Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 7th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,665Posts
    • 7,144Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Home gym equipment for a small space
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    Home gym equipment for a small space 7th Mar 18 at 9:53 AM
    I need to do more exercise, I have gone from an active job with brisk long walks every day to a driving based job and only gentle strolls.

I can't join a gym because I don't want to leave my elderly (hence the change from brisk to gentle walks!) dogs alone any more than I have to in order to work and maintain some semblance of a social life!

So, can anybody recommend some decent quality equipment that can be folded, rolled, packed up and left in a corner of the spare room out of the way when not being used, but that is still reasonable quality and doesn't cost the earth? I've had a look at some foldaway treadmills but its very hard to gauge if the cheaper end will just fall apart and the premium end is very pricey indeed! Would love to hear personal experiences.

All I currently have is a yoga mat which fits the bill in terms of space but doesn't do much for my cardiovascular fitness!
Page 2
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Erm, no it isnt.

You said " I don't want to leave my elderly (hence the change from brisk to gentle walks!) dogs alone any more than I have to".

If you are now housebound perhaps you should have said, rather then get high and mighty when people dare ask you a question when trying to help.

A round trip to the gym can take a couple of hours. A run outside can take as little as twenty minutes.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    I don't want to leave my dogs anymore than I have to.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    I don't want to leave my dogs anymore than I have to.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Do you follow them around the house 24 7?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Do you follow them around the house 24 7?
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    No they follow me!

Look, I'm not sure why you have an issue with my question, I am well aware that I can go to the gym or for a run outside if I want to, but I don't want to. So I won't, no matter how much you may think its the better option.

If you have any recommendations for compact indoor gym equipment, which is what I actually asked for, I will be happy to read them.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    I dont have an issue with the question, I was seeking clarification when you called me out for not being psychic.

Well you cant go far wrong with a concept 2 rowing machine, can get some reasonable price versions second hand.

As with everything you get what you pay for. Might be more expensive than the rest, but there is 40 years of design and improvement behind them.

And okay its not folding, but decent quality equipment thats built to last does not come in a fold away package.
    Last edited by parking_question_chap; 10-03-2018 at 1:34 PM.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 12th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    We have a small gym in our garage and over the years we have had different bits of equipment. We have a folding treadmill, but it is not small even folded. Most of them are not.

Smaller things we have include:

A good folding exercise bike is this one - (on sale at the moment too). Folds down small, easy to use and very sturdy. Slightly heavy to move, but you could walk it into place rather than carrying it.

I also use a step (as suggested by someone else) and follow YouTube videos too. I have the larger Reebook one which can be altered in height and is nice and stable.

I also have a Bosu ball (not used it yet properly due to us repainting the garage floor so cannot get in there at the moment). I have a very damaged left leg and so I have this to work on my balance and strength.

A large folding floor mat for stretching / jumping about on.

A set of rubber resistance bands.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    We have a small gym in our garage and over the years we have had different bits of equipment. We have a folding treadmill, but it is not small even folded. Most of them are not.

Smaller things we have include:

A good folding exercise bike is this one - (on sale at the moment too). Folds down small, easy to use and very sturdy. Slightly heavy to move, but you could walk it into place rather than carrying it.

I also use a step (as suggested by someone else) and follow YouTube videos too. I have the larger Reebook one which can be altered in height and is nice and stable.

I also have a Bosu ball (not used it yet properly due to us repainting the garage floor so cannot get in there at the moment). I have a very damaged left leg and so I have this to work on my balance and strength.

A large folding floor mat for stretching / jumping about on.

A set of rubber resistance bands.
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath

Thanks Spider, I'm not really a huge fan of bikes/cycling but I will definitely bear it in mind! My 'compact' treadmill has just arrived in an alarmingly large and heavy box so let's see how I get on with that!

Hope your leg recovers quickly.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 15th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Thanks Spider, I'm not really a huge fan of bikes/cycling but I will definitely bear it in mind! My 'compact' treadmill has just arrived in an alarmingly large and heavy box so let's see how I get on with that!

Hope your leg recovers quickly.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Good luck with the treadmill. I've thought about getting one so would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

But are you sure you couldn't leave the dogs for just 30 mins?! Oh go on!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Good luck with the treadmill. I've thought about getting one so would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

But are you sure you couldn't leave the dogs for just 30 mins?! Oh go on!
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I know it sounds daft to lots of people, but they are old, one is blind, and I already have to leave them far more than I like to keep my job and my friends!

I don't especially like just running anyway, I find it boring, so a treadmill at home that I can use while watching films (which I do like!) has a much better chance of getting me moving than just a pair of trainers!
    • jane nair
    • By jane nair 21st Mar 18, 4:30 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jane nair
    I can suggest you buy a manual treadmill, rowing machine and some dumbbell and barbell for the home gym.It will not take big space.you can fold it and keep it in corner of your house.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 23rd Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ozaz
    Which treadmill did you get?

In case it doesn't work out for you and you want to get a different one, here are a couple that fold more compactly than most
    https://www.sportsdirect.com/reebok-i-run-3-0-treadmill-760208
    https://www.jtxfitness.com/slimline-compact-folding-treadmill

You could perhaps also consider fitness equipment designed for use in office environments, including under desk treadmills
    http://www.officefitness.co.uk/exercise-equipment/cardio.html#/page/1
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 27th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Which treadmill did you get?

In case it doesn't work out for you and you want to get a different one, here are a couple that fold more compactly than most
    https://www.sportsdirect.com/reebok-i-run-3-0-treadmill-760208
    https://www.jtxfitness.com/slimline-compact-folding-treadmill

You could perhaps also consider fitness equipment designed for use in office environments, including under desk treadmills
    http://www.officefitness.co.uk/exercise-equipment/cardio.html#/page/1
    Originally posted by ozaz

I went for this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Confidence-Gtr-Power-Motorised-Treadmill/dp/B006JI27WG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1522158251&sr=1-1&keywords=gtr+power+pro

Happy with it so far, its on castors and it folds away easily enough and small enough for me to roll it away and tuck it out of the way after each use. Its only basic, but its fine for me at the moment. Will bear your suggestions in mind should I have any issues though! Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin