Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 311Posts
    • 1,467Thanks
    Starmummy
    Aligning the Stars
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    Aligning the Stars 6th Mar 18 at 8:09 PM
    Hi All,

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of years and this year I am finally ready to fully address my problems.
    A little background... I became a parent at 21 and became a single parent at 22 with no support from my DD father. Not exactly how I expected things to turn out! Thankfully I have an amazing family who have tried to help where they can.

Well 6 years of working my bum off still didn't give me enough money to live off and between health scares, court fees (thanks to ex) and just trying to get beans on toast on the table I found myself in a LOT of debt.

Now I shan't pretend I am a complete saint. As well as needing credit cards to pay for solicitors fees, my studies, food, council tax and just trying to keep us warm and fed...I also treated us to nice clothes and holidays. It was a pride thing, I didn't want people to think I couldn't cope, I didn't want my DD to miss out and being a single mum working 7 days a week is HARD.. I needed the treats for my sanity.

At my very worst I carried almost £24,000 in debt over various loans, store cards and credit cards. YIKES!

Well fast forward to present day and my life has improved unimaginably. I met my DP who has honestly changed our lives. He helped me see how strong and capable I was and with him by my side I set about living instead of surviving.
    My DD and I moved in with him almost a year ago and at the end of last year I pushed myself to get the job I deserved. So without the pressure of being completely financial responsible for my family (and the nice pay rise from my new job) I'm now in the position to get rid of the last reminders of my old life...The debt.

I had my light bulb moment just after Christmas and have made massive headway in the year so far.
    As of today my debts look like this:
    Overdraft £1000
    CC1 £2247 (currently @18.9%)
    CC2 £3347 (2/3 of this is at 0% until October)
    Loan1 £2113 (this is due to be paid off in August 2019 and fairly low interest approx 7%)
    Loan2 £7352 (this months payment still to go out- paid off Oct 2019 again lowish interest was used to pay off a 24% CC)

so total debt today £16,059

I know I can do this. I am determined. This diary is for general ramblings and to keep me on track.

So here's to getting my life in order and aligning the stars for an amazing future
    Last edited by Starmummy; 19-12-2018 at 1:25 PM.
Page 15
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 9th Jan 19, 2:04 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    That's a shame but not unusual... many have stopped these benefits because of minimum wage implications. Does Mr S have access through his employer?
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    He does, but he used it last year to buy himself a mountain bike so he could ride the cross country route to work in summer, as the road route was too dangerous.

But genious thoughts Lucifa, thank you.

It's always worth posting my musings on here, someone always has a bright idea

In other news, Mr Star is sat at the airport awaiting his flight to far far away for a work trip. I always feel really sad when he goes but I know I cope just fine.
    I promise no crazy " i'm going to decorate the 'X' room and surprise him" this time. I don't have the energy and the rooms that are left need some big work done first anyway.

My plan is to try and get outside everyday for some winter Vit D and a mood boost, I shall also spend my evenings studying and reading when SC is in bed. No Netflix binges!

I've also planned a trip to see both of my siblings on alternate weekends so I can have some social interaction and I must pop in on my Grandparents at some point too.

I have a to do list that is ever growing, but I shall be kind to myself. Just 1 or 2 things a day will still be a success.
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £12,606.83/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF savings £850.08 Holiday Savings £350.02 House Deposit (LISA) £631.25/£12,000 5%
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 9th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 10,003 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    But genious thoughts Lucifa, thank you.
    Originally posted by Starmummy

I think that's my quota for the week used up sorry it didn't help.
    16.1.19/14.1.19: T MC £168/£3629.26 : VM £0/£13876.59 : W £0/£1400 = 0/18905.85 =0.89%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 10th Jan 19, 10:14 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Hi All

Last night was a slow one. I picked SC up from school about 6pm, walked home and made a big veggie stir-fry. There is plenty left so the rest of the weeks lunches are sorted. We then just vegetated in front of the TV for a couple of hours, not very productive but very much needed. SC gets very clingy when Mr Star is away.

Tonight after work and school we both have swimming, so it will be a quick turnaround at home and a speedy dinner when we get back. I really must do some studying tonight once she is in bed.

Tomorrow after work SC has youth group, I'm going to try and pack an overnight bag for the weekend while she is there so that we can drive to my sisters straight after swimming on Saturday morning.

I still have all my personal spends money in tact. It must be some kind of record! I envisage some spends on a lunch out on Saturday and maybe tea and cake during our country walk Sunday. Any personal spends left will go towards my 'new bike' fund.

I've started a few 30 day challenges on an app on my phone, abs, push-ups and Squats. I do a lot of cardio, swimming, running, walking, but very little strength training so this will be a gentle start. It only takes 10-15 minutes each morning.

I'm really benefiting from pushing myself to be more active this winter. My stomach definitely feels flatter and I have more energy, I am also sleeping better (on the whole- I've never been a great sleeper) I have no idea on the effect on weight though as I haven't weighed myself in years. I refuse to have my self worth effected by a number on a set of scales.

It's the middle bit of the month so no money news to speak f. I'm still just waiting for the last of this months money to come in. This is all assigned to my savings pots though, I'm really looking forward to updating my signature at the end of the month. I should be passing some 'thousand' milestones
    I'm really surprised at myself for sticking to this new, more sensible, more mindful way with money. Last years me would be so proud.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £12,606.83/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF savings £850.08 Holiday Savings £350.02 House Deposit (LISA) £631.25/£12,000 5%
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 11th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    The weekend is just on the horizon.

We survived the first full week back at work team...I'll pass around the champers Aldi prosecco .

I made a real conscious effort last night to call some friends, I've always had massive anxiety over picking up the phone, even to my lovely mum. It is something that last years therapy sessions really helped with. Money well spent. I feel so much better from the social interaction and it's nice for loved ones to feel like they are being thought about.

Swimming was fun but I can really feel the pinch between my shoulder blades today. I do need to up my mileage though, i've only done 2km this week. I'll aim to be back up to 6km+ very soon.

The rest of this months moneys are starting to trickle in. I should receive a chunk more on Monday so I can start transferring to savings.

I've got a list as long as my arm of little things to do this weekend.
    maybe writing it down here will keep me on track.

*pay cash into bank.
    *Pack bag to stay at my sisters
    *drop SC off at youth group (don't forget to pick her up again)
    *check the air on the car tyres
    *find my headphones
    *3x laundry, take to launderette to dry
    *Clean make up brushes
    *give house a general dust and vacuum
    *get cash out to pay this terms youth group fees (different account from above cash in)
    *finish this weeks lectures for March exam.
    *try not to stress over Monday's impending exam results.
    *get to bed before midnight!
    *organise Diary for next 2 weeks

I could really do with being home this weekend, but family is far more important than housework. I'm really looking forward to giving my little nephew a big squeeze.

Have a wonderful weekend lovelies.

SM
    x
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 11th Jan 19, 4:37 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    I spent a few minutes checking various accounts for what vouchers I'd saved etc. and I'm quite surprised.

Tesco clubcard Vouchers: £14
    Boots point: £19.53
    Topcashback: £34.73 (most pending, only £9.46 payable)
    Swagbucks: 596 points

I hate Swagbucks, I think i'll just make it up to cashing out £10 then leave it. It's really not worth the time and effort to build up, I'm fed up of spending 5 minutes answering questions to then be told I don't fit the criteria.
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 11th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 7,427 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Thanks for reminding me I MUST clean my make up brushes!

If you've not done SB in a while it might be worth another try. I gave up for a while but started again last year and found it much better than it used to be.
    Enough is enough...
    £29,603 (22/7/18) £24,979.74
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 13th Jan 19, 11:40 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    My Debt has reduced by £7560.51
    I've also managed to save £1831.45

Along the way we have decorated half the house, had some amazing holidays, I learned to surf, I studied hard, I really got stuck into my new job.

I feel I really lived 2018.
    This is fantastic! Massive, massive well done. I especially like the last line
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 14th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Happy happy monday
    Oh my goodness ladies and Gents.

I passed both my exams with really good results to boot.
    I am now just 1 exam away from being fully qualified and having letters after my name.
    I'm in shock and so very very happy, it's been a long hard (almost) six years.

This weekend was fantastic but tiring. I got almost everything on my to do list done (other than clean my make-up brushes and find my headphones)

The money's I was expecting are coming in. I just have a couple of payments to come.
    Spending wise, I spent £45 going out for a really nice lunch with my sister and her family and £12 on a round of coffees.
    Not frugal but these are my only spends this month so far. Next weekend should be really cheap too so I'm going to Order my new backpack when the final payment for this month has been received and all saving pots topped up.
    Last edited by Starmummy; 14-01-2019 at 9:58 AM.
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 14th Jan 19, 9:41 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    This is fantastic! Massive, massive well done. I especially like the last line
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    Thanks Lonelyrat. I've had a real revelation this past year on what life is really all about. I feel so strong and secure mentally
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 14th Jan 19, 9:48 AM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 10,003 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Massive congratulations on your exam success.
    16.1.19/14.1.19: T MC £168/£3629.26 : VM £0/£13876.59 : W £0/£1400 = 0/18905.85 =0.89%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Pink_Butterfly
    • By Pink_Butterfly 14th Jan 19, 1:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pink_Butterfly
    !Congratulations! Thatís amazing
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 14th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 7,427 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Fantastic, well done!
    Enough is enough...
    £29,603 (22/7/18) £24,979.74
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th Jan 19, 11:10 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    WELL DONE!!!! Fab, fab, fab news

I feel so strong and secure mentally
    Here's hoping 2019 is for me what 2018 was for you

Lunch sounds yum! OH's sister and partner got us a restaurant card/ voucher thing for Christmas so we've been keeping that and are going to go out as a treat this weekend.
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 15th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    WELL DONE!!!! Fab, fab, fab news

Here's hoping 2019 is for me what 2018 was for you

Lunch sounds yum! OH's sister and partner got us a restaurant card/ voucher thing for Christmas so we've been keeping that and are going to go out as a treat this weekend.
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    enjoy your meal out Lonely, it sounds like it's just what you need at the moment. a little R&R
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 16th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Hi Folks,

I ordered my new backpack yesterday.
    I did my research and found one that came top of a lot of reviews on hiking and travel websites. It's female specific too so I hope it's comfortable. The RRP is over £100, I managed to get one in a super sale for £31 delivered.

I have sent some money to my EF savings and Holiday savings. The latter balance has gone down this month though as I have spent on Flights and hotel for a trip to Sweden to see one of my best friends at Easter. That is what the account is for though, I feel so happy that these expenses are paid for and not on credit. I feel like a proper grown up almost.

I want to overpay on my debt a bit this month to try and take me into the 11k's but we shall see if the final expenses I am expecting come in before month end.
    I shall wait to update my signature until the end of the month to see the big picture.

I really must concentrate on studying for my final exam from this week. just 7 weeks to go and i never have to study again (I probably will though- glutton for punishment)

The exam passes I got on Monday have triggered a lovely pay rise. According to our payroll department it should be action-ed in time for my next pay day...I won't count on it though. Between my 'annual' pay rise and the exams I'll have increased my salary by just shy of 7% which is wonderful. It should make a difference of over £100 a month in my take home pay (I haven't worked it out properly yet) although I'm expecting this to go down again in April when pension contributions go up.

Still feeling pretty in control of things. We have lots of adventures planned this year so I shall be keeping myself busy. I must remember to be mindful of the budget though. We have lots of active holidays planned which will require some equipment. I need to really budget for this and not let myself get carried away. The same goes for spending money while we are away.

I think that's enough money talk for one day.

take care

SM
    x
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 18th Jan 19, 7:22 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Starmummy
    Hi Folks,

My new backpack arrived and I love it. So many gadgets and pockets and the company has a high ethical stance too so I feel like a very conscious consumer.

SC and I are still plodding on with Mr Star working away and we have managed to get ourselves into a good routine, which sees me managing to get everything done by myself without burning out.
    The secret seems to be being in bed by 9.30pm, meditating and setting an alarm for 5.30,

I've also meal planned like a pro, and regimenting my diary. 6am study sessions may not be hugely enjoyable but with just 1 exam to go and it being only 7 weeks away I am battling through the pain.

I'm still enjoying being more active, while Mr Star is away we have no car which is really ramping up the miles pounding the pavement. Walking SC to school, walking to work, walking us to the pool on Tuesday and Thursday nights and Saturday and Sunday mornings, walking to the supermarket and carrying everything home. I've also taken to taking a lunch break at work. 15 minutes to eat my soup and 30 minutes walk. It certainly stops that 3pm lull and I swear the exposure to cold air is the reason we have managed to keep all the bugs and sickness away (touches all the wood).

Right, time for my 30 day challenge exercises and to get breakfast on the table.

Catch you later

Take care
    SM
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 18th Jan 19, 3:51 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 13,377 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Congratulations on the results, and the happy knock on of the pay rise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin