Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Georgebrocklebank
    • By Georgebrocklebank 7th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Georgebrocklebank
    splitting a house into two flats,, help please
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    splitting a house into two flats,, help please 7th Mar 18 at 8:36 AM
    Hi, I brought a house a couple of years ago at an auction (its a house turned into 2 flats).
    It's been that way for the last 25 years as the same tennant came with the sale.
    I want to sell the upstairs flat but leave him in the bottom one, is this possible?
    Each flat has its own boilers & separate water feeds, Gas & electricity meters & two council tax bills (one for each flat).
    I don't think it had planning permission as when I brought it the auctioneer came on the phone & told me I wasn't buying two flats but one house with two flats in.
    I'm just a bit confused how I would get new deeds to sell the top flat?
    Any help or advice would be great-fully appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    George.
Page 2
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 6,344 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    eddddy
    Will the lender want to see all fire/sound proof paper work?
    There is none so I guess I'll have to get that all done first.
    Originally posted by Georgebrocklebank
    You're out of your depth here.

As a starting point, I would do the following...
    • See if you can find a local 'traditional' estate agent with RICS accreditation.
    • Explain what you want to sell, and ask them to appraise the flat and see if it is saleable, and what you could sell it for.
    • If they don't think it's saleable, they will tell you why

Hopefully, they will give you their advice and opinion - and they won't charge you.

Maybe get 2 or 3 other estate agents in for second opinions as well.

(Obviously, the EAs won't check the legal docs etc, you'll have to pay a solicitor to do that.)
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 7th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    I had the opposite scenario, turned two flats into a house. One thing that springs to mind - I think a lawful conversion includes assessment for fire safety - certain windows for instance need to be escape points (fully opening, some route down) IIRC, especially if you only have one main door. More food for thought!
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    This property needs the title register to be split into two, thereby giving each flat their own title number. The solicitor may be able to do this at the same time as selling the flat of course but at the moment it sounds like you have a freehold house, not two leasehold properties.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 6,344 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    eddddy
    I had the opposite scenario, turned two flats into a house. One thing that springs to mind - I think a lawful conversion includes assessment for fire safety - certain windows for instance need to be escape points (fully opening, some route down) IIRC, especially if you only have one main door. More food for thought!
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    That (and a whole raft of other building regs) would be relevant if the OP was converting a house into flats today.

However, the OP is suggesting that the house may have converted into flats 25 years ago. Building regulations were different then - and breaches of building regs 25 years ago probably can't be enforced now.

If the house really was 'converted' into flats 25 years ago - the OP might not have to do anything at all.

But if the house wasn't really 'converted' (e.g. instead, one tenant lived in the upstairs of a house, and the other tenant lived in the downstairs of the house), the OP could face a shed-load of problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin