Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • a1tone
    • By a1tone 7th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    a1tone
    Tax-Free Childcare and Vouchers
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    Tax-Free Childcare and Vouchers 7th Mar 18 at 9:02 AM
    Hello

Wondered if somebody may be able to help.

My partner receives vouchers but my employers don't offer these.

Can my wife still claim voucher and me set up a tax free savings account so have both vouchers and the new scheme.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    No, you can get vouchers or register for tax free childcare

https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/childcare-vouchers
    • Paparika
    • By Paparika 7th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    Paparika
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    Sorry it's one or the other.

www.giveyourselfachoice.com have a look at your options.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
    • a1tone
    • By a1tone 8th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    a1tone
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    So if I my company don't offer vouchers we would be better off with Tax-Free Childcare, so we can both benefit.
    • Paparika
    • By Paparika 8th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    Paparika
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    So if I my company don't offer vouchers we would be better off with Tax-Free Childcare, so we can both benefit.
    Originally posted by a1tone
    That's a choice only you can make. We don't know your circumstances. But if only one can take the vouchers then maybe look at TFC.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
    • Poppy3173
    • By Poppy3173 15th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Poppy3173
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    Can I ask. Does anyone know if your employer are liable to pay back payment for childcare vouchers credit that they should have paid whilst I was on lower SMP and nil pay. 243 a month. Lost just over 1000 because I was not informed about this entitlement
    • Geht fit
    • By Geht fit 15th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Geht fit
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    Poppy3173 Can I ask. Does anyone know if your employer are liable to pay back payment for childcare vouchers credit that they should have paid whilst I was on lower SMP and nil pay. 243 a month. Lost just over 1000 because I was not informed about this entitlement
    There was a case in 2016 (Peninsula Business Services v Donaldson) which set a precedent for employers getting away with not continuing to provide vouchers. The Law Gazette had this to say about it:
    "It would be risky for employers to rely on this authority as the basis for any decision to stop providing any childcare vouchers to employees on maternity leave. This is particularly so for employees who are currently on maternity leave and receiving vouchers, who have an expectation that this will continue."
    (Sorry - I can't seem to post a link)

Were you already paying 243 before going on maternity leave?

I'm not an expert, but have been reading up on childcare vouchers as I am having an issue with my payroll not willing to provide them during maternity leave.
    • Geht fit
    • By Geht fit 15th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Geht fit
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    My partner receives vouchers but my employers don't offer these.
    Now that the scheme has been extended, it might be worth a shot trying to convince your employer to join a scheme as they will also benefit from the National Insurance savings,
    worth up to 402 a year... Worth a try, especially if they were to encourage take up from other employees?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin