Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 6th Mar 18, 5:30 PM
    • 42,148Posts
    • 6,573,153Thanks
    One-Eye
    Move TAB & Puzzler Threads to Regulars ?
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:30 PM
    Move TAB & Puzzler Threads to Regulars ? 6th Mar 18 at 5:30 PM
    The regularly updated TAB Puzzle Thread and the Puzzler Mags Thread are often sent to GAME OVER by over use of the EXPIRED button. Every time this happens, a board guide has to be PMd to transfer it back to the main forum, and it usually also leads to extra posts in the thread, which in turn leads to emails being sent to everybody who is subscribed to the thread. In short it is a major pain.

If these two threads were permanently moved to the old Regular Competitions forum (f=93) then they could not be sent to GAME OVER as there is NO EXPIRED BUTTON.

The number of threads in Regulars would increase from 4 to 6. When a new post was added, the thread would no longer be bumped to the top of the main forum, but it would appear above the main forum against Regular Competitions.

Does anybody have any thoughts or comments about this, or any other ideas?

ETA 07/03 - The 2 threads have now been moved to "Regulars" as a trial.

If this is causing any genuine problems please post below.

Last edited by One-Eye; 07-03-2018 at 9:05 PM.
Page 1
    • marialionza
    • By marialionza 6th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    • 6,178 Posts
    • 71,656 Thanks
    marialionza
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    Why don't the g broad guides find out if its just one person or a group that often press expire and NAME and SHAME them
    Originally posted by wdywuk
    Some of them do it just to annoy, for example they open an account, comment on your post and vanish. I've seen it happen on a forum I used to belong to.
    Just to annoy.
    I think if possible the best bet is to eliminate all sorts of buttons except the thanks, just to keep track of yourself.
    You can always thank the poster on Chat Corner.
    THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS HERE
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 6th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 141,442 Posts
    • 4,063,328 Thanks
    fire**fly
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    hi, i agree wholeheartedly as this has sadly been
    an ongoing problem for a long time on comps board,
    they are titled as 'regularly updated/Ongoing' competitions
    & think it would be easier for newbies/peeps trying to find
    the reg threads & save time for members/peeps keep
    sending pms to BGs for a return which then saves
    BGs time moving them back,
    just my thoughts & thanks for the most sensible
    suggestion I think regarding these threads.
    ''Be happy for this moment.
    This moment is your life''
    Omar Khayyam.

• marialionza
    • By marialionza 6th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 6,178 Posts
    • 71,656 Thanks
    marialionza
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    What about putting a block to the thread that no one can change except for the Forum Team?
    THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS HERE
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 176,813 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    What about putting a block to the thread that no one can change except for the Forum Team?
    Originally posted by marialionza
    I don't think we are going to get anything done that means the forum team have to make changes as there would be development costs.

I think One-eye-s suggestion is a good one.

The old threads could have a final post pointing to the new location so that anyone should be able to find them.

• Glad
    • By Glad 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 17,877 Posts
    • 39,170 Thanks
    Glad
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    it's a good idea and we can always trial it for a period?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • thingamaBob
    • By thingamaBob 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 14,241 Posts
    • 875,774 Thanks
    thingamaBob
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    This does seem to the best idea suggested so far and one that can be easily instigated.
    Bob
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Omar Khayyam
    • Stemma
    • By Stemma 6th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 4,508 Thanks
    Stemma
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    I agree this seems to be the easiest way to save the thread from going into Game Over whether in error or otherwise.
    Don't fear change. You may lose something good, but you may also gain something great.
    • grumpyoldwoman
    • By grumpyoldwoman 7th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    grumpyoldwoman
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    Yes it would be better to move them to the Regulars board so that they can't be expired at all. To be honest I had no idea there wasn't an expired button on the threads in Regulars so I'm wondering why there is one on the TAB and Puzzler threads.

I still use the old style board and that only has one expired button at the top of the page as opposed to one on each post on the new style board, so not as easy to accidentally click it. Nevertheless, not having an expired button at all would be the best option.
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 7th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 7,660 Thanks
    spendaholic
    I do think someone in charge of the forum needs to do something. I'm not sure which is the best course, but this one suggested does seem to be the best alternative offered so far.

I have all of my regular threads in my user CP as I subscribe to them, so I still see them whether they're in expired or still active.

I don't have email notifications, so I'm not bombarded with numerous non-competition replies.

I come in every day and check my user CP for updates on subscribed threads.

In short, I don't have the same problem that many others report. It really is a quick in and out for me ( ), but it *is* a problem for many others and I do wonder why time can't be spent on fixing this instead of *fixing* things that aren't really broken.
    Last edited by spendaholic; 07-03-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Highest debt: 35k (2005); Current debt: 6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
    • GW78
    • By GW78 7th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 8,154 Thanks
    GW78
    I'm subscribed to the thread too so usually only notice it's in Game Over when people mention they've requested to get it moved back. It must be frustrating and annoying for those that have to deal with it. It would be nice to eliminate this aspect and there doesn't seem to be another way despite many suggestions of the years.
    I can't see a downside tbh.
    ETA: I've just noticed they're already there!
    • Daphne01
    • By Daphne01 7th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 18,678 Posts
    • 1,039,653 Thanks
    Daphne01
    Something needs to be done.

Another idea

The expired button can only expire the post that it's clicked on similar to the main board and postals.
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter