Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 7th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 112Posts
    • 58Thanks
    Senseicads
    What is the best way to go about this...
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    What is the best way to go about this... 7th Mar 18 at 9:39 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Recently moved in with my Fianc!e, and just getting down to sorting out bills and what not. Come across a bit of a quirk that I am now not sure what to do. She was married a few years ago and the broadband was in her ex husbands name. despite being divorced for two years now she has just kept her broadband contract going under his name. He hasn't had an issue with it(although I would have) and she hasn't had an issue with it. I've not turned up with my MSE hat on and found out that she is paying 64 for line rental and BT Fibre. Obviously first things first we would wish to get his name off the bills, but we also don't want to have a period of time without broadband. We did try to cancel BT so we could then sign up as a new customer with a provider in my name, but they said only he could cancel and my partner wouldn't be able to do this. My question is what is the best way to go about this to minimise the impact on us with respect of internet access...we have a similar issue with the utilities although seems a bit easier as we just tell them that I have moved in now and they do all the changes over. Then I can do a switch after that. Any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 10,507 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    Do you know when the contract ends ??
    As that's when he needs to cancel .
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    Apply to a different provider as a new tenant, leave Bt to chase him, you've done your bit by attempting to transfer the supply.

It sounds as though the supply has been in place for at least 2 years so is unlikely to be in any minimum contract period still.
    Last edited by pmduk; 07-03-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 7th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Senseicads
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    Yeah we are not in a contract I don't think...or the contract has expired and is rolling. We will have to tell him to cancel it and then leave it up to him I guess. I am just thinking we don't actually want to be without broadband...and we'd quite like to pick up one of the new cheaper deals for new customers...also if we just applied to a new provider, would there be a period without internet where BT close down the old contract and the new one picks it up? I am assuming we don't just keep the old BT equipment and would have to be provided with new ones? I don't quite know how it works so apologies if I sound nave. Also what happens if we wanted to stay with BT when we move provider? does something else need to happen? I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I kick off the process so any time without broadband is minimised! we don't necessarily mind paying twice for two different services for a couple of weeks, but not sure how that will work with one fibre line coming in?

thanks again
    Last edited by Senseicads; 07-03-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: more info
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 8,532 Posts
    • 6,304 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    If you want to stay with Bt, say you've just moved in, the old equipment is still there, but you have no contact with the old tenant. You're using the service and want to take it over as it's the only way they can get paid. No need to mention your partner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

6,257Users online

Martin's Twitter