Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zooks
    • By zooks 6th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 30Thanks
    zooks
    Reduced Personal Allowance
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    Reduced Personal Allowance 6th Mar 18 at 7:44 PM
    Hi, I have tried searching the forum for an answer to this but to no avail. Hopefully will know the answer to this

I'm a PAYE employee earning aprox 75k/yr and I'm on salary month 11. Due to overtime worked this year and accrued leave adjustments I can see I'm going to be at 110k gross come years end pay day.
    I think this means I am going to lose about 5k of my personal tax allowance.
    As I understand it the personal allowance is spread over a 12mth period and as its month 11 my allowance for this year is nearly gone.

A question, does this 5k get taken in one go from my month 12 pay or does any adjustment get taken from next years allowance?

I realise its a bit late to be considering this now but I still have time to pay into my pension AVC if I have to.

Thanks for reading
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 6th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    Neither.

You will be asked to complete a self assessment tax return for 2017:18 and any tax owed will be payable by 31:01:2019.

If you complete your return early enough (by 30:12:2018 I think), the amount owed is less than 3,000 and you are still a PAYE employee earning a reasonable amount then alternatively you can have the tax owed collected by a restriction to your 2019:20 tax code i.e. bit extra each payday from April 2019 through to March 2020.

Personal pension or SIPP are other pension alternatives you could consider even though time is getting tight for the current tax year.

Remember loss of the Personal Allowance is based on adjusted net income (Google it) so any other income you have such as company benefits, dividends or savings interest also need to be considered.
    Last edited by Dazed and confused; 06-03-2018 at 8:21 PM.
    • zooks
    • By zooks 6th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    zooks
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    Neither.

You will be asked to complete a self assessment tax return for 2017:18 and any tax owed will be payable by 31:01:2019.

If you complete your return early enough (by 30:12:2018 I think), the amount owed is less than 3,000 and you are still a PAYE employee earning a reasonable amount then alternatively you can have the tax owed collected by a restoration to your 2019:20 tax code i.e. bit extra each payday from April 2019 through to March 2020.

Personal pension or SIPP are other pension alternatives you could consider even though time is getting tight.

Remember loss of the Personal Allowance is based on adjusted net income (Google it) so any other income you have such as company benefits, dividends or savings interest also need to be considered.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Your comments regarding pensions made me realise I have made a basic error in not excluding the 11% I pay into my company pension contributions & additional contributions.
    I'm assuming I reduce my taxable income by this figure which will put me under the 100k plus any net adjustment figures.

Please rest assured my line of work has absolutely nothing to do with finance
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 6th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    Possibly. "Salary" is irrelevant for tax purposes what you are interested in is taxable pay which is usually itemised on payslips.

It's possible that your 75,000 salary may only actually be 66,750 taxable pay but your latest payslip should tell you what you need to know.
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 7th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    The other thing to note is that if your adjusted net income was 110k then you yes you would lose 5k of your personal allowance but your additional tax bill would be 40% of that 5k so you would owe the tax man 2k not 5k.

Payroll cannot deduct more than 50% of your pay in tax in a given month but that's probably unlikely anyway in this case.

With the change in pay reporting you would need to check that payroll has deducted the right tax as your tax code will still probably have your full allowance. Also check what HMRC put for 2018/2019 as they will assume you will earn similar again and decrease your tax code. If you are unlikely to earn the same then you need to notify them.

As Dazed says you would have to fill in SA to pay the additional tax and that can be done before 31st Dec 2018 to recover in tax code for 2019/2020.

Also you could consider charity donations to reduce your adjusted net income if you are close to the amount. You can do this up until the point you submit your tax return.

If you are in the loss of personal allowance bracket (aka 60% bracket) then for every 100 you donate to charity, the charity will get 125 and it will cost you 50 after a rebate of tax and reduced net income (at least until your PA is fully restored anyway)
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 7th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/adjusted-net-income
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin