Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SugaMouth
    • By SugaMouth 7th Mar 18, 9:01 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SugaMouth
    V old Default Reappearing as new.
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:01 AM
    V old Default Reappearing as new. 7th Mar 18 at 9:01 AM
    Morning All,

This is my first post here, so apologies if it's the wrong format etc.
    Long story short, I'm currently in the process of improving my credit rating, and as such have been monitoring my file closely. Upon checking this morning, I have found a fresh entry in the name of Motormile Finance Ltd.

Whilst the entry is noted as appearing in Feb2018 - the actual info on the entry relates to an account opened Jan2012 and defaulted April2012. Frankly I don't recall it at all, but as the value is relatively low would be inclined to just pay.

More than anything though, it seems really unusual that an account can just disappear and reappear nearly 6 years later. As I'd mentioned, I've been monitoring my file and paying off all of my credit accounts. I'm certain that I would have noticed this entry before.

Any advice here will be gratefully received

Many thanks

Andy.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 17,280 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    Accounts can come and go. It will drop off your files in May if it defaulted in 2018.
    • SugaMouth
    • By SugaMouth 7th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SugaMouth
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    Thanks for the quick response, I take it that the reappearance doesn't reset the clock on the default then?
    Fantastic
  • National Debtline
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    Hi SugaMouth

Defaults can be updated to reflect the name of the new creditor, but they cannot be duplicated, nor can they remain on your file any longer than six years. Anything that happens contrary to this should be challenged.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 7th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    It could be due to the change of creditor and if so the date should go back to april 2012. A query, do you live at the same address as you did in 2012. It's just if you don't recognise this it could be someone who are writing to an old address.
    • SugaMouth
    • By SugaMouth 7th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SugaMouth
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    It's my prev address that's noted on the info.

Just out of interest, can anyone suggest why it may just reappear out of the blue like this?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 17,280 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    Chance of CRA, change of creditor, change in internal reporting rules, admin tidy up, admin error...
    • SugaMouth
    • By SugaMouth 7th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SugaMouth
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    Thanks all for your responses here.
    • SugaMouth
    • By SugaMouth 21st Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SugaMouth
    • 21st Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 21st Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    Morning All,

The plot thickens with this one. as the original date of the default was over 6yr ago, I sent out a "Statute Barred" letter.
    I received a response from them today stating that i had made a payment in 18/7/2014 so the case would remain until 2020!
    Frankly this didn't ring true as I have no recollection of any dealing with these chaps in the first place, so I looked up my bank statements from that date. As I suspected, there is no payment on or around that date.

Common sense dictates that I simply need to go back to them asking for actual proof of this transaction, but erroneous or falsified info such as their last response is more than a bit worrying. Would it be worth me engaging anyone like the FCA based on this?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter