Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 7th Mar 18, 1:46 AM
    • 3,272Posts
    • 2,239Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Copycat government website fraudsters 'jailed'
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:46 AM
    Copycat government website fraudsters 'jailed' 7th Mar 18 at 1:46 AM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43309881:

A group of fraudsters who conned UK consumers out of 37m by selling passports and driving licences through copycat websites have been sentenced to more than 35 years in jail.

The six people, led by Peter Hall and including his wife Claire, operated websites that impersonated official government services.

They then sold key documents to people for inflated prices.

The illegal profits were used to fund luxury holidays and cars.
Page 1
    • imho
    • By imho 7th Mar 18, 7:25 AM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    imho
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:25 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:25 AM
    Plus they paid Google extra money to be the top web address on searching for Government web pages. So Google is at fault as well.
    His wife only got 4 years in prison.
    Hope the courts do a process of crime act.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 9,145 Posts
    • 14,095 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    Crikey! You'd not want ride her into battle! She will survive prison easy.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 7th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    I seem to remember a lot of users on here claiming there was nothing wrong with these websites, and it was all the customers fault for using them.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 9,974 Posts
    • 11,246 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    I seem to remember a lot of users on here claiming there was nothing wrong with these websites, and it was all the customers fault for using them.
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote
    Some users (myself included) stated that there was noting wrong with some of the websites that were providing passport and driving licence form completion services.
    Not all of these websites were made up to look like official government portals and even though some of them clearly stated that they were providing a paid for service that could be obtained for free elsewhere, people still used them then complained when they didn't read past the first page and didn't even glance at the T&C's.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 4,333 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    Are we expecting a resurgence from hpuse?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 20,048 Posts
    • 53,778 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote
    I think you'll find that 'a lot of users on here' pointed out that these copycat websites had clearly visible notifications that you could obtain the EHIC/passport/whatever direct from the official website.
    And some even gave the link to the official website.

Lots of people who had used these websites were refused refunds from their financial institutions.
    Why would that have been?

Regardless of what has happened in court now, the 'claims' from 'a lot of users' you refer to need to be taken in context at the time of posting.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 12,304 Posts
    • 16,570 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    Are we expecting a resurgence from hpuse?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Please don't tempt fate!

They, imo, derailed that thread for a lot longer than necessary instead of just allowing advice to be given by others.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin