Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 7th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 297Posts
    • 210Thanks
    kevanf1
    Home grocery NONE delivery
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    Home grocery NONE delivery 7th Mar 18 at 9:02 AM
    Do I have any sort of 'comeback' rights on this one please? Last week my wife and I placed a grocery shop order with one of our local supermarkets (not naming at this point). We have been using this particular supermarket for online grocery shopping for well over a year but have been let down badly in the past. This order was placed on Tuesday for a Thursday delivery mindful of the impending bad weather. Thursday came and went and we did indeed have that bad weather though significantly it was not too bad round by us. Sadly our shopping did not arrive. We had no notification of them not being able to deliver despite them having two different phone numbers and an e-mail address. Our delivery was supposed to be between 7pm and 8pm. I accept that the roads were not good due to ice and snow and would not expect anybody to risk life and limb to bring m shopping. What I am angry about is the lack of communication to inform me of what was going on. Just to add to this a friend of ours only a few doors up the road had their groceries delivered by this supermarket the very next morning.

It has taken nearly a week to get a refund on the order because for days it was stating that the order had been delivered. All we have had in the way of communication is an e-mail to tell us our order has been cancelled and that only came today, the following Wednesday.

Do we have any redress? I have already cancelled our rolling monthly pass and will not be getting home shopping from this supermarket again.

I should add that I am practically housebound and unable to drive anymore. My wife cannot drive due to dodgy eyesight. We were very low on both basic food items and major stuff which is why the order was submitted 3 days previously. My wife ended up having to walk about 2 miles to struggle back home with bread and milk. This has left her in great pain as she does suffer from arthritis and permanent back pain.
    Last edited by kevanf1; 07-03-2018 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Added more relevant details.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    Could your neighbour not help you out with some essentials?

The only comeback you have is a goodwill gesture if the retailer feels inclined to do so.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 7th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    They probably didn't have enough staff to contact you at the time. Was it Tesco? They had to shut their whole customer service centre as it's based in Dundee.

What do you want to happen?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 30,365 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    Do I have any sort of 'comeback' rights on this one please? Last week my wife and I placed a grocery shop order with one of our local supermarkets (not naming at this point). We have been using this particular supermarket for online grocery shopping for well over a year but have been let down badly in the past. This order was placed on Tuesday for a Thursday delivery mindful of the impending bad weather. Thursday came and went and we did indeed have that bad weather though significantly it was not too bad round by us. Sadly our shopping did not arrive. We had no notification of them not being able to deliver despite them having two different phone numbers and an e-mail address. Our delivery was supposed to be between 7pm and 8pm. I accept that the roads were not good due to ice and snow and would not expect anybody to risk life and limb to bring m shopping. What I am angry about is the lack of communication to inform me of what was going on. Just to add to this a friend of ours only a few doors up the road had their groceries delivered by this supermarket the very next morning.

It has taken nearly a week to get a refund on the order because for days it was stating that the order had been delivered. All we have had in the way of communication is an e-mail to tell us our order has been cancelled and that only came today, the following Wednesday.

Do we have any redress? I have already cancelled our rolling monthly pass and will not be getting home shopping from this supermarket again.

I should add that I am practically housebound and unable to drive anymore. My wife cannot drive due to dodgy eyesight. We were very low on both basic food items and major stuff which is why the order was submitted 3 days previously. My wife ended up having to walk about 2 miles to struggle back home with bread and milk. This has left her in great pain as she does suffer from arthritis and permanent back pain.

Originally posted by kevanf1
    I have made it smaller so people can read. Your question is do you have any redress. Yes. Though this is covered by Force Majeure.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 7th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    If you are mainly dependent upon home delivery for grocery shopping, keep an eye open for category red weather forecasts for your area, and order further in advance for an earlier delivery. The severity of the impending weather was clearly publicised well in advance. Also consider maintaining a pantry of long life essentials, e.g. tinned goods, part-baked bread, long life milk, that will see you through 3 - 5 days should non-delivery happen again for some reason.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 5,642 Posts
    • 11,869 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    If you are mainly dependent upon home delivery for grocery shopping, keep an eye open for category red weather forecasts for your area, and order further in advance for an earlier delivery. The severity of the impending weather was clearly publicised well in advance. Also consider maintaining a pantry of long life essentials, e.g. tinned goods, part-baked bread, long life milk, that will see you through 3 - 5 days should non-delivery happen again for some reason.
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    I do agree, you need to take some personal responsibility. On Tuesday the weather was known and getting bad, and everywhere it was reported that Thursday was going to be the worst day, yet you ordered during the middle of all those amber warnings.

I am not trying to pass the buck, as the refund issue seems to be poorly handled but you are now refunded.

Unfortunately it is not your supermarkets responsibility to keep your food cupboards stocked nor the fact it was so low your wife had to struggle out for food. The things stated above should be kept if you consider ‘bread and milk’ essential, I assume you had water to drink, keeping a few tins of beans and something in the freezer is pretty easy. I’m very unorganised and we had chips and beans for tea a few nights during the snow
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 4,454 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    what do you expect Tesco to do? Ie what Redress are you seeking?
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 7th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 1,701 Thanks
    Februarycat
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    Mine got cancelled Thursday too, that was with Sainsbury's, but I did get a text and e mail through to tell me and got it re-delivered on the Sunday. Sometimes they do offer a goodwill gesture of a voucher for a cancellation, I have in the past had one, I would ring them up and see what they say.
    OnePoll = £40.00 11/3/16 - £40 28/12/17
    Pureprofile = £15.20
    PanelOpinion = £2.95
    • reason2
    • By reason2 7th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    reason2
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    not sure i would consider bread and milk essential items..
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 7th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    Ok, yes we did order on the Tuesday. This was due to s knowing bad weather was coming. We could not get a deliver slot earlier than the Thursday which did greatly concern us as yes, again, we realised this was going to be at the height of the bad weather. What do we do though? We are at the mercy of the store in those circumstances. As for having a stock of food in. Again, yes we do this. We have usually enough for about 3 or 4 days at least. We couldn't get a delivery from anybody else until the next Tuesday though. This was 7 days. If we had a notification that the delivery was not going to happen earlier on the Thursday (the weather did not get bad until late Thursday evening for us) my wife could have gone out to local shops and got at least essentials to hopefully see us through. By the time the delivery slot had come and gone all the local shops had closed. Please remember neither of us can drive so we couldn't get to one of the supermarkets. It would have been nice for a neighbour to help but by the time we realised we were not going to get our order there were weather warnings out telling people not to drive.

What do we want out of this? Well a simple apology for not abiding by their own statement that they will let customers know if they are cancelling an order. Maybe a policy of getting to those customers at the earliest opportunity might be good too. Instead of rescheduling for another 3 or 4 days time?

It wasn't Tesco by the way but we are now using Tesco as we have never had a problem with them in the past nd they delivered an order promptly this Tuesday thankfully.

Sorry about the massive type in the original post I don't now what happened there.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 18,875 Thanks
    mije1983
    What do we want out of this? Well a simple apology for not abiding by their own statement that they will let customers know if they are cancelling an order. Maybe a policy of getting to those customers at the earliest opportunity might be good too. Instead of rescheduling for another 3 or 4 days time?

You can't force them to apologise. If you are unhappy then you have done the right thing to change supermarkets.

Also, it's quite possible that 3 or 4 days was the earliest opportunity to re-deliver. They would have already had customers book slots for the following days, and then they would have to fit the cancelled deliveries in around them. Of course, if you have attempted a test order and were able to book a brand new slot earlier than 3 days, then that's a different matter.

What I would say is that if it is 2 miles to the nearest shop to get bread and milk, you are housebound and your wife struggles to get around, then maybe it's an idea to freeze a loaf and buy some UHT milk in case of bad weather in the future. The snow had been predicted for about 2 weeks beforehand so being so restricted in your movements you may need to plan further ahead in future.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 6:51 PM
    • 20,065 Posts
    • 53,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    You've said you've cancelled your rolling monthly pass (whatever that is) and aren't going to use them again but have you actually been in touch with the supermarket and told them what happened (acknowledging the weather problems) and explaining why you were not happy with the service you received?
    Last edited by Pollycat; 07-03-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 5,642 Posts
    • 11,869 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Having enough for 3-4 days is just normal shopping. What people mean is have a stash of back up food for cases like this, nothing fancy, a few tins of beans or whatever tins you can make a meal from, a frozen loaf or a frozen bag of chips, some long life milk, tinned soup, stuff like that so when you!!!8217;re food delivery doesn!!!8217;t turn up you just crack out the beans.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 12,307 Posts
    • 16,573 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    You've said you've cancelled your rolling monthly pass (whatever that is) and aren't going to use them again but have you actually been in touch with the supermarket and told them what happened (acknowledging the weather problems) and explaining why you were not happy with the service you received?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    It's probably a membership thing where you get lower delivery charges in return for a monthly fee and a minimum number of orders per month (I know Morrisons do it, I'm not sure about anyone else).
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 7th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    For more details on maintaining a "long life" pantry... http://www.ukpreppersguide.co.uk/basic-food-storage-for-prepping-for-disasters-and-shtf/
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 20,065 Posts
    • 53,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Personally, I'd be able to manage without getting to the shops for months (assuming I could learn to stomach coffee without milk ) but not everyone can afford to have a stock of food.
    But we were aware of the forecast for snow so OH did a quick shop for beers, bread & milk on Sunday.
    We managed with what we'd got until the buses started running again past our house on Friday lunchtime.

There's the refund issue.
    Some people can't afford to buy 2 lots of groceries in a week so that delay may well have caused the OP hardship.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 08-03-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • warby68
    • By warby68 7th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 9,581 Thanks
    warby68
    The weather conditions were exceptional and the ensuing disruption widespread. Perhaps your order was loaded and on the van but the driver got stranded so your order wasn't actually cancelled on the day ?

Not a brilliant communication follow up but that is what tends to happen when something falls outside the normal sequence of events. Maybe even the supermarket sent their staff home to keep them safe.

You could easily get an apology and goodwill gesture but as you've already 'stropped off' they might not have a huge inclination to do so.

Were you equally to blame for the consequences? Yes, probably. You gambled on a delivery when all other supermarkets weren't offering and let the supplies get so low your wife then had to go out in conditions unsafe for her.
    • izzitme
    • By izzitme 7th Mar 18, 9:14 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    izzitme
    .... Maybe a policy of getting to those customers at the earliest opportunity might be good too. Instead of rescheduling for another 3 or 4 days time?

Hi Kevan

I drive for one of the supermarkets & agree that it would be helpful to reschedule a missed delivery. The problem is that other delivery slots are normally fully booked (at my depot anyway) & we cannot magic up extra vans to help. Unfortunately it is easier for the customer to reorder for when it suits them.
    Going down the Oteley Road to see the Shrewsbury aces!
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 7th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    Just for the record. I am on a fixed income disabled benefit. I am unable to work and never will be again. I have a number of severe and life threatening illnesses/conditions. My wife works part time and is on a low wage. No we cannot afford to have a massive stockpile of foods available. I have to be very careful with my diet and with the bet will in the world fresh vegetables only last a few days. We have a small freezer and cannot afford to buy a bigger one or even have the room for one if we could. We already have long life milk but again it' having the room to store large amounts. We simply do not have the storage space or the money to be able to do it.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 08-03-2018 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 5,642 Posts
    • 11,869 Thanks
    marliepanda
    No one said massive stockpile. We!!!8217;re literally talking a few tins of soup!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin