Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diz79
    • By diz79 6th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 0Thanks
    diz79
    Credit card for security
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    Credit card for security 6th Mar 18 at 4:09 PM
    I just wondered if anyone could help me. I was looking to get a credit card to help with purchasing flights and certain expensive goods, so im covered if anything goes wrong, been stung in the past and was told credit cards can help you out. I don't really have any debt and have avoided for a while.

If anyone has any idea I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,811 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    They can be a very useful tool, both for making purchases, with section 75 protection and building a credit history.

They can also be bad news if you're the sort of person who sees it as free money.

Have a look at the eligibility checker. If you have a thin credit file, your options may be quite limited, but we all need to start somewhere.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 20,114 Posts
    • 15,838 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    Every credit card issued by a UK issuer will provide the cover you describe (Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act). You simply need to choose the one that suits your requirements best.
    • diz79
    • By diz79 7th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diz79
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    Thanks guys but being an amateur I'm not sue where to go, do you have any recomendations for this type of card I suggested on where I dont get charged much but if say for instance I purchase a flight and it gets cancelled im covered. Does that make sense?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    If a flight is cancelled the airline will rebook you on another flight or offer a refund. A credit card can give protection in case the airline goes bust. You won't be charged anything if you use the card correctly and pay it off in full by the due date. Choose which card according to your requirements and circumstances.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Mar 18, 11:31 PM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:31 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:31 PM
    so im covered if anything goes wrong, been stung in the past and was told credit cards can help you out.
    Originally posted by diz79
    First of all, you won't be "covered if anything goes wrong". There are two mechanisms that CCs offer.

1) Chargeback. This is a scheme set up by the CC networks. In certain defined circumstances, the CCs can effectively reverse a transaction if things goes wrong - eg you order goods that are never delivered. If your situation fits one of the scenarios covered, then usually the CC is happy to help out. This is because they recover the money down the chain - so they are not out of pocket.

2) S75. This is a piece of UK legislation that means that subject to certain provisos, a lender is jointly liable in the event of breach of contract or misrepresentation. So if something goes wrong with your purchase, you can make a claim on the CC. BUT... CCs will often resist these claims as best they can because usually they will foot the bill. Generally they will pay out in the "big" cases (eg a large retailer going bust) because the evidence of their liability is pretty clear. But for the one offs, they will put up barriers - eg demanding an expert's report to establish that something is faulty before paying out.

So taken together, you have a useful toolkit in the event something goes wrong - but you won't be covered in all scenarios. Eg you buy something for 80 that goes wrong after 9 months. It's under 100 so S75 won't help. It will be too late for chargeback which, I think, is limited to 6 months.
    • benten69
    • By benten69 8th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    benten69
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    Tha.....where I dont get charged much ....
    Originally posted by diz79
    You won't get charged a penny with pretty much any credit card as long as you pay the balance IN FULL every month.

As for where to get one, I just got one with my bank for my first ever credit card....some 7-8 years later it is still the one and only credit card I have ever head, but the balance is paid in full every single month.

These days the debit card only comes out to withdraw cash from the ATM, every other card purchase is via credit card for the added security incase a purchase goes wrong or someone steals the card details and goes awol spending money.
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,714Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin