.
    • GMac14
    • By GMac14 7th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GMac14
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    Ok, so via MSE credit club the debt shows up on Experian but not Equifax/Clearscore/Noddle.
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 18,091 Posts
    • 23,866 Thanks
    redux
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    If you raise a query with Noddle about a specific account, if they then raise it and get no reply, they provisionally delete it off showing in your Noddle account as you see it.

I don't know that this also strikes it from being seen elsewhere; I suspect not.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 16,788 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    No - the CRAs are separate entities.
    • GMac14
    • By GMac14 7th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GMac14
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    That would appear to be a reasonable explanation.

The other debt which I am working on to clear, the details list my old address/no longer at this address no new address, but I am in touch with (Cabot) them via e mail to make arrangements to pay.

However the big amount which disappeared off Noddle/Clearscore, on MSE Club/Experian it was last update in Feb 2016, all of the status updates are a ? question mark, current status is default/ended, Entry code is C3 (the smaller amount is C8, last update 4/2/2018).

Is there any chance since the larger amount hasnt been updated since Feb 2016 this might stay under the radar? Less chance of a CCJ if they have not updated the file for over 2 years?
    • GMac14
    • By GMac14 7th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    GMac14
    didnt see reply re CRA being seperate entities, but strange that it was previously on both Noddle and Clearscore, closed account on one, open on the other, then disappeared from both
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 7th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 27,263 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Sometimes they temporarily disappear and then reappear under a new creditor who have purchased the debt. Just keep and eye on your files, it may well come back.

Have you been paying the debt? Also if they have an old address they could send court paperwork to an old address and you may receive a CCJ by default judgement so keep an eye on your files.

As for it being listed as open/closed on various reports this does differ between credit reference agencies. Any defaulted accounts are shown as closed on one (possibly clearscore) but they are still active if there is a balance owing
    • List Maker
    • By List Maker 8th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    List Maker
    I have found that all CRA are very different on what is reported.
    Noodle reports EVERYTHING, whereas I have zero closed accounts according to Clearscore (When there should be around 40!)
    Also have had differing results depending on how far back my address history goes when signing up. I have deleted and redo and more info has appeared.
    But I have also had DCA default that fell off a couple of months after it was settled rather than 6 years later, so you may just be lucky?
    HOUSE DEPOSIT - 6,720.50/42,000
    Future Mat Savings - 100/2,800
    Debt Free since July 2016
    SPC #585
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin