Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eliottpreston
    • By Eliottpreston 7th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Eliottpreston
    0 WOW
    Ryanair false flight cancellation
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair false flight cancellation 7th Mar 18 at 9:47 AM
    Hi, I'm trying to get as much of my money back from ryanair as possible after they ruined my trip due to their incompetence. Here's the story:

Me and 3 friends were supposed to be flying with Ryanair from East midlands to Berlin at 6:45 2/3/18 but on 1/3/18 at 17:15 I received an email from Ryanair saying that my flight had been cancelled, despite its status remaining confirmed on both their website and east midlands airport website. I was assured by both a Ryanair phone operator and live chat operator that if I had received a cancellation email that meant that my flight had definitely been cancelled. However I checked first thing in the morning on 2/3/18 and the flight had departed!

So they sent me an incorrect email telling me my flight was cancelled when in actual fact it was not and when contacted twice they told me that if I had received this email my flight was definitely cancelled. This occurrence is not covered by my travel insurance so it is all coming out of our pockets as the hotel and prepaid activities in Berlin are non refundable. I have spoken multiple times to both phone and live chat operators and they have just been doing anything they can to get rid of me. They sent me an email yesterday saying that they would refund my flights and they have done already which is weird because whenever I've had flights refunded in the past its taken weeks to receive the money. But I'm still going to be losing out on money I've paid for my hotel, pre booked trains and my car parking (roughly about £700 combined). So I'm wondering whether there's any chance I'd be able to get anything else back from Ryanair and how to go about getting it? I have since found out that only 30 passenger were on board when the plane departed so I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

Any help would really be appreciated
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    Moneyclaim Online.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 11th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    Moneyclaim Online.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Why?

I don't believe Ryan Air would be responsible for the OP hotel costs etc - isn't that what insurance is for?

If I was the OP I would go back to my insurance company explain that flight was cancelled, Ryan Air have paid you back & see whether they will pay out.

Also OP might be entitled to the EU compensation for late notice of cancellation of flight - can never remember the name - sure someone will tell me details soon.

Look at: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 11th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 5,328 Posts
    • 4,512 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    Why?

I don't believe Ryan Air would be responsible for the OP hotel costs etc - isn't that what insurance is for?

If I was the OP I would go back to my insurance company explain that flight was cancelled, Ryan Air have paid you back & see whether they will pay out.

Also OP might be entitled to the EU compensation for late notice of cancellation of flight - can never remember the name - sure someone will tell me details soon.

Look at: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

Mark
    Originally posted by isplumm
    but the flight wasn't cancelled, which is the added complication, and the OP has already said the travel insurance wont pay out
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 11th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    I don't believe Ryan Air would be responsible for the OP hotel costs etc
    Originally posted by isplumm
    If Ryanair told the OP his flight was cancelled when it wasn't it doesn't sound unreasonable at all to expect them to cover this.
    • ic
    • By ic 11th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 2,590 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ic
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:26 PM
    Do you have the insurance add-on with your home insurance? Perhaps give them a call.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter