Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 6th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sandyk01
    Maternity Pay
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    Maternity Pay 6th Mar 18 at 5:09 PM
    Hi Guys

New to this so not sure if thread in the right place.

I work in a Local Authority and dont understand the whole maternity pay thing- trying to conceive.

I earn 41k plus 6k market supplment so 47k in total- what am I looking at weekly pay if I spread the payments over the full 52 weeks. Options re 90% for 6 weeks but I want to spread it across the year.

Have been in employment for over a year so entitled to it all.

Helpful to know beforehand before we actually conceive to know if we can afford it/what we need to save.

Thanks everyone xx
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    I assume, since I cant read T&Cs for employment.

You're getting 90% for 6 weeks and then SMP?

Spreading across the year may not be best. Most costs are at the start.
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 6th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sandyk01
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    Yup that's right. I work for a local council. I think costs aside id need a regular monthly income for my mortgage. Any idea what I'm looking at per month based on my salary?
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 5,792 Posts
    • 6,680 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    Yup that's right. I work for a local council. I think costs aside id need a regular monthly income for my mortgage. Any idea what I'm looking at per month based on my salary?
    Originally posted by sandyk01
    Just save it then at the front?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,149 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    This isn't a completely straightforward question to answer: SMP is calculated weekly, so unless you're paid every 4 weeks (ie 13 times a year) then what you'll get each month will vary, depending on whether there are five Sundays in the month or four. (I think it's the Sundays it's based on.)

I don't think it can be paid across the whole year, so to work out what you're going to receive you need to find your weekly rate of pay (annual salary divided by 52), take 90% of that, multiply it by 6, and then add 33 weeks of SMP. You can then divide that total by 12 or 52 to work out what the monthly or weekly average will be.

The actual answer will differ slightly because of course there are slightly more than 52 weeks in the year. And does your local authority not offer enhance maternity pay AS LONG AS YOU RETURN TO WORK AFTERWARDS?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Pricivius
    • By Pricivius 7th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Pricivius
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    Just to add, it's also worth looking at your partner's contract. He/she may be entitled to enhanced shared parental pay so it may be financially preferable for him/her to take more shared parental leave.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 8th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    I don't think it can be paid across the whole year, so to work out what you're going to receive you need to find your weekly rate of pay (annual salary divided by 52), take 90% of that, multiply it by 6, and then add 33 weeks of SMP. You can then divide that total by 12 or 52 to work out what the monthly or weekly average will be.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    It can be paid across the whole year - my sister has just done this, working for the NHS. Of course there's no legal right to it but some organisations will. I don't know how it works behind the scenes for the employer (I work in finance/payroll but never anywhere that has done this)

As the OP works in local authority it sounds like this might be possible for her.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 8th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    riotlady
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    I used this to get an estimate of mine- I also worked for a LA and couldn't get it spread equally across my leave, think it must vary employer to employer so you may just have to save up the extra in the fat months to last you through the lean ones.

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-paternity-calculator
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    509/2018
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Mar 18, 12:26 AM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,149 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:26 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:26 AM
    I'd imagine that one reason why it's not normally spread across the whole year is that you are able to change your mind about your return date. So after two months of paid OML you might be going stir crazy and want to return before the year is up: you have the right to do that if you give 8 weeks' notice.

I would not want to be in the payroll dept working out how much correction to make to your SMP!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,343Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin