Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mariawads
    • By Mariawads 6th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mariawads
    Double Glazing Guarentee
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    Double Glazing Guarentee 6th Mar 18 at 6:26 PM
    We were living in Singapore from April 2012 - Mar 2014, we went back to England to visit family for 3 weeks in June 2013 , we looked at new double glazing for our house which was being let and fully managed by a letting agent. When back in Singapore we ordered the windows through email and conversed and paid a deposit via email. ( I have all the emails). The installation was arranged through our agent and the tenant. These windows have a 10 year guarantee. We returned to our house in Dec 2014. In 2015, and 2016 and 2017 there were a few issues with the windows and the window installer came out and replaced a pane of glass and corrected a couple of other minor problems.
    We rented our house again in May 2017 and a minor problem was reported by the agent ( the same letting agent we used previously). The window company came out and repaired it.
    We have now had a report that numerous panes of glass need replacing, the window company are saying that we need to produce the original pink slip that we signed. We do not have a pink slip as we were in Singapore and have everything electronically.

Two of our neighbours have the same windows and they have also had replacement panes and they have not produced their pink slip either, although they have been asked for them.

The window company have now agreed to do these repairs, still stating that we have signed the pink document and will need to produce it if there are any further repairs required. We still have 5.5 years left on our guarantee and we anticipate that there may be further issues .

I have all the emails and text messages that have been sent by them to us.

My questions are :
    Given that they have already carried out many repairs without seeing a pink slip, can they insist on us producing it next time there is an issue?

If they do insist we provide it for any future repairs, what are our options?

I can’t see a complaints process on their website, should they have something on there?

The window company have always been very nice and have dealt with the letting agents previously with no problem or a pink copy of the guarentee!
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 19,083 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    I'm assuming someone signed off on the work as you were not in the country. If it was the agent then have you asked if they have this pink slip? The company should be able to tell you who signed off the work.

As a warranty is in addition to your legal rights, they can pretty much stipulate any clause they want to in it. Whether that is you have to claim via carrier pigeon, or turn up at their office and sing a song, or produce a 'pink slip'. Does the warranty Ts&Cs mention needing this pink slip for any claims?

There is no legal requirement to have an official complaints process. You could ask why they haven't required it before. Or is it a case they have required it, and the agent had it in their possession?
    Last edited by mije1983; 06-03-2018 at 6:50 PM.

• Mariawads
    • By Mariawads 6th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mariawads
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    The letting agent doesn’t have the slip. The window company are saying that I have signed it.... not possible. They have never asked or seen it before and have carried out repairs under the guarantee in the past, I have documents on email, one of them says “this is your guarantee”. I suppose I could just hope that they continue to be reasonable about any future repairs?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 3,564 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    You say installation was arranged between the agent and the tenant.

Could the tenant have got the pink slip if he was there when the windows were installed?
    • Mariawads
    • By Mariawads 7th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mariawads
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    No body has the pink slip. If it was given to someone at the time,we do not have it. What I’m saying is that they have carried out numerous repairs over the last 5 years when we had tenants, when we were there ourselves and we have never provided them with the pink slip. They know they fitted the windows, they have never asked for or seen the pink slip in the past, is it reasonable for them to now insist on seeing something that we don’t have and they have never seen in the past?
    Last edited by Mariawads; 07-03-2018 at 3:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 19,083 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    No body has the pink slip. If it was given to someone at the time,we do not have it. What I!!!8217;m saying is that they have carried out numerous repairs over the last 5 years when we had tenants, when we were there ourselves and we have never provided them with the pink slip. They know they fitted the windows, they have never asked for or seen the pink slip in the past, is it reasonable for them to now insist on seeing something that we don!!!8217;t have and they have never seen in the past?
    Originally posted by Mariawads

As I asked earlier, what does the warranty say about making a claim? What procedure do you need to follow? Does it say you need a mysterious pink slip?

It doesn't really matter if they haven't requested it in the past. If that's what the Ts&Cs say, then that's what you need to make a claim under their warranty.
    Last edited by mije1983; 07-03-2018 at 4:51 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter