Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jjcjjcjjc
    • By jjcjjcjjc 6th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jjcjjcjjc
    Housing Benefit Expert Assessor NEEDED
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:46 PM
    Housing Benefit Expert Assessor NEEDED 6th Mar 18 at 10:46 PM
    I currently receive just £50 a week housing benefit as I work full time. My employer is giving everyone £1000 of shares to be paid as cash (due to company being taken over). After tax and national insurance I suspect this payment will reduce to about £700. This is not a BONUS at all. I'm concerned about this because I'm wondering if this will this shut down my Housing Benefit claim - I'm paid weekly so only one weekly payslip will include this amount. I actually only earn the minimum wage so don't want my housing benefit claim shut down - especially as there are no new claims for housing benefit. Yes but that itself is an issue - I phoned up Universal Credit the other day (because I would be better of on it) and the woman said as far as she knows there is no equivalent system on Universal Credit - she said nobody who earns more than £350 a month is allowed to claim Universal Credit at the moment anyway. Just one weekly payslip will show this extra £700 so please advise me on what is likely to happen
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Mar 18, 11:22 PM
    • 25,374 Posts
    • 14,970 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:22 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:22 PM
    Can you opt to have the money paid into your pension scheme before you receive it?
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 7th Mar 18, 1:20 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:20 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:20 AM
    I thought you were allowed to have £16k in savings when you were on housing benefit? I'm on housing benefit and what I'd do is contact their office and tell them what's happened. As far as I'm aware, though, you only have to report 'changes in circumstances', which your payment isn't, it's just a one off bonus. At least if you phone and ask them, and ask them to put a note on your file that you have done so, you will have done the right thing. No-one wants to get it wrong with benefit payments and the only people who really understand and can advise properly are those who actually work in the benefits office.
    • jjcjjcjjc
    • By jjcjjcjjc 7th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jjcjjcjjc
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    WE have no option but to be paid the shares as wages, also income and capital are not the same thing so this would be viewed as income, I just don't want my housing benefit claim shut down over this because apparently there is no equivalent system on Universal Credit (only get £50 a week hb anyway but I still depend on it)
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 2,568 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    You will need to report that extra money and at the same time maybe you can explain that it's just a one off payment. They will also tell you at the same time what will happen to your current claim.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 7th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    tboo
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    I currently receive just £50 a week housing benefit as I work full time. My employer is giving everyone £1000 of shares to be paid as cash (due to company being taken over). After tax and national insurance I suspect this payment will reduce to about £700. This is not a BONUS at all. I'm concerned about this because I'm wondering if this will this shut down my Housing Benefit claim - I'm paid weekly so only one weekly payslip will include this amount. I actually only earn the minimum wage so don't want my housing benefit claim shut down - especially as there are no new claims for housing benefit. Yes but that itself is an issue - I phoned up Universal Credit the other day (because I would be better of on it) and the woman said as far as she knows there is no equivalent system on Universal Credit - she said nobody who earns more than £350 a month is allowed to claim Universal Credit at the moment anyway. Just one weekly payslip will show this extra £700 so please advise me on what is likely to happen
    Originally posted by jjcjjcjjc
    They will just use the earnings for that week and calculate the claim, then put you back onto your normal wages the week after.

You won't get paid for that week but will incur an overpayment.

It won't close the claim.
    started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    I don't have a diary but I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    30/04/18 £3600 to go // 15/05/18 £2349.37 to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin