Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 6th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,542Posts
    • 300Thanks
    britishboy
    Upgrading my Sky - what do i need
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    Upgrading my Sky - what do i need 6th Mar 18 at 7:43 PM
    We have a sky+ box in lounge, and another sky box (wired in) in the kitchen with multiroom. now we'd like another box in the bedroom, what options do we have?

There is cable running to the bedroom we had put in 3 years ago from the dish, but never used, can we buy a normal sky box and wire it in, and pay for another multi room? Or do we need to go for Sky Q?

If its Sky Q, does that mean a new box downstairs as well, or just a new on in the bedroom?

Please help
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 33,062 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    Buy another box off eBay , connect up
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 6th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    Buy another box off eBay , connect up
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Thanks Browntoa, what about another viewing card though? Wont it need registering?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 7th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    You might have trouble getting another Sky box out of Sky since they don't make them any more, but the prospect of another 12 per month might help them find one. Yes, you'll need another viewing card, which they should easily provide.
    You'll find Sky+HD boxes on Gumtree, Shpock, Facebook Marketplace in your local area that you can go and pick up for around 20, which I reckon would be less hassle than eBay or trying to get a box out of Sky. New viewing card goes in and the pairing process is straghtforward.
    12 per month isn't cheap IMO though. I make do with RF (aerial cable) distribution round the house.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    You might have trouble getting another Sky box out of Sky since they don't make them any more, but the prospect of another 12 per month might help them find one. Yes, you'll need another viewing card, which they should easily provide.
    Originally posted by almillar
    I seem to remember a not dissimilar post a while ago, the poster was told that Sky were not allowing anyone to add multiscreen to an existing sub. -they had to upgrade to Sky Q.
    HOWEVER, as the OP already has a multiscreen sub. not sure whether Sky would play ball or not!
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    Hopefully OP will update us then. The thought of an extra 12 puts me right off though, whilst I still have the RF distribution option (yes, with limitations).
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 9th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    Hi all
    Right, Sky first of all said 'upgrade to Sky Q, for lounge box and 2 multiroom mini boxes would be 214, monthly cost would remain the same'. Our wifi in the house isnt great and our FireStick often cuts out so i said no thanks. Then she managed to located a viewing card if i wanted one, and for 12 a month extra could send it out (if i sourced my own sky box)

now got to decide wether to improve wifi (we already use a range extender, it helps a bit) or go for a wired in box...
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    I don't want to sound like a salesman here, but Sky Q is all WiFi - the main box extends the WiFi (I think) but the mini boxes definitely act as WiFi extenders. If you're also with Sky Broadband, I'd expect them to supply me with the newest 'Q' router (only has 2 LAN ports). Just before you spend money on WiFi...
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 9th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    Hi everyone
    I've managed to locate a Sky+ HD box on Facebook marketplace for 20, so if i get that can i connect it up/activate/install myself?

At present, the spare twin cable from the dish is coiled up outisde the wall we want to fit the box, can i terminate the co-ax ends myself and plug and play?

EDIT: forgot to ask, so the Sky+ box itself allows the recording, pausing etc, not the viewing card on multiroom?
    Last edited by britishboy; 09-04-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Hi everyone
    I've managed to locate a Sky+ HD box on Facebook marketplace for 20, so if i get that can i connect it up/activate/install myself?

At present, the spare twin cable from the dish is coiled up outisde the wall we want to fit the box, can i terminate the co-ax ends myself and plug and play?

EDIT: forgot to ask, so the Sky+ box itself allows the recording, pausing etc, not the viewing card on multiroom?
    Originally posted by britishboy
    Yes, pairing is easily done online these days.

However it the cable is coiled up outsiode without duct tape over the end I would expect to be replacing it unless it never rains where you are.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 9th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    britishboy
    I don't want to sound like a salesman here, but Sky Q is all WiFi - the main box extends the WiFi (I think) but the mini boxes definitely act as WiFi extenders. If you're also with Sky Broadband, I'd expect them to supply me with the newest 'Q' router (only has 2 LAN ports). Just before you spend money on WiFi...
    Hi almillar, sadly we cant get any decent speed broadband with SKy, i checked their online checker and called them, most we could get was I think 5 or 6 Mbps (no idea why though). I was contemplating switching from Plusnet phone and broadband package and getting it all with Sky, to get SkyQ and fast internet but sadly they cant offer it. We have Gigaclear fibre planned for our village soon so hopefully will get that once its installed
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 9th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    britishboy
    Yes, pairing is easily done online these days.

However it the cable is coiled up outsiode without duct tape over the end I would expect to be replacing it unless it never rains where you are.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Sorry, yep its got electrical tape over the end, plus the Sky guy left a coil of about 15m of it just in case we wanted it in a different room. We will only need 5 or 6m to get into where we want it, and i can get a co-ax kit from work
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Apr 18, 1:11 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 2,967 Thanks
    almillar
    Yes you can. Connect the 2 satellite feeds, HDMI cable, power.

can i terminate the co-ax ends myself and plug and play?
    You can plug and play, but just to note you need 'F connectors' on the end of the coax leads, which screw in. A bit of a pain, and if it's shotgun cable (2 cables stuck together) they're a little thinner, and the F connector might be a bit loose.

forgot to ask, so the Sky+ box itself allows the recording, pausing etc, not the viewing card on multiroom?
    You were already told, and it's key. The box has all the hardware allowing it to record, but without an ACTIVE SUBSCRIPTION CARD you'll be recording nothing. It'll be 12+ per month to record, as advised in post #4. That's a big reason why you got that HD+ box so cheap - it's not much use without the card/subscription.

Pairing of the card is easily done - and it's at it's easiest if you get the Sky box connected to the web first - then you don't even have to pick up the phone!
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 10th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Mister G

You can plug and play, but just to note you need 'F connectors' on the end of the coax leads, which screw in. A bit of a pain, and if it's shotgun cable (2 cables stuck together) they're a little thinner, and the F connector might be a bit loose.
    You can get the F connectors for the thinner WF65 cable here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-4mm-F-Connector-Plug-For-Sky-Plus-HD-Freesat-Twin-CB63R-WF65-Shotgun-Cable/370921432434?epid=1105475783&hash=item565ca3e572:g :S2kAAOSwSFZajuk3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,014Posts Today

5,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin