Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Srose
    • By Srose 6th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Srose
    Clydesdale refusing to pay switch award
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    Clydesdale refusing to pay switch award 6th Mar 18 at 4:07 PM
    Has anyone else had any difficulties in gaining there 250 switch reward?

As far I was aware I met all of the requirements. They agree that I opened my account on the 27th of October, have met the DD and 1000 min pay ins ever since. (Although one of my DDs did get messed up by them).

I have just chased them and they said my account switch wasn't completed until the 14th of December. Which is outside of their required 31 day period. So I will not receive my 250.

I don't understand why it took so long for them to complete the switch but have asked them to escalate it as a complaint and am waiting to hear back within a couple of days. The lady on the phone said she doubts if they will honour it though as they had high demand and have been very strict on it.

I feel really upset as I was constantly checking into my account and ensuring I met everything that was required. I feel really cheated.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 18,843 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    Why did they say it took so long to complete the switch? Is their date accurate?

• Srose
    • By Srose 6th Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Srose
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    The first person I spoke to said o for some reason the switch has taken much longer than normal. (I hadn't noticed as I begun moving money through the account the day it opened). I have checked my statement and it does indeed say it completed on the 14th of Dec although my instructions were made at the end of October). I mentioned maybe it was because of the issue with one of my DD (they made an error from what I can understand).

The second person I spoke to said that I had chosen the 14th Dec and therefore would not be able to appeal.

I questioned why I would have chosen that date? They say I chose it- I can't remember and why wouldn't they say if there was to be an issue? I received an email saying 'Be Ready for Your Big Hello!' And now I am waiting for a call back but from the person I speak to I am not hopeful.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 6th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 9,152 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    meer53
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    What switch date did you choose ? Why didn't you contact them when the switch didn't happen on that date ?
    • Srose
    • By Srose 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Srose
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    I honestly don't remember. I would have thought I would just chose the soonest date?

If the are right and I chose that date the only thing I can think is I made a mistake and was looking to select the 14th of Nov, not Dec.

And the account I switched it from wasn't one that I regularly used (it just has a couple of small DD and a standing order going into it to cover the payments going out)...so I only looked into it when I had an email from the DVLA about an issue with taking payment.
    • Srose
    • By Srose 6th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Srose
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    If ultimately it was a mistake on my part I will have to just accept it. Although bit of goodwill on their part would go a long way.

I just don't think I chose that date (but they seem to think I have). I don't understand why they sent me the information on the bonus if the date meant it wasn't eligible.

My partner wasn't sure about me switching (he is lazy!) and he thinks they have probably tried to get out of lots of them. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience?

I feel upset with myself, and annoyed as I was actually pretty happy with Clydesdale so was going to move more of my banking into it to clean up some of my accounts. I won't be doing that if I don't get the bonus.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    What did you do with the letters/emails that told you when the switch was going to happen?
    • jacksonfl
    • By jacksonfl 6th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jacksonfl
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    That sounds so similar to me.

I've had the exact same issue as you. I originally signed up for B on October 26th. I filled out the form to request the switch the next day.

I called today to ask about my reward and they refused the switching reward. They agreed I had fulfilled all the other requirements for direct debits and the pay in amount, but said my account switch happened outside of the allowed timeframe.

They also claim I chose the account switch date of December 8th. Like you I questioned of why I would have chosen a date that far in the future. I received the same "big hello" email for switching on Oct 27th.

I can't remember the date I chose. but I do know I would have chosen the earliest date possible. So their website must have been at fault, if I could only have chosen December at the earliest.

I have a letter from First Direct who I switched from, saying the request had been received on November 30th, I also have a letter from B on the same date saying "Your switch has begun"

As far as I am concerned it was their system at fault, why it took so long to switch is beyond me.
    • IanMK
    • By IanMK 8th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    IanMK
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    Same has happened here! I've been told one of my direct debits was set up before the swtich and hence I'm not eligible for the bonus. The switch was set up by them and so were the direct debits. Clearly their process is flawed or designed to allow them not to pay out. I'll be leaving them shortly. Great app, lousy, dishonest service. I did all the requirements at my end and they've let me down. Their customer service stinks and they didn't communicate any problems along the way or that I wouldn't be getting my bonus!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Same has happened here! I've been told one of my direct debits was set up before the swtich and hence I'm not eligible for the bonus. The switch was set up by them and so were the direct debits. Clearly their process is flawed or designed to allow them not to pay out. I'll be leaving them shortly. Great app, lousy, dishonest service. I did all the requirements at my end and they've let me down. Their customer service stinks and they didn't communicate any problems along the way or that I wouldn't be getting my bonus!
    Originally posted by IanMK
    If they set up a direct debit that was switched on the wrong date then they are at fault and you are entitled to the switching bonus. Make a formal complaint.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 9th Mar 18, 4:54 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    What did you do with the letters/emails that told you when the switch was going to happen?
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    I was thinking the same thing but when I checked back I didn't actually get one that said what the date of the switch would be. Mind you, I knew and had taken a note of the date I had chosen, and kept tabs on what was happening, so I knew everything was going according to plan and meeting the requirements of the switch bonus.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • IAmHereHello
    • By IAmHereHello 9th Mar 18, 6:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    IAmHereHello
    I'll just say I got mine. To add to this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,184Posts Today

7,437Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin