Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 6th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,559Posts
    • 2,733Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    Odd letter from new owner of a car
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    Odd letter from new owner of a car 6th Mar 18 at 8:39 PM
    Today I received a letter from someone at the other end of the country saying he had bought a car that I sold a year ago and did I have a spare key. I thought this was a bit weird. The car only had a manual key, not the expensive electronic type as there was no facility for that kind of locking. It would only cost a few pounds to buy a spare key. I'm inclined to ignore the letter but I can't help thinking it's odd.
    Any thoughts?
Page 3
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    John Menzies? Have you travelled back to the 90's?
    Originally posted by custardy
    Lots of us older folk still refer to shops (and pubs) by their names from many years ago, especially if the nature of the business hasn't changed.

Resist progress and change with all your might!
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Lots of us older folk still refer to shops (and pubs) by their names from many years ago, especially if the nature of the business apocryphal anecdote hasn't changed.
    Originally posted by facade
    Typo corrected for you...

<grin>
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    Typo corrected for you...

<grin>
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Doesn't make it any less true, I've been turning left at the Elephant & Castle in Wolverhampton for over 30 years. I'd still direct you to turn left at the Elephant & Castle, and it was knocked down in 2001
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,714 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Doesn't make it any less true, I've been turning left at the Elephant & Castle in Wolverhampton for over 30 years. I'd still direct you to turn left at the Elephant & Castle, and it was knocked down in 2001
    Originally posted by facade
    Would you then be surprised when I failed to turn left, and got hideously lost?
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 9th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11,620 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    also it isn't comfortable thinking that the previous owner has access to your car.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Should be fine as long as you don't give them your address.
    Oh, wait...
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    Would you then be surprised when I failed to turn left, and got hideously lost?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Yes, everybody knows the Elephant & Castle

• NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 9th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 9,436 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Is it as hideous as the one in South London?

I have a variant on the stamp one... A couple of years ago, I bought a book of stamps in a gallery gift shop and the assistant said "I don't know why we have these - nobody sends post any more do they?" while standing next to dozens of postcards and greetings cards.

On the original topic - it would never occur to me to track down a previous owner, I would have been badgering the seller for any keys/handbooks etc. For a start, the address on the owner history isn't necessarily current. So up to the OP if they have something to send on or just shred the letter - nobody is going to know.

I have once used Facebook to track someone down - the people we bought our house from, in order to send on some important post. But I knew them (albeit briefly) and knew that they were a councillor as well so I could identify the right one and send a polite message. They wouldn't be able to do it in reverse without messaging everybody in London with my name.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 9.68 $1.99 3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 9th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Not actually helpful in any way, but this reminds me of the time my friend received an impeccably hand written letter from an older gentleman informing her that they had recently broken the door handle on their car and that, because she was the last owner (before she traded it in 18 months previously) she should send him some money to cover the cost of repair
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    Sorry, we still think of WH Smith as John Menzies
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 9th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Ever considered that they might not be in England?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 8,903 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Not actually helpful in any way, but this reminds me of the time my friend received an impeccably hand written letter from an older gentleman informing her that they had recently broken the door handle on their car and that, because she was the last owner (before she traded it in 18 months previously) she should send him some money to cover the cost of repair
    Originally posted by Piggywinkle
    Some years ago my father bought a car from a dealer. Everything OK no problems with car.

Over six months later father gets a phone call from a rather agitated man who was the nephew of the car's previous owner, an elderly lady. Apparently his aunt never cancelled the car's insurance and nephew was expecting my father to repay his aunt!!

Father patiently but firmly explained to nephew that vehicle insurance doesn't transfer and the new owner of any vehicle has to arrange their own insurance!
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 9th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Do you have the key OP?
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 9th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    treboeth
    Do you have the key OP?
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    that was already asked in post 20 first page, no answer yet though
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 10th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 2,128 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    that was already asked in post 20 first page, no answer yet though
    Originally posted by treboeth
    I know that was why I asked again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin