Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DRP
    • By DRP 6th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,910Posts
    • 3,376Thanks
    DRP
    New roof for converted loft
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    New roof for converted loft 6th Mar 18 at 10:22 PM
    Hi y'all

We have a converted loft that was 'regularised' by BC when we moved in 4 years ago. Soon we are getting it refelted, retiled, new velux flashing kits x3, and the small dormer reclad.

The loft was converted c1998, so the 2013 regularisation (I assume) shows the loft meets the BC standards at the time it was built?

1. Does the work described above require me to inform BC? If so, will the work mean the whole loft must meet current standards for loft conversions? The following from the BR .gov site suggests not as we are replacing tiles like for like and not modifying anything below the felt:
    If the existing roof covering is to be replaced with a different material to its original for example, slate to tiles, then approval under the Building Regulations is likely to be needed to ensure the roof will be adequate in terms of structural stability (applicable where the replacement tile will be significantly heavier or lighter than the existing), and also meets requirements in respect of fire safety and energy efficiency
    2. I intend to improve the insulation later in the year - take down plasterboard, (paltry) insulation and re-do. How much can I do without the need for BC involvement?

Any comments appreciated.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Mar 18, 1:41 AM
    • 25,007 Posts
    • 68,490 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:41 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:41 AM
    I'm not sure why it's a problem to involve BC? Why would someone upgrade and try to hide it? It's nothing but a positive. It's postive, inspected work. A bonus to any future buyer.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • DRP
    • By DRP 7th Mar 18, 6:15 AM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    DRP
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:15 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:15 AM
    I'm not sure why it's a problem to involve BC? Why would someone upgrade and try to hide it? It's nothing but a positive. It's postive, inspected work. A bonus to any future buyer.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    For Q1, If it isn't necessary legally, then it's extra hassle & cost for both myself and the BC team.

For Q2 If I can do some or all of the work in a way that avoids w/o BC involvement then again, it saves time & money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin