Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Supergran
    • 20th Oct 07, 9:02 PM
    • 20th Oct 07, 9:02 PM
    I also would like some recipes, I have just been put on a wheat free diet and it has cost me £4.29 today for a loaf of bread and two packets of biscuits.

I know i have to do it for my health but the cost is silly money.
    Dreams Do Come True
  • D&DD
    • 20th Oct 07, 10:31 PM
    • 20th Oct 07, 10:31 PM
    Here's the brownie recipe I use
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=6581085&postcount=43

Supergran I can recommend the Panasonic breadmaker for making gluten free bread,it will save you money in the long run if you have to buy the bread at that price! I get breadmixes free on prescription for my son not sure if its still free for adults??

He loves Juvela products and they now do a fresh loaf which is baked to order through your pharmacist in batches of 8 loaves.We tried him with these but he had a reaction (he's dairy free too and the loaves contain milk) he liked the taste tho!
    Did your dietician give you any cards to send off for some samples?? They are very generous sample packs and help you get some idea of products available when first diagnosed..They also all have sites with recipes on them
    try a search for
    Juvela
    Glutafin
    Orgran
    HTH DX
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
  • nodwah
    • 20th Oct 07, 10:49 PM
    • 20th Oct 07, 10:49 PM
    I also would like some recipes, I have just been put on a wheat free diet and it has cost me £4.29 today for a loaf of bread and two packets of biscuits.

I know i have to do it for my health but the cost is silly money.
    Originally posted by Supergran

I've been wheat free for 20 years and I've genarally stopped making bread altogther and dont' really miss it. Having said that dove's farm do a bread mix (in a white packet with pink writing) that you add eggs to and poss other things, and it comes out lovely and risen if a bit cake-like. You can get it in larger sainsbury's. If you're only wheat free and not gluten check out any delis locally as a few near me do rye breads which suit me, denser than normal bread and not all are the really heavy sourdough types. I used to get flour from a health food shop that was made from milllet and I used a mixture of that and rye flour to make a sort of small loaf which was tasty, but i haven't seen that for a while.
    If it's cakes you're after doves farm rye flour is good for fruit cakes like christmas cake and it makes good carrot cake and banana loaf for me.
    Make oatcakes your friend! but check the label some have wheat.
    You'll be learning that the most amazing things have wheat in them like yoghurt and even ham and watch out for pringles!
    Tesco do a nice shortbread type biscuit in their free from range that's seriously addictive.
    It's a bit late in the evening and I think I'm rambling so sorry....:confused:
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Supergran
    • 21st Oct 07, 11:08 PM
    • 21st Oct 07, 11:08 PM
    Thanks D&DD I will check out the names you gave me. I haven't seen the dietician yet, i am waiting for an appointment, but i am trying to do my best while i am waiting.

Also thanks to nodwah for the information, I have bought a packet of oat cakes and have yet to try them.
    Dreams Do Come True
    • monkeymagic11
    • By monkeymagic11 22nd Oct 07, 1:05 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    monkeymagic11
    • 22nd Oct 07, 1:05 AM
    Clementine Cake
    • 22nd Oct 07, 1:05 AM
    I make a lovely cake at Christmas with ground almonds and clementines (but you can use any oranges or even lemons). It's a Nigella recipe

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=175

It seems like a real faff because you have to boil the oranges in their skin for 2 hours but you just stick them on and leave them and then the house smells gorgeous (especially at Christmas!)

The recipe says to process the whole lot but when I started making it I didn't have a processor so I used a potato masher to mash up the oranges and it was just as good.

It is suitable for those with a wheat allergy but not nut allergy because it's made with ground almonds

It's lovely! yum x

PS My dad suffers from IBS so tries to reduce his wheat intake - he finds chappatis are a good alternative to wheat tortillas for bread (I think they're made with gram flour which comes from chickpeas but I'm prepared to be set right on that one!)
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Oct 07, 6:24 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 22nd Oct 07, 6:24 AM
    • 22nd Oct 07, 6:24 AM
    Hi sparklygirl,

You should get some ideas from these threads:

gluten free goodies

Gluten-free fairy cakes

If you scroll to the bottom of this link, there are some biscuit and cake recipes that your grandma might enjoy.

Pink
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 22nd Oct 07, 7:09 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 7,997 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    • 22nd Oct 07, 7:09 AM
    • 22nd Oct 07, 7:09 AM
    I use the Doves Farm gluten free flour - the plain one - and made Twink's hobnobs (although oats might contain a little gluten?) and also gingerbread men just using a standard GH recipe. I also made choc fairy buns using a standard weight of 2 eggs recipe. They are very soft when cooking and seem to firm very quickly.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • redheadirish
    • By redheadirish 17th Jan 08, 12:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    redheadirish
    • 17th Jan 08, 12:38 PM
    Twinks hob nobs?
    • 17th Jan 08, 12:38 PM
    Hiya, just joined and i am gluten free myself. I keep seeing references to Twinks hob nobs? Any chance of a link to them? Many thanks in advance - jo
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 17th Jan 08, 12:48 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hiya, just joined and i am gluten free myself. I keep seeing references to Twinks hob nobs? Any chance of a link to them? Many thanks in advance - jo
    Originally posted by redheadirish
    Hi readheadirish,

Welcome to MSE

Here's the link: twinks hobnobs.

Pink
  • me and me monkeys
    the MS society's best bet diet is GF - they have really nice easy recipes My kids love them!
    Proud to be sorting my life out!

2007 YouGov £7.50
    2007 Pigsback £10.45
    2007 MT Credits 28
    2007 Credit union £100
  • Kron
    Gluten free cooking - old style
    Hi everyone.

I've been reading Weezl's latest challenge with interest. However my eldest daughter has coeliac disease and buying gluten free food adds quite a bit to our shopping bill.

Main meals are not a problem as all are gluten free. It is things like biscuits, cereal bars and bits like that that make the shopping expensive.

Does anyone have any recipes they can help me out with. She was only diagnosed a couple of months ago so it is all new to me. She is also diabetic so I have to watch chocolate/sugar a little bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best.

Karen
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th Jul 08, 5:16 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi kron,

I've added your thread to an earlier one that has some recipes that may help. This website may be useful too. Gluten free recipes

Pink
    • Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 9th Jul 08, 5:32 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,796 Thanks
    Dee140157
    Just to add to an earlier post I made twink's hobnobs with gluten free flour and they were delicious. My tesco has just started selling s.r flour gluten free as well. Like others I have almost given up bread but do eat the pittas you can buy. Keep meaning to look for a recipe to try and make them but have yet to do so.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 9th Jul 08, 6:32 PM
    • 7,754 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    I have a cake recipe that is gluten free and delicious - Lemon polenta cake

Cake
    250g butter softened
    200g sugar
    3 large eggs
    200g polenta
    1tsp baking powder
    Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
    50g mixed peel

Syrup
    100g lemon juice
    100g sugar
    200ml water
    A few sprigs fresh rosemary

You just make this up the cake as normal, cream butter and sugar together, then eggs one at a time, then polenta, then peel and zest. The mixture is sticky as heck though so make sure you grease and line your cake tin or you'll never get it out! It goes in a 9in spring release tin if possible. Oven at 190 or 375 for about 30-35 mins

to make up a syrup you boil the ingredients together, just keep it cooking on the hob till the cake is done, don't cover or it doesn't reduce down (I just found that out yesterday!).

Remove the cake from the tin and then pour the syrup over it. Serve hot or cold.

Anytime I've made this for anyone they've asked for the recipe. It also sounds kind of posh for what is pretty much a basic cake recipe....

• Bonaventure babes
    Just to add to an earlier post I made twink's hobnobs with gluten free flour and they were delicious. My tesco has just started selling s.r flour gluten free as well. Like others I have almost given up bread but do eat the pittas you can buy. Keep meaning to look for a recipe to try and make them but have yet to do so.
    Originally posted by Dee140157
    Hi Dee...im coeliac and have been longing to try Twinks hobnobs for so long but have never made them because of the oats.
    Did you make them for a coeliac or just to be wheat free??:confused:
    Never worry 'till you get a worry...

• Dee140157
    • By Dee140157 9th Jul 08, 9:03 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 7,796 Thanks
    Dee140157
    I'm not coeliac, just wheat intolerant so I avoid wheat as much as possible. I can take it in small doeses occasionally but not often. In fact about the only time I have wheat is in pasta as I don't like the gluten free pasta. There seem to be various debates as to whether coeliacs can eat oats. As far as I understand it oats do not contain gluten, but a similar substance that can cause upset for coeliacs. It may be an issue because of the way they are processed, often in factories used for wheat. But I think you can buy oats that are specifically labelled gluten free. Will see if i can locate.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
    • septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 8th Oct 08, 10:27 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    In Sainsburys they now stock Doves Gluten free Self Raising flour, in Tesco and Asda there is Doves Gluten Free Plain flour and Doves Gluten Free Bread Mix. They are all under £2 a packet, I made cakes a few days ago with the Self Raising Flour, they are delicious on the first day, but a little dry as time goes on! Probably best to put some icing on them. I make at least a loaf a week in my bread maker (the lovely Panny of course!), the bread is lovely to eat on the first day, then use it for toast after that. It will freeze as well, it's really easy to slice so slice before you freeze it. I haven't used the plain flour yet.
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets
  • Cute 'n' Quirky
    I posted a wheat-free Christmas cake recipe, why has it been removed?
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 8th Oct 08, 12:00 PM
    • 7,754 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Good question - I saw it too....it was definitely up there

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

5,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin