Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 6th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 7,512Posts
    • 11,386Thanks
    cally6008
    My first savings account
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    My first savings account 6th Mar 18 at 3:21 PM
    I want to start putting some money aside to save for a rainy day, car problems or vet bills.
    It's only going to be say 10 per week from my wages and whatever I make from survey sites etc so not big bucks.
    Plus I'll add some of what OH gives me when he gets his money

I only have a basic bank account with HSBC so not allowed to open a savings account with them.
    Ideally looking for an account that can be opened with 1 and be managed online.
    Easy access would be a big bonus as cats and cars don't give warning when they are going to break or fall ill

I don't think an ISA would suit my needs at the moment.
    Monthly interest would be better for me, prefer to get small amount monthly instead of having to wait a full year for it.

I was looking at the Post Office online saver but have been put off slightly by comments about withdrawing on here - https://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-saver

I do like the look of the Ford Flexible Saver although I'm not sure if there's a negative side to it that I'm not aware of yet - https://www.fordmoney.co.uk/savings-products/flexible-saver

It would be good if I could deposit money into the account using my bank and also send money from paypal

Is there any other accounts I should have a look at before making a final decision ?

Thank you

EDIT to add - or would another basic bank account suit my needs better ?
    Last edited by cally6008; 06-03-2018 at 3:37 PM.

Page 1
    • ricky_v
    • By ricky_v 6th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    ricky_v
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    Switch from your basic account to Nationwide flex direct as that pays 5% interest for the first year.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexdirect/features-and-benefits

If you need to have the money in a seperate account to avoid temptation, they have a linked regular saver also paying 5% interest.

These accounts pay the highest rate of interest, alternatively you can switch to HSBC, get 200 and have a 5% reg saver.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#hsbc
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:37 PM
    Switch from your basic account to Nationwide flex direct as that pays 5% interest for the first year.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexdirect/features-and-benefits
    Originally posted by ricky_v
    There is little point opening a FlexDirect account unless you have 2,500 sitting around waiting for a good home. It is a one time only offer, so to make the best of that offer you'll need 2,500 of existing savings. If you haven't got that then don't bother.

It's also possible that the OP wouldn't be given the account anyway. I don't know the reasons why they currently only have a basic bank account, but if it is because they wouldn't qualify for another type of account with other banks then it is very unlikely that Nationwide would give them a FlexDirect account.

If you need to have the money in a seperate account to avoid temptation, they have a linked regular saver also paying 5% interest.

These accounts pay the highest rate of interest, alternatively you can switch to HSBC, get 200 and have a 5% reg saver.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#hsbc
    Originally posted by ricky_v
    This misses the point that the OP is already an HSBC customer. They have a basic bank account, so it is pretty unlikely that they would qualify for an Advance account, which is targeted at higher income earners (minimum monthly pay in 1750).

OP you are best to have a look at the regular savers on this thread, as they will probably offer you the best rate of interest in your circumstances: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    I do wonder if a regular saver is what is required?

Some require a minimum and regular pay in (monthly)

e.g BOS requires 25/month minimum pay in.

The interest is going to be hardly anything. (around 15 year at a guess).
    Maybe a normal savings account is what is required? Less interest but more flexible.

Nationwide has a nifty savers function on their app, where you can move 10 or 20 into the savings account
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 7th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 7,512 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    cally6008
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    The reason I've got a basic bank account is because I got into financial difficulties with Barclays, going overdrawn, getting charged, vicious circle. Barclays flat out refused to help at all so I went to HSBC and was able to open a basic account.

Account is now looking ok we're one month ahead for bills but it's took some getting there.

My credit rating is probably poor-fair now but I doubt I would be able to open a "normal" account or upgrade existing account. I get paid cash-in-hand and am on national living wage so low earner.

Definitely don't have 2500 around the place so although Nationwide looks good, it's out I'm afraid.

• newuser78
    • By newuser78 7th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    newuser78
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    I was in a similar position with a basic account, etc. Do you have credit card builder? If not, I would get this ASAP - the sooner you rebuild your credit worthiness, the sooner you can get access to better accounts (and better returns).

If you are unable to put away 25/month, then consider opening a normal savings account at your bank HSBC and put in as much as you can. After a year, you could then ask your bank to upgrade your account from basic - this is far easier as you are already a customer.
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 7th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 7,512 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    cally6008
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    I don't have a credit card builder. I got into difficulties with capital one as well. Ideally would like to avoid a credit card if possible.
    Mindset has changed to "if we don't have the money, we go without until we do have the money"

I can put 25 a month away but there might be a month where I can't.
    The problem I have is that I can't open any savings accounts with hsbc because I have a basic bank account with them,

• ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    I do wonder if a regular saver is what is required?

Some require a minimum and regular pay in (monthly)

e.g BOS requires 25/month minimum pay in.

The interest is going to be hardly anything. (around 15 year at a guess).
    Maybe a normal savings account is what is required? Less interest but more flexible.

Nationwide has a nifty savers function on their app, where you can move 10 or 20 into the savings account
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Not all regular savers require a monthly minimum deposit: in fact many don't. Leeds BS, Virgin Money and Santander are all examples of regular savers that don't require minimum monthly deposit.

While the interest earned won't necessarily be massive in a regular saver, it will still be more than in an easy access account, because the interest rates are higher in a regular saver!
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 9th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 7,512 Posts
    • 11,386 Thanks
    cally6008
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    I went to local HSBC branch today and opened a Flex Saver account. The interest is rubbish at 0.5% but I can log on to my online banking and see both balances on the same screen. The lady did try and upgrade the account from basic to normal but it came back as referred and then a no. I did say to her that I would be suprised if it was a yes.

I think I might open a Ford account as well and then half of the money my OH gives me can go in that account and be saved towards the car

• ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I went to local HSBC branch today and opened a Flex Saver account. The interest is rubbish at 0.5% but I can log on to my online banking and see both balances on the same screen. The lady did try and upgrade the account from basic to normal but it came back as referred and then a no. I did say to her that I would be suprised if it was a yes.

I think I might open a Ford account as well and then half of the money my OH gives me can go in that account and be saved towards the car
    Originally posted by cally6008
    The Virgin Money Regular E-Saver will pay you more interest and give you unlimited withdrawals. It is opened and managed online and there shouldn't be a hard credit search as it is only a savings account.
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 15th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    Originally posted by cally6008
    Well done for trying -- originally you thought it wasn't possible.

Actually, it was always unlikely that a basic-bank-account holder couldn't have a savings account, because a savings account, like a BBA, poses no credit risk to the provider -- it can't be overdrawn.

Don't sweat too much about the interest rate -- the important thing is to build up some capital for future needs. Although you could get more elsewhere, the absolute sum you'd be losing is still small, and the convenience of a savings account which you see every time you access your main account may be worth having.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    • sam_scott
    • By sam_scott 21st Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sam_scott
    Nationwide flex direct as it has a good rate of interest 5%. Also good if you have a physical nationwide in your town. See if you can get a friend to refer you...you get 100 and they do too. If you don't know anyone with a Nationwide account pm me and I'll refer you...
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 21st Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    mollycat
    Nationwide flex direct as it has a good rate of interest 5%. Also good if you have a physical nationwide in your town. See if you can get a friend to refer you...you get 100 and they do too. If you don't know anyone with a Nationwide account pm me and I'll refer you...
    Originally posted by sam_scott
    Dealt with in posts #2 and #3. (Maybe you haven't read them though?)

Nice try for the 100 though!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 21st Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Alexland
    Dealt with in posts #2 and #3. (Maybe you haven't read them though?)
    Originally posted by Mollycat
    Given the rate sam_scott is posting low quality responses to old messages tonight I am not convinced he is reading the existing responses or considering the situation much before replying.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 21-03-2018 at 8:44 PM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 21st Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Originally posted by sam_scott
    The OP has already said that they have a poor credit history and currently operate a basic bank account, so it is unlikely that they would get a FlexDirect account.

Oh, and you can't tout for referrals here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin