Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    • 1,468Posts
    • 14,668Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Wednesday 7th March 2018
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 7th March 2018 7th Mar 18 at 4:23 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 7th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 20,449 Thanks
    snoozer
    Happy birthday RR.

Tru and dumpling, you're welcome to Bruce Willis, he does nothing for me.

We're in Yorkshire until Friday, DH is replacing the fence in the front garden and I have been doing sweet FA. I'll probably have a run int Skipton or Settle today (we're fairly equidistant between the two).

DD is counting the days until her DH gets back from India (Thursday). DS has started his maternity cover in Bridgend, he isn't happy about being so far from home (his DW isn't happy either, apparently his bosses expected her to go with him - no thought that she might have her own career. In fact she is a high powered lawyer in a top London firm).
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 15,891 Posts
    • 134,698 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and another fairly mild day, although its a little bit damp at the moment
    I am off up to London at lunchtime and will be going to the cinema this afternoon to see the new Celia Imrie film with my DDs Ma-in-law then we are going out for a bite to eat afterwards as a treat, so no cooking for me .

My DD had dropped off half a cooked chicken at my house and some reduced mushrooms yesterday as she had nipped into Tescos and they were reducing bits and pieces, so when I came home last night before I went to the pub quiz as it had cooled down I stripped the chicken ,peeled the mushrooms (they were bot very big ones more like buttons really) and made a curry which I portioned up,when I came home from the pub the portions were cold enough to go into the freezer for four meals So I costed it out:

Chicken half = £1.20
    Mushrooms = 22p
    tin of chopped tomatoes = 25p(from the cupboard_
    half a diced red pepper = 25p(left over in fridge )
    desertspoon of curry powder=10p(from the cupboard
    Total £2.02
    cooked up and made four decent sized portions in a rectangular boxes for a ready meal from the freezer so four ready meal type chicken currie for around 50p a pop each .add a few more pennies for the rice when I defrost them and I think thats a pretty good result for left over cooked chicken I definitely can eat well for less in my house I could have bulked it out a bit more if I had time but I wanted it cooked and portioned before I went to the pub quiz I will give DD the cash for the chicken and mushrooms .the left over mushrooms in the fridge will go in an omelette for me for breakfast shortly so in effect five meals for round just over a couple of quid if you add the eggs this morning plus the pennies for the rice I will use when I have the curries I have some y/s naan bread in the freezer so I can use that when I get one of my ready meal curries out Nothing get wasted in my house thats for sure

Hope you all have a good day what ever you are doing

See you all tomorrow no doubt

JackieO xx

P.S. Happy birthday RR hope you have a great day xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 08-03-2018 at 9:24 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi

Speaking of retiring, may I ask for some advice.

Would you recommend that I save for retirement now? I was listening to a podcast who suggested that someone like me in their twenties, should start to put away 1% of their wage.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    The earlier the better. Think Grump was 20 when he started saving for his pension.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 25,629 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and a very Happy Birthday to RedRuby

Bit later today as had a rough night and woke up with a sinus headache so functioning a bit slower.
    Had a lovely evening last night, my DN asked if I would like to stay and eat with her & hubbie, my SIL and other niece also came round, both with partners, so it was a merry little meal with lots of laughter, good for the soul.
    I am meeting a pal for lunch today, think we will go to the big garden centre which is local to her workplace and then can have a look around after.
    Holly good to read that your meeting was productive and there is a sensible plan in place.
    Another big fan of the lovely Mr Bailey here TRU he is a very talented chap.
    Enjoy Dublin MrsSD
    Speky would recommend putting as much of your income as you can afford into your pension pot, who knows what will be around state pension wise in years to come.

Right, time to get going, have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 6,675 Posts
    • 92,975 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Thank you so much for the Birthday wishes you really are a lovely lot x

It seems to be a nice bright day here I have a wash on the go and will hang it out id it stays dry, I shall have a quick tidy round this morning but wont be doing too much, Im sure housework is illegal on your Birthday ???

Early evening my sister is collecting me and dd and we shall go to the pub for a wine or two while the men cook dinner my BIIL will drop us back later on, we do presents and cards in the evenings here so I will have that to look forward to tonight.

Im not sure what is for dinner although we might have Fridays takeaway tonight.

Specky you should start putting in now and as much as you can afford, I started a pension very young and now have quite a good nest egg built up the earlier you can start the better x

Have good days all, Im off for marmite on toast xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 40,259 Thanks
    Floss
    Speky YES! Also your employer should have a pension scheme that they pay into, which boosts your pot
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 45,358 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need. Welcome Chandelier.

Finally a day at home with no childcare duties and no sewing machine repairs needed.

CHS has been dropped at work, dgs has been dropped at school, I've had breakfast and got the WM chugging away.

My dd2 has mental health problems and needs to access some things to support her, to do this she has to jump through certain hoops. The current hoop is a ten week course on 'obtaining work when you have mental health issues'. As my dd2 has 3 jobs to keep the family afloat she really doesn't need this course but she has no choice and it means more childcare for me.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 7th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    poppy811
    Good morning All
    Thank you all for your kindness regarding DDIL. I think we have come up with a 'cunning plan'! She is going to New Zealand in early April with the new baby and my son and the little boy are moving in here for the first two weeks that she is away. My son is a Head Chef so works long hours including evenings. This will mean I can put my grandson to bed here. The childminder is taking him in the day full time and then my son has 2 weeks leave before starting his new job and can look after him until Mum gets back. Obviously this could all change depending on the news from NZ.
    Happy Birthday Red ruby.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Happy Birthday Redruby
    Sorry I didn't realise earlier, I hope that you have a lovely day.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 3,639 Posts
    • 45,358 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Happy birthday RR
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 40,557 Thanks
    Gers
    Speky - save for your future. As Floss said your employer should have auto-enroled you into a pension.

Having a solid occupational pension behind me allowed me to 'retire' at 60 years of age when the pension reforms left my new retirement age of 65+ years. You can't rely on the state pension any more and suspect more reforms will move the SP date up to the 70s.

Haven't baked yet, just listening to PopMaster first.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 7th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Happy Birthday RR and yes housework is illegal on your birthday
    Welcome Chandelier
    Poppy glad you have a solution for DDIL
    Was up early as DH is away so i have had to move into the other bedroom to keep Dolly company she is a wriggler and woke me up a few times during the night . I had to drag her out for her walk as it is raining and she hates it she is now snoozing in her bed.
    Had an appointment at the Doctors as i needed some antibiotics for my teeth i suffer with pyreah and have wobbly teeth and often get tooth pain so i always like to be prepared for a flare up and as its unlikely that i would be able to buy them in Cuba i do usually buy them over the counter when on holiday if i can.
    WM is rumbling away so i should be able to do my packing today just need to try some good frocks on to make sure they fit .
    Dinner tonight is freezer roulette
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 7th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 21,189 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Have a great day RRuby xx
    Glad DD enjoyed her meal out dumpling
    Good to hear your meeting went well HH

Just pottering around doing some housework and decided I needed a sit down Nothing on until I have to pick DGS up from nursery school.Yesterday I went into town to visit a new shop that sells handmade soap etc. as I'd seen it advertised that they sell one made with goats milk that is good for eczema.Seeing as DS,myself and DGD all suffer in differing degrees ,I thought it might be useful to try out.The lady was lovely and gave me 4 different free samples too.

My friend was meant to come on Monday and we were going out for coffee and cake but she didnt show up.No phone call or text..I suspect life is getting on top of her as her DM is in hospital.I sent a message saying I hoped everything was ok,got a bit of a garbled one back after a couple of hours,she hadnt been to see her mum but said she will ring next week.It tends to mean she has been drinking to blot things out

I'm doing salmon for tea tonight,and new potatoes,pretty quick as the DGC will be here.The salmon is some you can pop in from frozen and the spuds will cook in 5 mins in the pressure cooker along with the veg.

Hope everyone has a good day x

PS Gers- We filled in DHs state pension form online.You are then meant to receive an activation code within a week but that didnt arrive.He rang them up after 2 weeks and they were very busy and had a bit of a backlog but I would say it was here in another week.Once you input that code you get a letter/statement telling you when/what pension you'll get( I think that took about another month) and they pay it in arrears. So if you want to get it in summer I think I'd start the process now.HTH
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 40,557 Thanks
    Gers

PS Gers- We filled in DHs state pension form online.You are then meant to receive an activation code within a week but that didnt arrive.He rang them up after 2 weeks and they were very busy and had a bit of a backlog but I would say it was here in another week.Once you input that code you get a letter/statement telling you when/what pension you'll get( I think that took about another month) and they pay it in arrears. So if you want to get it in summer I think I'd start the process now.HTH
    Originally posted by RosyRed
    Not sure that this was meant for me Rosy - it was Speky who was asking about starting a pension. I don't get my SP until July next year.

Mini cakes are made and cooling. They are practically perfect, if I may say so myself. I gave them some extra time in the oven as they are deeper than a normal sandwich tin. The cream is whipped (whisks licked and in the DW) and about to be put onto the cakes. I've got two more in the oven as I just used an ordinary VS recipe. So, two for my friend, two for other colleagues and two for..... me.

Raining but mild here.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all.
    Well there's something strange going on. We have a yellow ball in the sky . It's the first time for over a week but the snow is still lying on the garden, it just doesn't want to go ! We are having sleet/rain showers too, but they are over very quickly.
    This morning I have cleaned the tiles in the kitchen and the microwave, used the long handled duster on all the walls, showing any dust webs no mercy. I have also emptied the DW and hoovered downstairs and re-booked my dental appointment. It's surprising how different I feel when the sun is out .
    This afternoon I want to give the spare bedroom a good clean, I've been giving it a lick and a promise .
    Mr Fix It is feeling a little better today, but he's not himself. He's already tipped his coffee down his top and thrown half his lunch over himself too . I know my cooking isn't that bad .
    TA thank you for mentioning about Mr TA's injection, it feel less anxious about Mr Fix It now.
    MrsSD enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your break. Jealous moi ? Yes !!! I can't wait to get away in our 'van.
    Speky YES. I reiterate Gers comments. I am a WASPI woman, I missed the cut off point by 2 months. I have an Occ Pension and savings so I was still able to retire at 60. I would not put it past any Government to move the goal posts again or remove the SP altogether .
    RedRuby Many Happy Returns of the day, I hope you have a lovely birthday.
    Holly well done. Enjoy your HM meals.
    Snoozer I'm with you on Bruce Willis, my love was for Patrick Swayze. I am hoping, that if there is another level after we pass on, he will save a dance for me .
    Nelski Are you OK ? Have I missed your posts ?
    Dumpling that Becky enjoyed her time out and about.
    Hester that you DD has to go through unnecessary hoops.
    Better stop waffling and get on with the bedroom. Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday.
    Hugs all round.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 27,154 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    ROSYRED I think it was ANCIENTOFDAYS who was asking about state pensions! x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 40,557 Thanks
    Gers
    ROSYRED I think it was ANCIENTOFDAYS who was asking about state pensions! x
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    You're right TA - it was AOD.

My lovely family overseas have made a wee video for my DM and their Grandmother. It shows all the grandchildren and the great grandchildren holding up placards with a birthday message for her. As she's very deaf an audio one wouldn't have worked. It made me cry when I saw it. Emotional day!

Now the dishes are washed, the cakes delivered and my feet are up as I watch more trash TV. It's still faily mild here but the papers are full of bad weather forecasts for tomorrow.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 12,427 Posts
    • 39,683 Thanks
    Nelski
    Hi all

Sorry for the appalling lateness wasn't going to post as my life is pretty dull atm and today involved cracking on with a pile of work and doing a load of washing However I did want to say Happy Birthday to our RR hope you have a lovely day/evening and do agree with everyone ...house work is against the law Eating cake though is not so here you go
    What a lovely day it was today I actually opened up the conservatory to work in for the first time this year and it was hot in there withe sun beating down

Speky I wish to goodness I had paid into a pension instead of thinking one day Ill get round to it. Once you start you will soon find you don't miss the money and then every time you get a pay rise/promotion up the contribution and you will end up enjoying a very comfortable early retirement unlike me who will probably never get to retire totally.

nanny you are lovely asking about me and I am so glad Mr Fix it is feeling a bit better you must worry a lot about him

Jackie i bet you and Margaret have a whale of a time Im sure she must appreciate your company so much

Holly Check you out 2 slow cookers at the same time there will be plenty of good healthy food in the freezer for those CBA days
    Elona I know what you mean about the wrist conscience that sits there in judgement nagging me to do more steps when I am busy working which at the moment involes sitting on my arris on the phone or laptop. I took mine off for a charge today....that told it

Food tonight will be a black bean and lentil burger in a roll with a big salad and some baked beans maybe. (good job I live alone )
    This was one of my experiments in veggie and gluten free cooking as one of my friends is a pain in the !!!! selective eater and is coming for dinner in week or so I tried these after a google and I love them.

Right best get back to it....that coffee break was far too long
    Last edited by Nelski; 07-03-2018 at 4:22 PM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi
    Lovely day I've had. Nearly broke me neck cleaning the top of the wardrobes but it was worth it.

I don't have a pension but I suppose my house is my pension...pity I'd have to sell it and rent.

Have a good evening all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Nelski I'm glad you're ok. Sorry if I'm hounding you but you are a fellow parent sufferer and there aren't many of us on here, so we can't afford to lose anyone!

My spare bedroom clean/tidy was going well, but time ran away from me today....... oh ok I got fed up . I shall have to finish off sorting/tidying the craft stuff and the DGC's toys on Friday after Mr Fix It's retinopathy appointment.
    I'm going to Dad's tomorrow for a cleaning session and bedding change, but I have seen in the local rag that we have an amber warning for sleet and snow over night, again . Anyway I can walk up to Dad's but it remains to be seen that he will come back for his tea. I was going to do a poor man's Sunday lunch as we missed it last week. Steak pie, roast pots, veg and gravy, followed by his favourite, Viene**a ice cream.
    Thanks to all the healing thoughts for Mr Fix It, but I noticed this afternoon that he has two odd slippers on, both fair isle but different colours . One's grey and blue and the other's black and red . Perhaps that's why he's been off colour lately .
    Now I'm putting my thinking head on to see if I can answer some questions on Pointless .
    Enjoy your evening all, see you sometime tomorrow.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin