Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 4,625Posts
    • 4,215Thanks
    dekaspace
    Am I asking too much of my GP?
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    Am I asking too much of my GP? 6th Mar 18 at 7:12 PM
    Not asking for health advice more advice on GPs actions.

Lived in area 4 years, before that had a excellent GP who gave me regular bloodtests that diagnosed hormonal problems especially in winter months (when I feel weak), referred me for hospital tests and I was put on medication, was on it for a few months but cut down as the medication worked too well then moved to current area and GP made me go cold turkey along with the anti depressants I was taking.

Had 1 blood test in 4 years, the first winter I was there that diagnosed vitamin issue (and likely linked to something else) now every time I go in everything gets passed off with "its a virus going round" "its time of year" at most if I say I have ear and throat pain they check it.

In 4 years the only time I have had actual support is when a locum is on, last year I went to my doctor 3 times in 2 months and kept being told I have a virus, it will go away and 4th time I saw a locum who said I had a chest infection/virus and gave me a inhaler and thought I should get blood tests done. Went back a few weeks later a little better but still coughing and my normal doctor didnt even check notes and went "its a virus" I told her about the inhaler and she then looked at the notes and went "oh yes, that was a few weeks ago, just keep using that then"

And a few months before I badly broke my arm, and was in agony and my doctor just prescribed pain killers without checking, eventually saw another locum who said he thought along with the broken arm I had a broken collarbone as the bone was warped! My normal doctor didn't even check, and I also mentioned sleep issues and he referred me to respiritory unit at hospital for sleep apnea (which I had been enquiring about for years with my normal doctor to get the "its a virus" line) So without him referring me would of got nowhere.

Anytime I was ill since then my current doc now adds "well it might be due to your sleep apnea, so wait a few months"

Anyway now on sleep apnea breathing mask and pump and felt dizzy to point of faint with it for first 2 weeks so asked my doctor for an appointment, due to snow had to cancel and didn't get another appointment for 5 days, in meantime I phoned NHS 24 who sent me to a out of hours surgery.

Spoke to doctor there and he was shocked I hadn't been getting regular blood tests as well as mentioning my body hair, and cysts on body are signs of something tounge twisting so put on notes for my GP to get me blood tests as well as refer me back to respiritory at hospital for a different reason (linked to sleep apnea) as I shouldn't be struggling to breath with the new mask.

Saw my actual doctor today, didnt even bring up the out of hours one, at end of session I mentioned it and the blood tests and just got "oh yes we saw notes" and that she didn't think blood tests were needed!

I could change surgeries but only 2 other available to me in town, one has a far worse rep than my doctor.

So am I asking too much of my GP or am I getting messed around?
Page 2
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 10th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 4,650 Posts
    • 6,015 Thanks
    jack_pott
    If you are depressed, this is well worth a read.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 11th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6,651 Posts
    • 12,034 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    You can't just go about getting blood tests at random for the sake of it! Infection control would have a kitten for a start and with constantly sticking your veins you'll end up with rubbish veins if you ever do need them for something serious. Blood tests should either be done when the patient has presented with a range of symptoms and the doctor is confirming diagnosis or if the patient is on certain drugs and the patients bloods need monitored.

As someone with crap veins thanks to cardiology constantly poking at them believe me it's not fun when you're admitted and it takes vascular access 8 goes to cannulate your feet/neck because there's no access in your arms any more. Unnecessary blood tests "just to reassure" are costly and can jepordise the patient in the long term.

If you need a hormone check go to your doctor and say "I'm having X, Y and Z symptom and previously had low A, can you arrange a blood test", if you're asymptomatic and just want a test because you used to get one then put it out of your mind. I used to have my ESR checked weekly, no ones checked it in over a year, it doesn't need checked.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Cyclizine
    • By Cyclizine 11th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Cyclizine
    To be honest, why have you not been to the endocrine clinic? I echo the above, just change GP.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    dekaspace
    To be honest, why have you not been to the endocrine clinic? I echo the above, just change GP.
    Originally posted by Cyclizine
    That could of been what the out of hours one mentioned, some tounge twisting word I forgot as he kept talking about how hairy I was and how he didn't think it was normal. (and I mentioned how a few years back I had testosterone problems)
    • LiamSmith
    • By LiamSmith 21st Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LiamSmith
    Try to change the doctor? I think, u can just try another doctor, and then understand, what you shoud to do.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 22nd Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 16,939 Posts
    • 41,813 Thanks
    FBaby
    Your GP might be thinking you're a hypochondriac, or suffer from health anxieties. Sadly, GPs see a lot of those patients, especially around the age of 40/50 and that makes them less likely to consider things seriously.

One way to approach it is to say that you appreciate them thinking that you don't need a blood test, but having one done and reading that everything is normal would help you move on and focus on what you can do to help yourself be healthier. They rarely can say no when said like that!
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 22nd Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,167 Thanks
    pipkin71
    diagnosed the skin cancer,(benign)
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    If the mole was benign, are you sure you were diagnosed with skin cancer?

I had a benign mole removed years ago and remember the worry before it was removed and analysed but I didn't have skin cancer.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 23rd Mar 18, 2:11 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 9,143 Thanks
    wondercollie

I had a benign mole removed years ago and remember the worry before it was removed and analysed but I didn't have skin cancer.
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    I know what you mean. I had several moles off around 30 years ago. One got lost on the way to the pathologist. Never did find out what happened to it. Haven't lost any sleep over it and so far haven't had a cancer diagnosis.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 23rd Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Your GP might be thinking you're a hypochondriac, or suffer from health anxieties. Sadly, GPs see a lot of those patients, especially around the age of 40/50 and that makes them less likely to consider things seriously.

One way to approach it is to say that you appreciate them thinking that you don't need a blood test, but having one done and reading that everything is normal would help you move on and focus on what you can do to help yourself be healthier. They rarely can say no when said like that!
    Originally posted by FBaby
    They'd probably (hopefully) tell him he should go private if he wants unnecessary tests. That's not what the NHS does.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 23rd Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    halogen
    That could of been what the out of hours one mentioned, some tounge twisting word I forgot as he kept talking about how hairy I was and how he didn't think it was normal. (and I mentioned how a few years back I had testosterone problems)
    I think I can guess what that toungue twister was but no medical advice allowed here. :-)
    My GP thinks I'm a hypchonriac as well! I did have a serious illness 2 years ago and it was so enjoyable that I think I'm getting a touch of Munchausens. Also there's a lot of things that haven't been quite right since then either and though I know none of them are anything serious they do impact on my life.
    I live in the middle of nowhere unfortuatley though and my next nearest GP would be difficult to get to so I am stuck a bit.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 24th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    I've never had a GP who gave regular blood tests. I've only had blood tests when the GP thought there was a specific need for them.

However, I do think our GPs look for the easy answer first on a lot of issues. They're probably right in the main, but I wouldn't want to be one of the patients for whom they were wrong.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 28th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I think I can guess what that toungue twister was but no medical advice allowed here. :-)
    My GP thinks I'm a hypchonriac as well! I did have a serious illness 2 years ago and it was so enjoyable that I think I'm getting a touch of Munchausens. Also there's a lot of things that haven't been quite right since then either and though I know none of them are anything serious they do impact on my life.
    I live in the middle of nowhere unfortuatley though and my next nearest GP would be difficult to get to so I am stuck a bit.
    Originally posted by halogen

The annoying thing there is I didn't go to a GP for over 2 years, and before that went about twice in one year and twice in year before that.

Just since I moved to current town I have allergies flare up, that and I decided enough was enough and to ask for support like counselling so not sure if on top the reason I feel physically weaker is age or anything as diet, lifestyle etc has improved since student days.

They'd probably (hopefully) tell him he should go private if he wants unnecessary tests. That's not what the NHS does.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Calling it uncessesary is a difficult one not sure if its due to my medical history but I had hormonal problems as well and at one point had blood tests at the hospital which said I had a issue with development of hormones and prescibed testosterone which I believe is the main reason I was getting regular blood tests, then when I got the mole the doctor was worried and saw that as a worry something worse was up, when I was getting regular tests they did come back with various things like hormonal imbalances especially in winter months, I then moved and shortly after got my op but new doctor made me go cold turkey on the hormones, anti depressants, and just told me it was all because of time of year, and lack of activity.

So various things but the newer doctor just kept saying nothing wrong didn't even give me a check up often, everytime I have been ill in last few years I have only been given treatment after I had issues for weeks if not over a month.

So given medical history, id say its both necessary and uncesssary

And so as well basically conflicting advice, even within the same surgery.

Originally posted by pipkin71

They told me both, but also that the odds of me getting more and eventually more serious are high, in fact got another on my chest at moment, the big black rock solid types.

Needed a 2 hour op to remove first one and was told I should get help with that, my father has actual skin cancer and his started from the same so it does run in the family too.
    • Cyclizine
    • By Cyclizine 29th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Cyclizine
    Just change GP surgery! You don't have to give a reason. But be prepared for them to give the same advice.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 29th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    ceh209
    Patients with a mental health history are four times more likely to have their physical healthcare neglected until it becomes an emergency.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    I absolutely agree with this. The last time I tried to speak to my previous GP about some symptoms (which were nothing like I'd had with depression/anxiety), they got as far as listening to one symptom, did 1 test which was fine then said it must be depression.

Cue me going on a different antidepressant to previously, which gave me D&V which I tried to struggle through as I know you can side effects to start with but after 3 weeks I said no more - finally spoke to the mental health nurse who was great and basically said 'do you think you are depressed?' and I went NO!

Have now moved house, registered at new GP but they don't have my notes through yet. Told the doctor there all my symptoms, I'm getting a blood test next week and urgently referred for a scan at the hospital as she thinks it's an overactive thyroid.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 29th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,167 Thanks
    pipkin71
    They told me both, but also that the odds of me getting more and eventually more serious are high, in fact got another on my chest at moment, the big black rock solid types.

Needed a 2 hour op to remove first one and was told I should get help with that, my father has actual skin cancer and his started from the same so it does run in the family too.
    Benign moles are non-cancerous so you can't have both. You may have an increased risk of developing skin cancer, given your family history, or the type of mole you had removed but the fact that the mole was benign means you didn't have skin cancer.

Given the higher chance of having skin cancer though, have you been referred back to the hospital with regards the mole on your chest?
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I decided to change anyway in the end, fingers crossed it goes well as the new sign up appointment was packed with kids running about even throwing toys at wall, they got there 20 minutes early and was seen 20 minutes late and sign up saying any letters from doctor such as for benefit applications carry a 30 charge, then receptionist told me its 2-3 week wait all year round for appointments!

My old one was a week at busy times and 2-4 days rest of times, and no charge for letters!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter