Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xheatherxhx
    • By xheatherxhx 6th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    xheatherxhx
    Intrusive landlord
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    Intrusive landlord 6th Mar 18 at 6:22 PM
    I have gave my months notice to my landlord on a private rental. The landlord has advertised the flat but i have concerns i need clarified.

He wishes to show prospective new tenants around which is fine but its my understanding its at my convenience due to this he emailed asking if he could show viewers around without me being present which im sure is wrong. Am i within my rights to refuse viewings on a weekend? Also are viewers and landlord allowed to open up cupboards/ drawers containing personal belongings during a visit. My landlord on inspection opens every drawer etc i feel this is a violation of my privacy.

Now the main issue i have removed all his advertised soft furnishings and have my own the landlord has the stuff that came with the flat but his advert shows a different decor is this ok or should the advert mention tenants currently reside here and a lot of stuff is theirs. Also by rights i am vacating the premises on 31st march i believe i have until 23:59 that day to return the keys but his advert says available the followimg day leaving no time to handover to new people as in 2 years the paintwork has marks (magnolia walls) and really needs a lick of paint we also have a damp patch he has never addressed as im worried about my deposit.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 6th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 5,381 Thanks
    anselld
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    Read your contract regarding arrangements for viewings. You could legally refuse access but that may put you in breach of contract.

Opening drawers - no! Tell him not to.

Advertisement for new tenant - none of your business, ignore.

Vacating - again read the contract. Often 11am.

Deposit - check it is protected. Clean off marks. Take photos. Dispute any unfair deductions with the scheme.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    Sorry n, a tenant is entitled to occupy until
    23:59:59 on the last day of their tenancy
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 6th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    I have gave my months notice to my landlord on a private rental. The landlord has advertised the flat but i have concerns i need clarified.

He wishes to show prospective new tenants around which is fine but its my understanding its at my convenience - no, its as you agreed in the tenancy agreement. If it states something to the effect of 'agree access' then yes you can dictate convenient times. If its along the lines of 'access upon reasonable notice' then the LL can enter any reasonable time, providing they give the reqd notice (usually 24hrs). due to this he emailed asking if he could show viewers around without me being present which im sure is wrong. - If your LL is allowed to visit at that time, then you can choose to be present but cannot demand visits to suit when you are / aren't present. Am i within my rights to refuse viewings on a weekend? - yes if LL access requires your agreement in the contract. No if it only requires notice from the LL. However you may be able to negotiate something different e.g. say I'll help with tidying etc in return for viewings at these times. Also are viewers and landlord allowed to open up cupboards/ drawers containing personal belongings during a visit. My landlord on inspection opens every drawer etc i feel this is a violation of my privacy. - There's no explicit rule specifying what can be touched, but visits should be reasonable and for a purpose, not the LL treating the home as his own. Clearly state to the LL (and follow up in writing) to not touch your drawers unless he has a compelling reason to inspect, in which case he should explain that.

Now the main issue i have removed all his advertised soft furnishings and have my own the landlord has the stuff that came with the flat but his advert shows a different decor is this ok or should the advert mention tenants currently reside here and a lot of stuff is theirs. - Is it okay for you to have your furnishings? Yes, as long as you had permission to remove his property or have stored it safely to restore when you move out. Is it okay that the advert has his property? Nothing to do with you. In any case, viewers would assume some things belong to current tenants and its upto them / LL to clarify what will be in situ when they begin to rent. Also by rights i am vacating the premises on 31st march i believe i have until 23:59 that day to return the keys - Depends on what the contract says. There's no general time, so don't expect to have until midnight. but his advert says available the followimg day leaving no time to handover to new people - Available dates are often just guides, and again nothing to do with you. as in 2 years the paintwork has marks (magnolia walls) and really needs a lick of paint we also have a damp patch he has never addressed as im worried about my deposit. - What marks? Suggest you wash the walls and possibly repaint. What is the cause of the damp? If a property issue, then fine. Damp is often caused by condensation and humidity due to lifestlye, ie your responsibility to rectify.
    Originally posted by xheatherxhx
    Don't worry about the new tenants, that's nothing to do with you. Viewings / LL visits are only based on a contractual agreement usually in the TA. Practically, if you refuse access e.g. by changing locks the LL may not be able to enforce the contract by the time you leave, but he would be able to recover any losses from you as a result of your breach of the agreement on viewings.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 5,707 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    My landlord on inspection opens every drawer etc i feel this is a violation of my privacy.
    It is! Does he ask before doing this or have you ever asked why he does it?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • xheatherxhx
    • By xheatherxhx 6th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xheatherxhx
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    The drawers are my property. Some replies not helpful at all i already feel uneasy with this guy and feel like he will pop in at anytime. Theres nothing in tenancy agreement except i give him 28 days notice hence why im looking for help. And for the poster the walls are clean and have been washed but under the magnolia lurks pink paint so im reluctant to touch it. Would you be happy renting a property that wasnt up to scratch?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    Would you be happy renting a property that wasnt up to scratch?
    Lots of people do ... many of them have Hobson's Choice - either take X property or have no roof over your head at all.

Regarding marks etc., you're obliged to return the property in the same condition you found it, taking account of general wear and tear expected for your time of rental. If the walls were already like that and have simply become slightly more noticeable then you're probably OK - if there are scratches and dings in the wall that have arisen during your rental period then you'll need to get them sorted.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 7th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    The drawers are my property. Some replies not helpful at all i already feel uneasy with this guy and feel like he will pop in at anytime. Theres nothing in tenancy agreement except i give him 28 days notice hence why im looking for help. And for the poster the walls are clean and have been washed but under the magnolia lurks pink paint so im reluctant to touch it. Would you be happy renting a property that wasnt up to scratch?
    Which replies are "not helpful at all"? All the replies I have read to your OP offer advice and information on your "rights" (which is what you wanted) from some very knowledgeable members of the forum. Or were you only looking for answers along the lines of "aww poor you, you're entitled to squillions in compensation"?
    • xheatherxhx
    • By xheatherxhx 7th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xheatherxhx
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    Sorry bigsi no i was not but would you be happy if some randoms just opemed your front door. Also replies make out the walls are filthy thry are magnolia so some small marks have appeared nothing major but like i say the previous occupier had pink walls and i dont want the accusation of myself placing the pink marks. If i was so worried about the walls i would buy a tin of magnolia its cheap and id paint it myself. Again i have damp in my home that the landlord has not dealt with. Not looking for sympathy looking for advice replies like this make me happy i am moving into a property where i wont have any landlord dealings in future.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 7th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    giraffe69
    You have had some good advice. If you are concerned about the landlord entering when he pleases then change the lock but be prepared to change it back when you leave. Also take the advice about double checking whether the deposit is protected and if so with whom. Also a good idea to look at your inventory because only things that are on it matter and if any deterioration is a matter of normal wear and tear not deliberate damage you have no problem.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 7th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    parkrunner

He wishes to show prospective new tenants around which is fine but its my understanding its at my convenience due to this he emailed asking if he could show viewers around without me being present which im sure is wrong. Am i within my rights to refuse viewings on a weekend? Also are viewers and landlord allowed to open up cupboards/ drawers containing personal belongings during a visit. My landlord on inspection opens every drawer etc i feel this is a violation of my privacy.

Now the main issue i have removed all his advertised soft furnishings and have my own the landlord has the stuff that came with the flat but his advert shows a different decor is this ok or should the advert mention tenants currently reside here and a lot of stuff is theirs. Also by rights i am vacating the premises on 31st march i believe i have until 23:59 that day to return the keys but his advert says available the followimg day leaving no time to handover to new people as in 2 years the paintwork has marks (magnolia walls) and really needs a lick of paint we also have a damp patch he has never addressed as im worried about my deposit.
    First point is no there isn't anything wrong with having viewings in your absence, some tenants won't want it and some will have no problem with it, so your decision.

Second point, what the advert shows is irrelevant as it appears to be accurate unless it states "furnished" which may cause problems in the future but won't affect you in any way so don't be concerned. You can always tell prospective tenants during the viewings if you wish.
    • shonsay
    • By shonsay 7th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    shonsay
    I don't think you're within your rights to flat refuse all weekend viewings. Most rental contracts I have had state they will try and accommodate my convenient times, but you have to give a suitable alternative. It's an invasion of privacy and a total inconvenience but unfortunately that's the way of the world. The landlord is also able to enter the property and show people around without you present (to be honest I'd prefer this!), but that usually is something they would agree with you in advance.

With respect to the landlord rifling through your drawers, I'd say that's definitely a step too far. Maybe having a quick peek in mirrored wardrobes or something like that, but absolutely not going through drawers! Why would there be any need for that! And the fact the pictures differ from the actual decor is nothing for you to worry about - that's down to the landlord to explain. I wouldn't be painting it.

I'd be trying to accommodate the requests of the landlord as much as possible, as when it comes to deposits they can make things very difficult...the sad and unfair fact is the landlord has all the power in the rental world.

Good luck and enjoy your new place!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin