Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CGG
    • By CGG 6th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 726Posts
    • 683Thanks
    CGG
    Apprentice, 17, bullied at work...
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    Apprentice, 17, bullied at work... 6th Mar 18 at 3:41 PM
    ... Thanks for the replies and suggestions put forward.

I've deleted my OP as it resulted in me receiving a PM from a less than helpful member, causing me offence.
    Last edited by CGG; 08-03-2018 at 5:35 PM.
Page 2
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 7th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 19,288 Posts
    • 208,279 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Just one thing. A lot of businesses in any locale are linked, through various business clubs, or simply because they work together or are in contact for when they have big contracts etc.

I don't want to say this, but if he is seen to rock the boat, or complain about things that are seen as "normal", he may find it more difficult to find another apprenticeship.

So, as LadyDee says, it is a good idea to find another apprenticeship before he does anything serious, and to get settled in that.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 7th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    The "They could also call the Acas helpline for advice" bit.

They were very helpful when my stepdaughter was being treated unfairly by a single owner business because she thought she could treat trainees any way she liked.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Really? How were they helpful? If I were a mean bullying sole trader* I would ignore ACAS and there's nothing ACAS could do about it. I'd then fire the employee for a very 'legitimate reason'.

*I'm not!
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Perhaps show the 'knob' customer the text?
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Possibly the very worst thing he could do. I don't know if you are serious but this would burn his boats with everybody, probably including the customer he showed it to.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 7th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Possibly the very worst thing he could do. I don't know if you are serious but this would burn his boats with everybody, probably including the customer he showed it to.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    My reaction would be a mix of 'so what?', and 'why on earth are you trying to drag me into your workplace problems?'.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Really? How were they helpful? If I were a mean bullying sole trader* I would ignore ACAS and there's nothing ACAS could do about it. I'd then fire the employee for a very 'legitimate reason'.

*I'm not!
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I'm not going to give exact details but they told her exactly which course of action to take, how to document it and exactly what the law said about the way she was being treated. As soon as the boss knew ACAS were involved, things changed - I'm not saying all employers will take note but it was all that was needed in her case.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 7th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6,610 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    ohreally
    If he!!!8217;s an apprentice spark does he have contact with the JIB https://www.jib.org.uk/operatives-area.aspx
    • Les79
    • By Les79 7th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Les79
    My reaction would be a mix of 'so what?', and 'why on earth are you trying to drag me into your workplace problems?'.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Whereas some people may consider:

- Leaving negative public reviews on social media (potentially affecting future business)

- Going into the workplace or calling up to kick off.

- Physical or "emotional" violence (not common, but some people really respond badly to being called a "knob")
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin