Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 6th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 97Thanks
    Korkyb
    Servicing Car - Garage or "DIY"?
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    Servicing Car - Garage or "DIY"? 6th Mar 18 at 7:00 PM
    Hi all

My wife's car is about to hit 3 years old and so will be out of its manufacturers warranty (Renault).

I'm wondering whether to continue with getting it serviced at the Garage or using the services of a friend.

Said friend is a highly skilled engineer and I trust him and the work he does 100%. (he looks after my daughters older car and done some work on my own vehicle).

I know we wont then have a "service record" for the car but we plan to keep the it for a good few years to come so am not sure how much of a effect that would have.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Page 2
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    fatrab
    For servicing I don't believe they have to be VAT registered. After market warranties do tend to require warranty repairs at VAT registered garages though.
    Originally posted by lg13mza
    I stand corrected. I though the EU block exemption stated VAT registered but appears I'm wrong. Not having access to software updates and TSBs would worry me with a relatively new car though.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 25/31 AFDs, 15/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • benten69
    • By benten69 8th Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    benten69
    Not having access to software updates and TSBs would worry me with a relatively new car though.
    Originally posted by fatrab
    Nothing stopping you from going to the dealer to ask if there are any available updates / TSB's for your car once a year. If there is stuff available they will generally put it on for free or at most a small fee.

So just because you stop using them for servicing doesn't mean you automatically stop getting updates for life and they ban you from ever having them. Just means you need to actually make the effort to check if there are any available for your car.
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

• iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 8th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    I wonder why European manufacturers can't offer the five and seven year warranties of the likes of Kia, Hyundai and Toyota. Three years doesn't seem much these days, and why did Renault reduce from four to three? Vauxhall used to have a ten year warranty (first owner only), but that soon went out of the window. It is time European manufacturers stepped up to the mark.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 17,388 Posts
    • 15,738 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I wonder why European manufacturers can't offer the five and seven year warranties of the likes of Kia, Hyundai and Toyota.
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    Do those additional years actually carry any tangible weight in the market, anyway?

They're not actually that useful in terms of claims - because the majority of issues after the first few years have passed will have resolved the vast, vast majority of manufacturing issues, leaving wear and tear failures, which are excluded anyway.

Because of that, they have the potential to increase customer resentment, when wear and tear failures are denied warranty coverage.

Also, the first owner is rarely over three years anyway, so doesn't much care beyond any effect on resale, and that's only if resale actually has a direct knock-on to them, rather than simply in terms of how it affects lease/PCP rates/balloon.

The manufacturers aren't stupid. They've looked at the costs and the benefits, and simply decided that the longer warranties aren't worth it. And that's not necessarily because of quality factors.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 8th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    Also, the first owner is rarely over three years anyway

The Kia/Hyundai/Toyota warranties cover subsequent owners, not just the first one. These warranties are a key selling factor for many private owners. I bought new Kia Rio last year over a Mazda 2 or Ford Fiesta because of the longer warranty, though I suspect the Mazda and the Ford are probably better cars. But I take on board your last paragraph, which does make a lot of sense.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 17,388 Posts
    • 15,738 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Also, the first owner is rarely over three years anyway

The Kia/Hyundai/Toyota warranties cover subsequent owners, not just the first one. These warranties are a key selling factor for many private owners.
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    ...now read the rest of that para you quoted.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 8th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,011 Posts
    • 4,706 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    ...now read the rest of that para you quoted.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Well, yes, but as I intend to keep the car for at least 5 - 7 years, then the long warranty is important for peace of mind.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 17,388 Posts
    • 15,738 Thanks
    AdrianC
    ...then read the second para of my post...
    • fred246
    • By fred246 9th Mar 18, 2:33 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    fred246
    I always service my own cars from new. I don't want a clown messing with my car at any stage of it's life. I think servicing of new cars is done particularly badly because:
    The owner doesn't really want a service. They just want a stamp.
    The garage would rather just give a stamp and not do a service.
    The car is unlikely to break down anyway.
    My policy is that if the car is perfect in year one I will do all the services. It's a little bit scary in years 2 and 3 but I've never had a problem. Never had a car with longer warranty.
    What I find hilarious is that the dealers charge less to service older cars. They are the ones that need more work. If a pensioner brings in a one year old car with 2000 miles on the clock are they going to take the wheels off to check the brake pads? I don't think so!
    It's all a silly game so I don't take part. It seems that main dealers have got to make money somehow and 'servicing' ie 'stamping books' is one that they still have.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin