Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spender£
    • By Spender£ 6th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Spender£
    Composite Solidor, Weak Frame?
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    Composite Solidor, Weak Frame? 6th Mar 18 at 5:04 PM
    I have been told that to get one of these doors my existing strong frame will be removed to put this Solidor frame in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfMAc3kvBWw

Am i alone in thinking this frame looks like garbage on this video so i'm wondering if to even bother!
    Last edited by Spender£; 06-03-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Link not working!
    Time Is The Enemy!
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 6th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    Furts
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    Your link does not work. Take a look, revise your post, and see if anyone can offer any answers.

Composite doors come complete with ordinary, everyday upvc hollow profile frame Does this shed any light on your concerns?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    Looks alright to me. I'd have broken the window to get in! Are you considering using R&B or is that just a random clip off the internet?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Spender£
    • By Spender£ 7th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Spender£
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    It is just a random clip, unfortunately the first link didn't work.
    Apparently this frame contains a "Werber" reinforced bar or something, i was concerned by how the frame moves around with the crowbar but maybe this is normal in modern frames.
    My old frame is really solid, but i have been told that it would be removed and replaced with one of these frames.
    Time Is The Enemy!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 7th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    Furts
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    It is just a random clip, unfortunately the first link didn't work.
    Apparently this frame contains a "Werber" reinforced bar or something, i was concerned by how the frame moves around with the crowbar but maybe this is normal in modern frames.
    My old frame is really solid, but i have been told that it would be removed and replaced with one of these frames.
    Originally posted by Spender£

The frame is weak - it is just a hollow plastic profile. The key thing is to have strength where the door hinges are screwed in, and to have sufficient rigidity to get the frame fixed into the walls.

Take all the security youtube clips with an enormous pinch of salt. They exist to instill a false sense of security in people's minds. You know that a timber frame is vastly better for strength, but the clips are not going to say this. They will say modern is better.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 2,745 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    The frame is weak - it is just a hollow plastic profile. The key thing is to have strength where the door hinges are screwed in, and to have sufficient rigidity to get the frame fixed into the walls.

Take all the security youtube clips with an enormous pinch of salt. They exist to instill a false sense of security in people's minds. You know that a timber frame is vastly better for strength, but the clips are not going to say this. They will say modern is better.
    Originally posted by Furts
    Was not sure if you were going to shoot me down for saying this. But you appear too accept it so now the rub ... if Solidor were really concerned about security, and about your valid and obvious concerns about security then they would have implemented the obvious solution. Solidor wax lyrical about their composite doors having a "laminated timber core construction" to make them tough and resistant. So why have they not done this with the frame?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin