Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Naemoney
    • By Naemoney 7th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Naemoney
    Bankruptcy and switching utility provider
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    Bankruptcy and switching utility provider 7th Mar 18 at 8:17 AM
    Hi Forum,

I'm six months into my bankruptcy and now I'm really having to budget I've just applied to switch my gas and electricity my switch is in progress, my question is will I get a knock back due to poor credit score and bankruptcy?
    I've not been in debt ever with power providers and always paid my bills on time.
    Also I've never paid utility bills with a credit card I don't know if that makes a difference?

Thanks,
    Naemoney
Page 1
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    Hi there was a thread on this recently if you search you may find it but in the meantime....
    I changed to British Gas upon moving house and they did not do a credit check.
    I later moved to First Utility and they did check my file, I was asked to put down 300 deposit to be repaid after 6 direct debits had gone through, this was refunded on the same day the 6th direct debit went out.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 8th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    Although I stayed with the same provider for the first 12 months or so - I have switched almost every year since and never been knocked back or asked for a deposit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

802Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin