Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WabbitWabbit
    • By WabbitWabbit 6th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 35Thanks
    WabbitWabbit
    How long to wait for appointment at GP's
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    How long to wait for appointment at GP's 6th Mar 18 at 8:30 PM
    I saw my dentist last Tuesday due to ongoing dental problems, he said I needed to see my GP as he felt their was something wrong with my immune system.
    I phoned my GP surgery the same day and was offered a telephone appointment with my GP today which was one week later. GP rang me this morning and said that I needed to see the nurse for blood tests, I spoke to receptionist and the earliest appointment is the 20th of March. Is this a normal wait time, is there any standard that GP surgeries have to follow.
    It is bothering me as I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and am currently in remission but now worrying that something could be wrong
Page 1
    • WabbitWabbit
    • By WabbitWabbit 6th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    WabbitWabbit
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    Thought I better add that I have never seen the GP I spoke to
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    It's not unusual to wait several weeks for a GP appointment, then another few weeks for blood tests. The NHS is skint and can't recruit enough GPs because of the working conditions. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
    • WabbitWabbit
    • By WabbitWabbit 6th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    WabbitWabbit
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    I donít mind not seeing a GP, a phone consultation is fine but having to wait for two weeks to see a nurse for blood tests seems a long time. Is there no standard that a GP surgery has to follow, could they say earliest appointment to see a nurse is a month away?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 33,199 Posts
    • 39,145 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    Our area blood tests are walk in same day at a dedicated unit

Most x-ray and MRI are same Day
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 17,292 Posts
    • 30,463 Thanks
    Ames
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    Where I live you can get the forms from the GP surgery and go to the bloods department at a couple of hospitals, maybe there's something like that where you are?

I've found that I've had a longer than usual wait for bloods actually at my GP surgery, it was a wait of a couple of weeks for the ones I had yesterday.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • WabbitWabbit
    • By WabbitWabbit 6th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    WabbitWabbit
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    I am going to phone my surgery tomorrow as I am worried that it may mean my cancer is back, not that I know anything about the immune system
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 6th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    I donít mind not seeing a GP, a phone consultation is fine but having to wait for two weeks to see a nurse for blood tests seems a long time. Is there no standard that a GP surgery has to follow, could they say earliest appointment to see a nurse is a month away?
    Originally posted by WabbitWabbit
    Waiting list targets were scrapped because of the funding issues. Yes, they could say the next appointment with a nurse is a month away. Have you specifically booked to see a nurse? Bloods will often be done by a phlebotomist, there might not be such a wait for them.

I'm staggered that anyone finds waiting times a surprise anymore. Do you not watch the news?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 17,292 Posts
    • 30,463 Thanks
    Ames
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    I am going to phone my surgery tomorrow as I am worried that it may mean my cancer is back, not that I know anything about the immune system
    Originally posted by WabbitWabbit
    Try not to worry, not all immune problems are related to cancer. I have several immune problems and the departments I go to both have walls full of leaflets for the different conditions they deal with, and none of them are cancer.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • WabbitWabbit
    • By WabbitWabbit 6th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    WabbitWabbit
    Yes, I made an appointment for blood tests.
    My surgery has always had GP staffing problems and you have to have a phone consultation initially.
    I just was not aware that you had to wait quite a long time for blood tests to be administered.
    • WabbitWabbit
    • By WabbitWabbit 6th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    WabbitWabbit
    Thank you, Ames.
    I will phone tomorrow, my cancer diagnosis was not via my GP, routine mammogram and I have not seen a GP in over two years
    • newatc
    • By newatc 6th Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    newatc
    Good luck Wabbit Wabbit, I'm sure there must be a way to reduce the timescale as you are worried,

I haven't been to my surgery for some time so when I last rang for an appointment I was shocked/annoyed that I couldn't get an appointment for 9 days when I had been used to getting one same or next day. So I am another who staggers Boris Thomson.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 7th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4,030 Posts
    • 7,261 Thanks
    avogadro
    As above, get the blood test form and go along to your local hospital. Ours does blood tests on a walk-in basis.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter