Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 6th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 5,350Posts
    • 18,507Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    eBay.com - Buying from the UK
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    eBay.com - Buying from the UK 6th Mar 18 at 9:53 PM
    I have an ebay UK account.

I've seen something on ebay.com which is not for sale on the UK site and does not sell to the UK.

I have just signed up for a drop and ship virtual US address and so could buy and get it delivered there.

My question is, is it easy to sign up to ebay.com as a non-US resident ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 6th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    Try it and see - surely that would tell you immediately?
    • RFW
    • By RFW 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    I have an ebay UK account.

I've seen something on ebay.com which is not for sale on the UK site and does not sell to the UK.

I have just signed up for a drop and ship virtual US address and so could buy and get it delivered there.

My question is, is it easy to sign up to ebay.com as a non-US resident ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Tiddlywinks
    From what I remember you can log in with the UK account and then just add the US address.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 6th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    From what I remember you can log in with the UK account and then just add the US address.
    Originally posted by RFW
    Just tried that, it does allow it.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 6th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    Yup, It does allow it. ebay does not have any policy related to that and I've also tried it before when I bought a beauty product and had it delivered to a friend in the US.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 7th Mar 18, 12:17 AM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:17 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:17 AM
    It may also allow you to buy the US item within the UK site. Just put the item number in the search bar and it will put it up with the price converted into sterling.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 7th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    Try it and see - surely that would tell you immediately?
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Why the issue with my question?

Why didn't I just try it? Because sometimes eBay can go into full anti-fraud mode and suspend an account pending verification etc. I don't need that hassle so came to this forum... which happens to have a board with people (well some people) that are much more familiar with the company than I am.

Fancy that... someone coming to the eBay board and asking for insight... whatever next. Asking for a recipe on the Old Style board?
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 7th Mar 18, 12:23 AM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:23 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:23 AM
    It may also allow you to buy the US item within the UK site. Just put the item number in the search bar and it will put it up with the price converted into sterling.
    Originally posted by RFW
    That was the first thing I tried and the uk site doesn't recognise the item number of the .com listing. It's weird because on the .com site it does say International postage which usually means it can be found on the UK site.

I shall try your suggestion about using my uk log in and adding an address and hope that works. Thank you.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Mar 18, 6:49 AM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:49 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:49 AM
    That was the first thing I tried and the uk site doesn't recognise the item number of the .com listing. It's weird because on the .com site it does say International postage which usually means it can be found on the UK site.

I shall try your suggestion about using my uk log in and adding an address and hope that works. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Tiddlywinks
    Just sign up on .com Back in the day, eBay only existed on .com and my primary account is a .com account. I have accounts in au and sg. The sg account is specifically useful as a seller as it allows you to send personalised bulk messages and a few other tweaks.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 26,937 Posts
    • 10,845 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    My login does not work on .com even though thats where i originally signed up.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 60,307 Posts
    • 42,968 Thanks
    soolin
    My login does not work on .com even though thats where i originally signed up.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Again this seems to be a thing that varies from user to user. I sell regularly on ebay.com and have no issue whatsoever signing in and out at will. My account was originally opened on ebay.com as well .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 26,937 Posts
    • 10,845 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I preferred yahoo auctions, the way the time extended if someone sniped was something I liked a lot.

More trusting times I think, paid money directly into a sellers account and no worry about whether it would arrive.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 60,307 Posts
    • 42,968 Thanks
    soolin
    I preferred yahoo auctions, the way the time extended if someone sniped was something I liked a lot.

More trusting times I think, paid money directly into a sellers account and no worry about whether it would arrive.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I would not want to go back to those early days at all, the idea that my end time on an auction can be arbitrarily changed would put me off entirely. I think these sites control enough of our listings as it is, at least leave me able to control exactly when my things end.

As for no buyer protection, oh yes, got well done over a few times with that, great times for a scammer. I ended up only buying really cheap items just in case seller turned out to be a scammer, I bought only what I could afford to lose. Feedback was no help to choose a good seller either as in the early days it could be imported from any other dodgy site, or can be left even without a purchase by the scammer using fake accounts.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin