Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 7,090Posts
    • 5,850Thanks
    Norman Castle
    200 item paid with paypal. Collection?
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    200 item paid with paypal. Collection? 6th Mar 18 at 4:34 PM
    Just sold a 200 collection only item, paid with paypal. Should I hand over or cancel the payment and ask for cash instead. I didn't think to add cash on collection to the listing.

Too risky?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 6th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    Helpful thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064
    • gemstars
    • By gemstars 7th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    gemstars
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    That is a good thread Brynsam has posted.

It explains what I was going to say which is even when an item is collection only, you HAVE to list paypal as an option - it won't let you delete it.

You could contact the buyer and ask if they would be willing to pay in cash if you sent them a refund, as you want to avoid the paypal fees. That seems quite reasonable in my mind - be aware that if you do send a refund you would still be charged a 20p admin fee by paypal but in my opinion it would be worth taking this hit to avoid the fees on a 200 payment.

I have spoken with both ebay and paypal about this situation in the past and they advised me that if a buyer pays by paypal for a collection only item that you should ask them to sign something to state that they accept the item when it is collected so that they can't say it is not as described later. Remember to check that the signature the use is genuine.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    That is a good thread Brynsam has posted.

It explains what I was going to say which is even when an item is collection only, you HAVE to list paypal as an option - it won't let you delete it.

You could contact the buyer and ask if they would be willing to pay in cash if you sent them a refund, as you want to avoid the paypal fees. That seems quite reasonable in my mind - be aware that if you do send a refund you would still be charged a 20p admin fee by paypal but in my opinion it would be worth taking this hit to avoid the fees on a 200 payment.

I have spoken with both ebay and paypal about this situation in the past and they advised me that if a buyer pays by paypal for a collection only item that you should ask them to sign something to state that they accept the item when it is collected so that they can't say it is not as described later. Remember to check that the signature the use is genuine.
    Originally posted by gemstars
    Out of interest how do you check a signature is genuine or even 'belongs' to the owner of the account that bought the item?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 7th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    In these circumstances would it be an idea to post them a receipt using a trackable service. That would give you a tracking number to put in the system.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 7th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    If you can afford to lose both the item and the 200 then accept Paypal, if not then insist on cash.

There is NO protection for you as a seller if the buyer pays by Paypal and then collects in person - no amount of bits of paper with a signature on will see you win against an INR case.

Been there, made that mistake, never again.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 7th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 21,680 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    PayPal requires proof of delivery.

You should politely contact the buyer letting them know this and say that you are refunding their payment as you'd like cash on collection, or they can pay via bank transfer if they prefer.

Or... find out what postage would be and offer a PayPal payment including delivery cost.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    PayPal requires proof of delivery.

You should politely contact the buyer letting them know this and say that you are refunding their payment as you'd like cash on collection, or they can pay via bank transfer if they prefer.

Or... find out what postage would be and offer a PayPal payment including delivery cost.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    It's worth reading the thread suggests in post 2 here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064

Basically to return the payment without incurring a defect the seller would need to cancel the sale , probably using 'problems with buyers address' as the reason. That leaves seller open to a warning for selling 'off eBay' as they would basically be messaging the buyer after the sale has been cancelled and the FVFs refunded arranging collection. Obviously the seller still has the option of cancelling and contacting the buyer via email (which will show in the PayPal payment page) but even that risks a warning.

It is no longer as simple as just returning the payment and insisting on cash, as far as eBay are concerned buyer has done nothing wrong, they have paid using a method that would show as the preferred method at checkout.

Many of us gamble on hoping for cash on collection on eBay but we must accept it is a gamble and can go wrong.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 8th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    Basically the connection between item for collection only and Paypal payment is potentially a minefield. I've read all the threads and in my opinion this action is a gamble which neither ebay nor Paypal have satisfactorily addressed. It requires trust on behalf of the seller and the buyer which in most cases works well but is open to abuse.

Would I agree to a paypal payment for an expensive easily sale-able item - no I wouldn't risk it!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    Basically the connection between item for collection only and Paypal payment is potentially a minefield. I've read all the threads and in my opinion this action is a gamble which neither ebay nor Paypal have satisfactorily addressed. It requires trust on behalf of the seller and the buyer which in most cases works well but is open to abuse.

Would I agree to a paypal payment for an expensive easily sale-able item - no I wouldn't risk it!
    Originally posted by Alfrescodave
    I doubt many people would risk paypal on a 200 item being collected, however that doesn't outweigh the fact that ebay rules allow it and the pitfalls of trying to avoid this situation are as outlined in this thread:

Personally I am not a gambler, and for higher end items that require collection I now use other sites, I would no longer risk a problems with defects or losing FVFs by using ebay.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 8th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    I doubt many people would risk paypal on a 200 item being collected, however that doesn't outweigh the fact that ebay rules allow it and the pitfalls of trying to avoid this situation are as outlined in this thread:

Personally I am not a gambler, and for higher end items that require collection I now use other sites, I would no longer risk a problems with defects or losing FVFs by using ebay.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Basically it comes down to the fact that there is an (unacceptable ?) level of risk associated with this type of transaction which ebay and paypal are not willing to address. Whilst a 200 item might generate a higher level of risk than a 50 item - none of us wish to be scammed.
    • gemstars
    • By gemstars 8th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    gemstars
    Out of interest how do you check a signature is genuine or even 'belongs' to the owner of the account that bought the item?
    Originally posted by soolin
    I would ask for ID.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    I would ask for ID.
    Originally posted by gemstars
    Well that would mean I couldn't collect then as my main buying account is in a name that I use but is not my legal name, so I don't have any ID at all.

Also I think you miss the point of the thread. The main worry is not an SNAD claim but an INR claim, and a bit of paper will not protect you from that.

I would urge you to read the sticky postage thread as that explains about seller protection on PayPal.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 9th Mar 18, 12:07 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    Speaking as a business seller, with plenty of experience - take the cash on collection!!!
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 9th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Nesty
    Another thing which always gets me about these transactions. Why is the buyer insistent on using paypal and collect? Especially for something so high valued.

Anyone who does ebay knows that if you going to collect or item it can't be sent. Then it's unlikely the seller will deal this way, so it's cash on collection and you must forego your paypal protection.

I think people who insisting on dealing this way have ulterior motive. You just can't risk it nowadays
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I think people who insisting on dealing this way have ulterior motive. You just can't risk it nowadays
    You forget that it's dinned into people to not trade off eBay and paypal *protection* blah blah ... most people aren't members of forums and do go any deeper than that level that's dinned into them when they log into the site.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 60,465 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    soolin
    Another thing which always gets me about these transactions. Why is the buyer insistent on using paypal and collect? Especially for something so high valued.

Anyone who does ebay knows that if you going to collect or item it can't be sent. Then it's unlikely the seller will deal this way, so it's cash on collection and you must forego your paypal protection.

Originally posted by Nesty
    The listing will automatically show as PayPal preferred, buyers seeing that or going through checkout to try and contact the seller will be faced with the idea that they must pay by PayPal. Others fund larger purchases with credit cards, just read some of the other boards on here as it is very common, so instead of worrying about raising 200 they bung it on a card and pay it off in instalments.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 10th Mar 18, 3:32 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Nesty
    You forget that it's dinned into people to not trade off eBay and paypal *protection* blah blah ... most people aren't members of forums and do go any deeper than that level that's dinned into them when they log into the site.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Even my Dad knows about this rule and he deals with ebay very little!
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 10th Mar 18, 5:26 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    >Too risky?<

Many factors - what the item is, look at buyer's house in Google Street View, have they uses txt spk in any emails etc
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 16,531 Posts
    • 41,722 Thanks
    elsien
    Living in a less than pristine house in a lower rent area does not make you a scammer (- speaking as someone from a less than salubrious postcode who's never scammed anyone.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,725Users online

Martin's Twitter