Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bufferz
    • By bufferz 7th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 9Thanks
    bufferz
    Avoiding ERC
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    Avoiding ERC 7th Mar 18 at 10:05 AM
    I have approximately 2200 left on a Santander loan, which I was going to pay off in full, only for them to tell me I would be charged 2 months payments as ERC. So, looking on their site I can make extra payments and reduce the term of the loan, so can I then pay, say 1900 as a lump sum and have the period reduced to 2 months (from the current 16), and avoid the ERC as it would naturally end in 2 months time? Is it that simple? And if it is, surely the bank would know what I'm up to? (Don't bank with them anymore)
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 17,288 Posts
    • 18,403 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    Make an overpayment and let the next DD clear the remainder, minimising the ERC. Don't worry about reducing the term.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 24,883 Posts
    • 12,072 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    Are you sure it was 2 monthly payments or 2 months INTEREST?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 7th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    As above It'll be 2 months interest on full settlement. OP needs to check terms and conditions of their loan as some lenders will charge 2 months interest on partial or full settlement.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 7th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    I have just done this with my Santander loan its 2 months interest on a full settlement, unless there is less than 12 months remaining and then its 1 month. No extra costs for partial repayments, they just ask whether you want to reduce the monthly amount or the term. They are open about this on the phone and I asked does partial payments incur extra interest and was told no. You may want to check your loan's T&C in case its changed.

I had 3k left and called up a couple of times to make partial payments, when the second time I was asked was it debit or credit card, after a nice chat I went away got a no fee 0%BT card and used an existing card to pay all but 2 months worth which I then BT'd. They send out a letter after partial payments showing the next and then future payments, so if you ensure you leave somewhere between 1 and 2 months balance the letter will show the next and then final payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin