Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 6th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: Energy smart meters: What's your view?
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    MSE Poll: Energy smart meters: What's your view? 6th Mar 18 at 4:02 PM
    Poll started 6 March 2018

Energy smart meters: Great tech or a pain in the neck?

Over eight million energy smart meters have been rolled out. They automatically send meter readings to your supplier for you, so you donít have to. Yet many have issues, including the fact that if you switch, they revert to being Ďdumbí meters.

So whatís your opinion? Please select ALL the options that are closest to your view under the relevant category.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 6th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 14,075 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    I've never undertood the hesitation in getting a smart meter because it will revert to a dumb meter if you switch.

What do folk think they have got anyway?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.7
    Total so far - 1537.8
    • Nullboris
    • By Nullboris 6th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Nullboris
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    Pretty much a waste of money .. the cost of rolling this tech out, if put towards peoples bills , would be at least £250 , probably closer to £400. The only way its justified is if they start to charge variable pricing eg leccy at 02.00am is dirt cheap but at 18.00pm its higher priced. my heating is included in my rent so its only cooking and lighting. If I get one I'm going to throw it out the Window. Billions wasted .
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 6th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 22,719 Posts
    • 57,011 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    Wasn't sure whether to answer or not, as I have a dumb meter that used to be a smart meter before we moved here.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • andy5241
    • By andy5241 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    andy5241
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    Smart Meters
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    Good idea, but I'm on my fifth one already because I'm with the Energy Saving Club and they haven't got round to SMETS 2 yet.
    • stevemul
    • By stevemul 6th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    stevemul
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    You are all missing the obvious point!
    Energy Companies are never going to reduce their profits and therefore their shareholder dividends. If consumers use less, they will raise prices and reduce their output to increase profits each year to maintain and/or increase their share price. This is the principle of the stock market. It is naive to think that by reducing your consumption you will reduce your annual cost.
    • Juliet Miles
    • By Juliet Miles 6th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Juliet Miles
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    Forced into having one
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    My supplier, EDF, rang and basically insisted that I have my meters changed. When I explained that I didn't want to as I had gathered (on here) that they only function with the supplier that fitted them I was told that they were replacing all meters and I had no choice. I pointed out that I would probably change supplier when my current deal runs out in 6 months time and they would therefore be wasting their time and money but I was still told they had to do it. There was no point in getting cross with the poor girl on the phone as she was only doing her job of making appointments but it just seems such a waste to me.
    They asked how often I would like the readings to update and gave me 3 options. When the appointment letter came through it says they want to take my readings every half an hour ( which was not the option I chose) so that they can advise me on how to cut my bills. If this means I am going to be inundated with emails from them I shall be extremely cross - I don't want them trying to sell me any money saving gadgets which is what I suspect a lot of this is about.
    • aquariass
    • By aquariass 7th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    aquariass
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    another con
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    Had smart meter which failed, but was not informed until I wanted to swap supplier.The company could not tell me how long the meter had been faulty, and that I would have to arrange replacement with my new supplier. I now have a 'dumb' meter and am sticking with it.(until the industry/gov make it compulsory)
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 19,370 Posts
    • 44,908 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    My supplier, EDF, rang and basically insisted that I have my meters changed. When I explained that I didn't want to as I had gathered (on here) that they only function with the supplier that fitted them I was told that they were replacing all meters and I had no choice. I pointed out that I would probably change supplier when my current deal runs out in 6 months time and they would therefore be wasting their time and money but I was still told they had to do it. There was no point in getting cross with the poor girl on the phone as she was only doing her job of making appointments but it just seems such a waste to me.
    They asked how often I would like the readings to update and gave me 3 options. When the appointment letter came through it says they want to take my readings every half an hour ( which was not the option I chose) so that they can advise me on how to cut my bills. If this means I am going to be inundated with emails from them I shall be extremely cross - I don't want them trying to sell me any money saving gadgets which is what I suspect a lot of this is about.
    Originally posted by Juliet Miles
    It would be a terrible shame if you had to go out, all day, due to unforeseen circumstances on the day of the appointment.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • sharonjg19
    • By sharonjg19 7th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sharonjg19
    I have a smart meter with B Gas. I wanted to switch to Eon but they have refused me, saying:

At present, E.ON are unable to facilitate the take on of any customers who have a British Gas meter which is set up with a tariff that has discounted or free energy at the weekend.
    These meters are incompatible with Eon systems and we are unable to bill these accounts.

So I felt I have had to stay with them. OK i set up a new tariff with them, but at the time of switching to them and they installing the Smart Meter, I asked if it would restrict me switching at the end of the contract , they insisted it would not. Bit of false advertising to me! @MSE I do think you need to make people aware that currently having a Smart Meter installed, can restrict future switching.
    • jrbutler
    • By jrbutler 7th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jrbutler
    They're a great idea and give you the ability to pinpoint what is using the most energy in your home and when, also gives a great incentive to help the kids be more energy conscious by showing them what happens when they remember to switch the lights off!!! Also saves the hassle of having to read meters and submit results.

The only problem is: Compatibility, we've just switched and therefore we're back to square one, with the new meters and associated smart device (plus their installation) proving to be a great big waste of consumer money.

Please get your act together energy providers, make your kit compatible.... Or maybe do more to keep your customers in the first place!!
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 7th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 11,620 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I've never undertood the hesitation in getting a smart meter because it will revert to a dumb meter if you switch.

What do folk think they have got anyway?
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Because it is a waste of money and resources. Even if not your own money, directly, if's still a waste.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 7th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 11,620 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    You are all missing the obvious point!
    Energy Companies are never going to reduce their profits and therefore their shareholder dividends. If consumers use less, they will raise prices and reduce their output to increase profits each year to maintain and/or increase their share price. This is the principle of the stock market. It is naive to think that by reducing your consumption you will reduce your annual cost.
    Originally posted by stevemul
    Without wanting to stick up for the free-market too much, if usage went down then the energy company's costs would go down, so the total amount they bill could come down and their profit would remain the same.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 7th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    John Gray
    The only function which is of any use on my "Smart Meters" is the automatic meter readings and sending to the energy company.

The hand-held display device is quite pathetic...
    • mickjudge64
    • By mickjudge64 7th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mickjudge64
    I'm really unsure about smart meters. I use to manage a large office building which had hourly meter readings & the unit charge varied from hour to hour. I can't help thinking that if most of us had smart meters then the could do similar for domestic rates
    • margaret eyles
    • By margaret eyles 7th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    margaret eyles
    Felt pressured to have a smart meter, yes it provides meter readings to save me doing this but I understood it would be a permanent live display so say if someone plugged in a heater it would show immediately on the display so we could work out what was costing us a lot & so make savings - this (Ovo Smart Meter) does not have this facility - if I had known this I would not have taken the day off to have this installed. I dont really feel I have benefitted from this meter. I understand from Ovo however this maybecome a future option.
    Last edited by margaret eyles; 07-03-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Quotation marks are showing as strange numbers & letters
    • brutus6
    • By brutus6 7th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    brutus6
    To be fair I made a mistake. Got a SMET1 - didn't realise it wouldn't be compatible with other providers. Now too late. It's not the fact that since switching it's nolonger a smart meter that is my problem. It's that it is harder to read than a normal meter. I have to press a number of what seem like random buttons to get to the right screen and tehn read the right part.

My fault really. I sshould have done my research.
    • red47baron
    • By red47baron 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    red47baron
    Energy Smart Meters
    Everyone has missed the point with smart meters, the reason the energy companies like them is if you are more than 28 days late in paying the bill they can change you onto a pay as you go tariff remotely without going to court to get permission to change the meter whether you like it or not ( if you do not pay the pay as you go charges you are deemed to have cut yourself off not the energy company) thus saving them a fortune. Or just cut you off if you are a business customer.
    • NinjaPenguin
    • By NinjaPenguin 7th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    NinjaPenguin
    Smart meters: Great idea, poor execution
    I like the initial idea behind smart meters, no more estimated bills, no more meter reader knocking on your door when you're sleeping off nights etc. The issue is, however, when it come to changing suppliers.

I had smart meters fitted from British Gas, all fine & dandy. Then I switched to Sainsburys energy which is part of British Gas, so there was still no problem. When it came time to switch again, I looked for a company that supported smart meters, and settled on First Utility. At no point during the switch was I made aware that my smart meters would now become dumb meters.
    The first I knew that my meter wasn't compatible, was when I contacted First Utility to find out why they kept asking for meter readings when I have a smart meter.

I would have though that, since it was a government plan to roll out smart meters, they would have ensured that they were all standard, or at least compatible. I should have known better.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I didn't vote because there aren't any relevant options. I don't want one because:

a) They're a waste of consumers money
    b) I don't want any potential unreliability
    c) I don't need a smart meter to tell me where most energy goes
    d) I don't want them changing the tariff according to demand

the unit charge varied from hour to hour.
    Originally posted by mickjudge64
    Once the unit price depends on demand it will become virtually impossible to compare prices and find the cheapest supplier.
    Last edited by jack_pott; 07-03-2018 at 5:01 PM.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin