Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 6th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,559Posts
    • 2,733Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    Odd letter from new owner of a car
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    Odd letter from new owner of a car 6th Mar 18 at 8:39 PM
    Today I received a letter from someone at the other end of the country saying he had bought a car that I sold a year ago and did I have a spare key. I thought this was a bit weird. The car only had a manual key, not the expensive electronic type as there was no facility for that kind of locking. It would only cost a few pounds to buy a spare key. I'm inclined to ignore the letter but I can't help thinking it's odd.
    Any thoughts?
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 10,961 Posts
    • 7,777 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    Doesn't sound odd to me. The new owner just wants to make sure no-one else has a spare key to their car, particularly if they are expecting to have more than a single key.

What car is it?
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 6th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    Ive only bought from a dealer a few times and I’ve written to a few previous owners on the log book asking them did they have any serious faults or niggles etc and put my email address down and luckily they’ve said “faultless car, enjoy it,” etc etc..

If he’s put his address down then if you did have a key I can’t see why there shouldn’t be a problem posting it.
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 6th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    I just thought after a year it seemed a bit odd. The car is a Fiat Panda and it was sold at auction.
    Last edited by mrsyardbroom; 06-03-2018 at 9:29 PM.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 6th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    I just thought after a year it seemed a bit odd.
    Originally posted by mrsyardbroom
    Yes I suppose it is. Maybe his key is wearing out.
    I see what you mean airing on the side of caution though. There are that many weird and wonderful believable scams going around you never know what’s real or not!
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    Just ignore it would be my advice.
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 6th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    Yes I suppose it is. Maybe his key is wearing out.
    I see what you mean airing on the side of caution though. There are that many weird and wonderful believable scams going around you never know what!!!8217;s real or not!
    Originally posted by docmatt
    If your key was wearing out though would you actually look on the log book to find a previous owner and then write a letter to them a year after you bought the car? I would go to the key man in Tesco car park and get another one cut.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 6th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    Only the time frame doesn't make sense. Though who knows how long ago he bought it? Maybe a dealer bought it to repair at auction? Was it in need of such. or maybe it took a long time to sell.

I had a simiolar letter about a car that was "written off". And I mean rolled and passenger side roof crushed in and damage to that wheel etc. I guess someone got it and fixed it. Hope it was repaired well. Unfortunatly it was quite late though given the damage I guess that's plausable. unfortunatly I had just gotten round to chucking the extra key and manuals the week before!
    • gerdo
    • By gerdo 6th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    gerdo
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    Just ignore it would be my advice.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Or how about you be decent enough to reply, he's only asking if you have a spare key.
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 6th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    If I recall correctly, didn!!!8217;t Fiat have some sort of master key system where you got 2 blue keys and a red key and you could only get a new blue key for every day use if you had the red key?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 6th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 1,998 Thanks
    Ectophile
    If I recall correctly, didn!!!8217;t Fiat have some sort of master key system where you got 2 blue keys and a red key and you could only get a new blue key for every day use if you had the red key?
    Originally posted by MX5huggy
    I think that rather depends on the model. My Panda came with one remote key fob and one plain key. No funny colour keys.

I believe the cheaper model didn't have the key fob.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 17,385 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I just thought after a year it seemed a bit odd. The car is a Fiat Panda and it was sold at auction.
    Originally posted by mrsyardbroom
    Do you mean an original Panda, or the modern one?

I'd be very surprised if the modern ones didn't come with transponder immobilisers and remote locking. It sounds as if the main key had been lost before you bought it, leaving you with the backup non-remote one.

The master key system was older - my Alfa 155 came with the "DO NOT WHATEVER YOU DO LOSE THIS" blue key, and two red everyday ones, back in 1997.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 7th Mar 18, 6:05 AM
    • 13,537 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    A replacement key also costs more than a few pounds
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 7th Mar 18, 6:07 AM
    • 13,537 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    Ive only bought from a dealer a few times and I’ve written to a few previous owners on the log book asking them did they have any serious faults or niggles etc and put my email address down and luckily they’ve said “faultless car, enjoy it,” etc etc..

If he’s put his address down then if you did have a key I can’t see why there shouldn’t be a problem posting it.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    I don't get the point of this. Even if they sold it with major faults the dealer may well have repaired the vehicle so the information is literally useless.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 7th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Cars are sold with 2 keys and often some other security key.

Having bought a car, you hope it will have both keys but it seems lots of people don't bother about fishing out spare keys from the man drawer.

Sensible enquiry as spare keys can cost a lot to replace, and also it isn't comfortable thinking that the previous owner has access to your car.

So sensible enquiry. Polite and friendly reply - perhaps explaining whether it was lost, never had one as bought with one key etc.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 7th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    A replacement key also costs more than a few pounds
    Originally posted by arcon5
    If it's only a basic key without a transponder chip in it (such as the one the OP stated was the type in question) then yes, in many cases, a replacement key can be purchased for only a few £s

http://www.keytrader.co.uk/Vehicle-Keys/Car-Keys/FIAT.html
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 17,385 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    AdrianC
    IF it's transponder-less.

If we're talking about a modern (2004-on, facelifted in 2012) Panda, then it won't be.
    If we're talking about an original (1980s), then it will be.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 7th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Reply to them nicely, asking them to email you a scan of the V5 (don't forget to give them your email address, or ask them to use Royal Mail). I wouldn't be posting a car key off to someone claiming they had bought the car without seeing the address they wanted the key posted to on the V5.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 7th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    treboeth
    Reply to them nicely, asking them to email you a scan of the V5 (don't forget to give them your email address, or ask them to use Royal Mail). I wouldn't be posting a car key off to someone claiming they had bought the car without seeing the address they wanted the key posted to on the V5.
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with a suspicious mind.

If they don't want to send a copy(which is their right) no key from me.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 10,961 Posts
    • 7,777 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Do you actually have the spare key?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin