Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiglet
    • By Tiglet 7th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    • 388Posts
    • 275Thanks
    Tiglet
    Cleaning smoke damage
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:30 AM
    Cleaning smoke damage 7th Mar 18 at 8:30 AM
    My tenant called me last night to say that she had had a fire in the kitchen. A pan of oil had caught fire and she threw water over it

Eventually it transpired that, rather than the chip pan I imagined, it was a tiny, fried-egg-sized pan. Nevertheless, it did cause quite a bit of damage. The cooker hood is a write-off but, fortunately, most of the rest of the damage seems to be from smoke as opposed to any actual burnt areas (though time will tell...)

A friend of mine who came from across the pond told me that bicarb mixed with Orange Mate or Citrus Magic is really good for cleaning this sort of thing. Unfortunately, I can only find them on US websites, so I'm looking for something equivalent that's available in the UK. Apparently, these products are based on orange oil.

Any ideas for any suitable equivalents? Or is there something else that's just as good for the job and available over here? Thanks!!
Page 1
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,788 Posts
    • 24,336 Thanks
    caronc
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    This stuff is really good https://www.astonishcleaners.co.uk/the-astonish-range/product-category/multi-surface-cleaner-orange-oil/ as is this https://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/elbow-grease-all-purpose-degreaser-500ml both tend to be fairly widely found in 1 shops etc. or on Amazon
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • Tiglet
    • By Tiglet 7th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Tiglet
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    Thanks! The Astonish one looks to be just the job. And there's a shop that probably sells it nearby so I'll pick some up on my way over.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 11,844 Posts
    • 228,505 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    Whatever product you end up using, please be careful to wear gloves. A nurse once told me about the nasty nail infections which can be caused by cleaning up after fires; particles of soot/ carbon etc get under the nail and into the nail bed where they cause problems. Glove up, or even double-glove, to protect yourself. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 15,617 Posts
    • 43,348 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    ...and don't forget to charge Idiot Tenant for the gloves and a suitable hourly rate for your labour...

....but...yeh...gloving-up means you wouldnt have to start wondering about compensation for damage to your health Idiot Tenant had caused.....
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 7th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 36,730 Posts
    • 472,788 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    that is what insurance is for!!

When I had a proper kitchen fire not a stupid tiny pan the industrial cleaners used.... sponges and fairy liquid!!

Do you not have a fire blanket in the kitchen? they are what should be used not water... stupid tenant!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • Tiglet
    • By Tiglet 7th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Tiglet
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    Whatever product you end up using, please be careful to wear gloves. A nurse once told me about the nasty nail infections which can be caused by cleaning up after fires; particles of soot/ carbon etc get under the nail and into the nail bed where they cause problems. Glove up, or even double-glove, to protect yourself. HTH.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I won't be doing the cleaning, the tenant will. But this is really important, so I'll pass this on to her. She's pregnant too, so I imagine that it's particularly important that she doesn't get any infections.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,399Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin