Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 6th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,559Posts
    • 2,733Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    Odd letter from new owner of a car
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    Odd letter from new owner of a car 6th Mar 18 at 8:39 PM
    Today I received a letter from someone at the other end of the country saying he had bought a car that I sold a year ago and did I have a spare key. I thought this was a bit weird. The car only had a manual key, not the expensive electronic type as there was no facility for that kind of locking. It would only cost a few pounds to buy a spare key. I'm inclined to ignore the letter but I can't help thinking it's odd.
    Any thoughts?
Page 2
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 7th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Years ago I bought a second hand Subaru Impreza from a dealer. It didn't come with remote central locking as standard, but someone had fitted an after-market alarm/immobiliser that added the feature to an extra fob on the keyring.

What I didn't realise at the time, was as well as the two remotes, and a key to disable the alarm box under the bonnet, there was supposed to be a little doodad that could disarm the system from the drivers seat by touching it against a contact point added to the dash (for use if the battery in the remote failed etc)

The dealer I bought it from claimed no knowledge of it, so I wrote to the previous keeper asking if they still had it (or even if they got it when they bought it). They confirmed they'd handed it over, including a description of it and the name of the employee they'd given it to, which was enough to get the dealer to have a proper look and actually find it and hand it over.
    • cb1979
    • By cb1979 7th Mar 18, 12:23 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    cb1979
    When my Daughters Car was in an accident and was a write off she got paid out and the vehicle was taken away by Copart vehicle dismantlers

A few months later it had obviously been repaired as the new owner tracked my Daughter down through searching for her name on Facebook and had the cheek to ask for the service books, handbooks etc.

She politely declined his request
    Last edited by cb1979; 08-03-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Reply........sorry no, but they are inexpensive form the key cutters. All the best.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 07-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    When my Daughters VW Beetle was in an accident and was a write off she got paid out and the vehicle was taken away by Copart vehicle dismantlers

A few months later it had obviously been repaired as the new owner tracked my Daughter down through searching for her name on Facebook and had the cheek to ask for the service books, handbooks etc.

Originally posted by cb1979
    What was "cheeky" about that, if she had the handbooks/service book etc then why the hell not do a good deed and pass them on to the new owner.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Mar 18, 12:31 PM
    • 17,383 Posts
    • 15,727 Thanks
    AdrianC
    When my Daughters VW Beetle was in an accident and was a write off she got paid out and the vehicle was taken away by Copart vehicle dismantlers

I fail to see the issue.

The insurers chose not to repair the car, as it was cheaper for them to pay the pre-collision value to your daughter, taking ownership of it in the process.

This is the point at which your daughter's direct involvement with the car stopped. In effect, she sold it to the insurer.

The insurer flagged it as a write-off, but of a repairable type. Copart are a salvage auctioneer, not a dismantler.
    https://www.copart.co.uk/

Copart then sold the car on behalf of the owners, the insurer.
    Somebody then bought the car, and repaired it. They felt that was a financially worthwhile activity, while the insurer did not.

So what's the problem with them then asking the previous owner if there's any paperwork that didn't get passed down the chain in the confusion of a claim after a relatively major incident?
    • k12479
    • By k12479 7th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    k12479
    So what's the problem...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The online stalking part, perhaps. Writing a letter to the last address on the V5 is one thing, tracking someone down and contacting them through social media is another.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 9,413 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    If your key was wearing out though would you actually look on the log book to find a previous owner and then write a letter to them a year after you bought the car? I would go to the key man in Tesco car park and get another one cut.
    Originally posted by mrsyardbroom
    He might have bought it yesterday. You have jumped to an unwarranted conclusion. As said by another poster just have any look and do the decent thing if yiu happen to have the keys..
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 7th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    brianposter
    Broken original key ?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    The online stalking part, perhaps. Writing a letter to the last address on the V5 is one thing, tracking someone down and contacting them through social media is another.
    Originally posted by k12479
    This.

If someone tracked me down on social media and started asking casual questions about a previous car then I'd ignore them. If they wrote a letter to previous address on V5 then I may help them.
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 7th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie

Why? my sons recently wrote off his car and it is at Copart. We've the two keys here. If someone was to ask, I'd happily post them to them.

Along with the service record and any other relevent items we had.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 7th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Korkyb
    I don't think its odd at all, seems a reasonable request.

If I did have the spare key I'd send it on (after confirming they do own the car).

As for someone "stalking" on Facebook! Many young people wouldn't know what a letter is & contacting someone through social media is perfectly natural to them.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 8th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    • 26,247 Posts
    • 318,660 Thanks
    davemorton
    They might have lost the only key they had.

What was "cheeky" about that, if she had the handbooks/service book etc then why the hell not do a good deed and pass them on to the new owner.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Totally agree.

Originally posted by k12479
    Its an age thing, this is how the younger generation do things.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • Gwendo40
    • By Gwendo40 8th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Gwendo40
    I'm not into facebook or any other social media but it seems rather odd to have a publicly available profile on facebook and then insinuate someone has been ''online stalking'' when they make what appears to be a perfectly reasonable approach and request.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,353 Thanks
    custardy
    If I recall correctly, didn!!!8217;t Fiat have some sort of master key system where you got 2 blue keys and a red key and you could only get a new blue key for every day use if you had the red key?
    Originally posted by MX5huggy
    not on the Panda. Old or new.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 8th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 10,117 Posts
    • 7,575 Thanks
    GunJack
    IF it's transponder-less.

If we're talking about a modern (2004-on, facelifted in 2012) Panda, then it won't be.
    If we're talking about an original (1980s), then it will be.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I'd go with this.... had a '95 Vectra with a separate remote fob, but the key itself was chipped with a code to disable the immobiliser when put in the ignition. Vauxhall gave a credit-card size bit of card with key code, and some other numbers on it, couldn't get replacements without all the codes...and they'd charge you around £90 if you lost the card and needed the info off it
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I'm not into facebook or any other social media but it seems rather odd to have a publicly available profile on facebook and then insinuate someone has been ''online stalking'' when they make what appears to be a perfectly reasonable approach and request.
    Originally posted by Gwendo40
    Anyone can look someone up on Facebook and message them while still having the rest of their profile private where only people on their friends list can see their posts and interactions.
    • missile
    • By missile 8th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    I don't think its odd at all, ...Many young people wouldn't know what a letter is & contacting someone through social media is perfectly natural to them.
    Originally posted by Korkyb
    When in John Menzies yesterday, I was surprised when a young lady asked a shop assistant whether stamp should go top left or right to post her mothers day card. I was amazed when the assistant did not know
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    When in John Menzies yesterday, I was surprised when a young lady asked a shop assistant whether stamp should go top left or right to post her mothers day card. I was amazed when the assistant did not know
    Originally posted by missile
    Also the problem with the generation you describe is they are incapable of using Google too.
    • Ranger8
    • By Ranger8 9th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    Ranger8
    If you still have the keys and or handbooks for your old car I cannot see any problem in forwarding them on to the new owner
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,353 Thanks
    custardy
    Originally posted by missile
    John Menzies? Have you travelled back to the 90's?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

7,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin