Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    • 1,463Posts
    • 14,602Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Wednesday 7th March 2018
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 7th March 2018 7th Mar 18 at 4:23 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 3
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 12,424 Posts
    • 39,645 Thanks
    Nelski
    Nelski I'm glad you're ok. Sorry if I'm hounding you but you are a fellow parent sufferer and there aren't many of us on here, so we can't afford to lose anyone!

My spare bedroom clean/tidy was going well, but time ran away from me today....... oh ok I got fed up . I shall have to finish off sorting/tidying the craft stuff and the DGC's toys on Friday after Mr Fix It's retinopathy appointment.
    I'm going to Dad's tomorrow for a cleaning session and bedding change, but I have seen in the local rag that we have an amber warning for sleet and snow over night, again . Anyway I can walk up to Dad's but it remains to be seen that he will come back for his tea. I was going to do a poor man's Sunday lunch as we missed it last week. Steak pie, roast pots, veg and gravy, followed by his favourite, Viene**a ice cream.
    Thanks to all the healing thoughts for Mr Fix It, but I noticed this afternoon that he has two odd slippers on, both fair isle but different colours . One's grey and blue and the other's black and red . Perhaps that's why he's been off colour lately .
    Now I'm putting my thinking head on to see if I can answer some questions on Pointless .
    Enjoy your evening all, see you sometime tomorrow.
    nan xx
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    Not hounding me at all xx and yes I agree about sticking together over our painful parents . If that is a poor mans sunday lunch btw I will be round tomorrow

The Chase for me ....its easier than pointless
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 46,022 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Steak pie, roast pots, veg and gravy, followed by his favourite, Viene**a ice cream.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    My dad used to love Viene!!a, when he moved into care and we had to clear the house there was a chest freezer in the gararge absolutely full of them!
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Mar 18, 6:53 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 5,504 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Happy Birthday Redruby
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 7,353 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hello from ‘what was a sunny but chill wind’ Dublin,

Managed to sort an Euro bank account, then treated ourselves to coffee & fresh cream cakes Back to hotel to drop off rucksack & then 2 hour open-topped bus tour of Dublin. Our driver/guide Ken was brilliant - very funny & very knowledgeable . Satin the top deck which was fine when the sun was shining but very chilly when the wind started & the clouds hid the sun Thank you everyone for your good wishes re our trip to Dublin. We have had a good time & will come back - a bit longer next time

HH, get you two slow cookers - we’ll done & I am pleased that your cc seems to be paying attention to your desires rather than being on the bully bandwagon!

Speky, I reiterate other posters comments - start saving for a pension ASAP & make sure employer has you signed up. Re the amount 1% is a little low - save as much as you can afford & when pay rises come try to increase a little bit. Unfortunately nowadays people almost have to start saving for a pension before they are born

RR hope you are having a good birthday.

Back to RL tomorrow but DH & I have had a great time & are just off out for pub meal &
    I will be having a soak in the bath when we get back to the hotel - it seems rude not to

Hugs & positive vibes to one and all

MrsSD
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 7th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4,986 Posts
    • 48,338 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Happy birthday Ruby.....hope that you have not broken the law by doing any housework and that you have had a great day and that it continues for the rest of the day.

Mrs SD...glad that you have enjoyed your trip to Dublin.....I am about 20km away on the way south......if you come again perhaps we can meet for a coffee.

Girls school bus still not running, DD2 left them to school this morning and I collected them this afternoon, not sure yet about tomorrow, DGD1 has confirmation on Friday so no school for either of them that day.

Speky....I would go with all other posters who have said chuck as much at your pension as you can.......I didn't work for 20 years after I got married so ended up with a very small pension, certainly not enough to live on if I had no other income (thanks to OH). So prepare well!

Holly.....glad to hear that you are organising your life so well......keep up the good work.

Hester.....can't imagine how frustrated your DD must feel!

Csarina....hope that DD continues to improve.....and rest.

Judi......stay strong.

Elona.....do not even consider cooking on Sunday......it is an even stronger law than not doing housework on your birthday!

Enjoy the rest of your day......stay safe and warm

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 18,957 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Happy Birthday RR!

Speky the more you can put away now, the better, especially since your employer will have a scheme which will add to your pension pot. You probably won't miss it that much and you may need it, who knows what will happen to state provision in years to come.

Csarina2 this is something I wondered about with the new tenners, I think you can't spend it in a shop but you can take it to the bank. If that's wrong, do say and I will thump OH from whom that information comes.

It was me that asked about the timing for claiming pension, I will get on with it, thank you.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 40,169 Thanks
    Floss
    I'm another caught out by pensions - as I only worked mainly part-time until the ex & I split up, it was very rare to have access to pay into a pension fund (pre pension reforms). Plus we divorced before he would have had to split the pension pot Then to cap it all the lovely Government moved my retirement age to (currently) 67. My sons aged almost 30 & 32 both pay into pension schemes, but I think any state pension will be gone by the time they are that age.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 7th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 21,161 Thanks
    RosyRed

It was me that asked about the timing for claiming pension, I will get on with it, thank you.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    You're very welcome, sorry for mixing you up with Gers
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,632Posts Today

7,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin