Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9,320Posts
    • 57,461Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Ebay: Requested Return
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    Ebay: Requested Return 6th Mar 18 at 9:10 PM
    Hi

I sold an item that the buyer wishes to return (do not fit), he's also claiming that the item is counterfeit but when I batted that back at him with evidence there's no mention of that in his second message, just that the item does not fit.

How do I recoup my fees please? Do I have to ask him to open a case for return and what are his choices?

Thank you
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 6th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    Yes, he needs to open a case. Provided the item was as described, it should be on the basis of change of mind so he has to pay return postage.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 6th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 5,774 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    OP, just be aware that if the buyer opens a case because they!!!8217;ve changed their mind / item doesn!!!8217;t fit, then you are under no obligation to accept the return (as long as you!!!8217;re a private seller).
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    Ask him to open a return for "does not fit".

He will have to pay returns postage. When the item is returned you refund through the case and your fees are reimbursed (except for 20p Paypal transaction fee).

If you don't have a returns policy (ie no returns on the listing) you can refuse the return for "does not fit" but it will likely end up in a SNAD where you will be forced to pay for the return.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 7th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 6,559 Thanks
    janb5
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:51 PM
    I have a similar example where someone has bought a Debenhams double duvet cover set from me and claims it is the wrong size for a double.

I know it is perfect and fits beautifully so am quite miffed that this transaction is frozen while I wait for him to return item.

Luckily he has left me good feedback so now he cant neg me.
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 9th Mar 18, 12:15 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:15 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:15 AM
    if your item is in fact as described, and as 19lottie82 stated you are a private seller, then simply refuse to refund. You are pretty sure to get bad feedback though, but most buyers will leave bad feedback regardless of you accepting a return or not.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Mar 18, 5:49 AM
    • 12,151 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:49 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:49 AM
    if your item is in fact as described, and as 19lottie82 stated you are a private seller, then simply refuse to refund. You are pretty sure to get bad feedback though, but most buyers will leave bad feedback regardless of you accepting a return or not.
    Originally posted by vtech19
    The feedback is neither here nor there. If the seller refuses a return the buyer is likely to make up an excuse to return it as SNAD. The seller will then have to pay for the return and may find the item has a rip/damage where it didn't before.

If the OP has a no return policy then she is within her rights to not accept it, but thinking that's the end of it is naive. Hence the warning most of us give.
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 9th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Nesty
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    TBH I do sometimes think stating no returns is just pointless on ebay.
    I offer returns (even, when I don't actually want too on certain items), as I feel boosts sales & if someone does want to return. Then they kindly pay for their own return postage, (if change of mind/don't fit etc).
    If a buyer really wants to return something & they can't do it nicely, then they will often up the ante. Often with it, coming out of the sellers pocket!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin