Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stickyvicci
    • By stickyvicci 6th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stickyvicci
    higher standard rate vs higher unit rate?
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    higher standard rate vs higher unit rate? 6th Mar 18 at 9:00 PM
    what is best in term of looking at tariffs. having a higher standard rate with lower unit rate or having a higher nit rate with a lower standard rate
Page 1
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 6th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 4,531 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    Entirely depends upon your consumption!

• CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 7th Mar 18, 1:19 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:19 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:19 AM
    Indeed....

The accepted logic is that users with high use benefit from tariffs with a high standing charge and low unit rate.

Low users benefit from low standing charge and higher unit rates.

However.....as I often say....this does not really matter....

It is a red herring to get caught up on how the tariff is structured..

As long as you have accurate kwh figures base on your annual consumption, and you use this in a comparison site......whatever comes up as cheapest, regardless of how it is structured....is the cheapest...

A comparison site does all the work for you.....
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 7th Mar 18, 7:43 AM
    • 3,536 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:43 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:43 AM
    AS others have said, if you are a high user then you might benefit from a lower unit rate and higher standing charge and lower users usually benefit from a lower standing charge and slightly higher unit rate but for most people with average consumption the difference is only a couple of 's.

Use a comparison site and put in your annual consumption in kwh. Then if you are really interested do it again by increasing your consumption by 20% and then reducing by 20% and see if it makes much difference.

Playing about with the figures on a comparison site wont cost you anything but give you the opportunity to explore differnt scenarios - totally ignore the "savings" it's what you have to pay that counts
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    Indeed....

The accepted logic is that users with high use benefit from tariffs with a high standing charge and low unit rate.

Low users benefit from low standing charge and higher unit rates.

However.....as I often say....this does not really matter....

It is a red herring to get caught up on how the tariff is structured..

As long as you have accurate kwh figures base on your annual consumption, and you use this in a comparison site......whatever comes up as cheapest, regardless of how it is structured....is the cheapest...

A comparison site does all the work for you.....
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    Imho, it matters in one key respect only which is higher than projected usage (eg; very cold Winter). This is why I run three comparisons for gas using my annual projected figure then plus/minus 10%. Sometimes it changes the supplier/tariff and sometimes it doesn't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin