Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Talulacat
    • By Talulacat 6th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Talulacat
    0 WOW
    Airbnb demanding payment for unfair damage
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Airbnb demanding payment for unfair damage 6th Mar 18 at 7:27 PM
    Our recent hosts entered into a dispute regarding damage to a shower that we categorically did not cause.

To my dismay Airbnb resolution centre has found in the hosts favour and want £133 for damages. The security deposit was £100 and Airbnb have tried to take this form my credit card however my credit card number has changed since the booking was made and their email to me makes clear they could not obtain that £100 when they tried to retrieve it from the card I made the booking with. They also say if I do not pay within 2 weeks they will charge an additional £100.

I do not accept their conclusion that we are responsible for the shower, the hosts however have convinced them with photos of damage and receipts for repairs, although there is no evidence this was caused by us. I also have no intention of using Airbnb again.

My credit card has a new number andis with my main bank. Am I right in saying Airbnb cannot take money from this account without my approval?

I am also conscious that Airbnb have my name, address and they link it to your Facebook page. But I have not been found guilty of anything beyond their opaque resolution centre finding in the hosts favour (I was given a chance to reply which I did but I took no photos, Airbnb also did not share with me the evidence from the host).

If I do not agree with this charge what other recourse do I have?

If I simply ignore requests for payment and donít use Airbnb again are there likely to be any consequences?

Thanks for any help

Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 6th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    I would expect the hosts to follow-up with court action - where are they based?

Given the circumstances you describe I'd simply respond that you dispute the damage and you'll see them in court. If they can persuade a judge that you caused the damage then you'll have to pay up plus court fees.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 7th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 9,151 Posts
    • 13,287 Thanks
    meer53
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    They will use the old card number to take the payment as an authorisation would have been given before the card was cancelled. Why was your card number changed ? When they take the payment, it will simply be transferred to your current credit card number using the original authorisation code. This is one of the reasons hotels etc take card details on check in. You could dispute the transaction as unauthorised but without evidence that you didn't cause the damage i don't hold out much hope of success with this.
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 7th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    I imagine that as part of the booking process you agreed to abide by terms and conditions which will have included their dispute process.
    I'm not sure that there will be much you can do. Obviously something like this is hard to prove either way and they have sided with the owner after hearing / seeing their evidence.
    If you ignore requests for payment they may well chase this up using other means so you will probably have to address it at some point.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 7th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    Makes you wonder whether we will have to start treating Airbnb and other accommodation in the same way as hire cars. Photos of damage on arrival, photos/video of [no] damage on departure, to ensure you're covered in the event of dispute.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 9,794 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    Makes you wonder whether we will have to start treating Airbnb and other accommodation in the same way as hire cars. Photos of damage on arrival, photos/video of [no] damage on departure, to ensure you're covered in the event of dispute.
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    +1

If i found damage in a rental property when i arrived, i'd immediately be photographing it and alerting the owner.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,445 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    They will use the old card number to take the payment as an authorisation would have been given before the card was cancelled. Why was your card number changed ? When they take the payment, it will simply be transferred to your current credit card number using the original authorisation code. This is one of the reasons hotels etc take card details on check in. You could dispute the transaction as unauthorised but without evidence that you didn't cause the damage i don't hold out much hope of success with this.
    Originally posted by meer53
    they already tried that and failed according to OP
    • blindman
    • By blindman 7th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    blindman
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    I wonder if the Op had done any research and if this host had plenty of good reviews ?

Story seems a little light on facts, as has been said if you turn up and there's damage, you take photos.

If you leave and there is no damage then you've got a dodgy host IMHO.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 8th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    Yep - that's how the military do it with accommodation, without the need for photos.

Needs somebody from each side to inspect at take over and return - but who wants that gross inconvenience on a holiday or trip ?
    • blindman
    • By blindman 8th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    blindman
    Yep - that's how the military do it with accommodation, without the need for photos.

Needs somebody from each side to inspect at take over and return - but who wants that gross inconvenience on a holiday or trip ?
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    No, there is no need for "March outs"

Done a few in my time

As I ahve said, Good research on the host.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin