Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 7th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 162Posts
    • 52Thanks
    Lysimache
    Lock confusion - thumbturn one side, key other
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    Lock confusion - thumbturn one side, key other 7th Mar 18 at 10:41 AM
    Hi!

I'm confused about what to order for a bedroom lock.

I want a lock in this design:
    https://www.premierdoorhandles.co.uk/oakley-door-handle-dl167.html?fee=6&fep=2106&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysaEqf 7Z2QIVEDwbCh0wFQyOEAQYBCABEgJXkvD_BwE

I want one side to have a key that goes in, and the other side to have a thumbturn. Currently we have the exact same design only with no key or thumbturn, just the handle.

Is that possible?

Also, if I have a key-hole on one side for key (to stop people getting in when locked from outside with key only) and thumbturn (to lock from inside but get out in fire with no keys), then is there no way to have a safety release mechanism to help someone get in if I'm stuck inside? (I know bathroom locks have safety mechanisms and a thumbturn but they have no key on the other side.)

I don't want a key on both sides...
Page 1
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 7th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    BTW sorry for the lack of proper lock terminology - I know nothing and I need to decide fast, and finding learning about locks hard. I'm not going to install it - going to get a guy to install it along with lots of other work to house, and no time to ask the guy to buy his own lock.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 7th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    Lastly, I'm guessing if I buy 2 backplates I also need to buy the sticky out thing that goes in the middle of the door. What's that called? What mechanism do I buy if I want a thumbturn on one side and a keyhole on the other? Again, really sorry for the lack of professional terminology here...

I think I need to combine a 'lever lock' and 'bath lock' (on backplates) together with one box latch. Is that possible? And is that what I get, or am I missing some pieces?
    • DavidFx
    • By DavidFx 7th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    DavidFx
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    Do you mean one of these?
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p35988
    which will fit into this
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p18743

You'll need to match to the handle dimensions.

Emergency release? Hide a spare key

The handle you will require is the euro lock handle
    Last edited by DavidFx; 07-03-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added handle info
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter