Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stella aurakzai
    • By stella aurakzai 6th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stella aurakzai
    standing charges for energy
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    standing charges for energy 6th Mar 18 at 3:04 PM
    I was looking at changing my tariff with Npower but a change in tariff increases the standing charges for gas from 23.89p per day to just under 32p per day! I have also just found out that standing charges vary for different post codes. The person on NPower chat line said this is allowed by OFGEM rules? It seems very wrong for people to have to pay more because of their postcode
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    No its not post codes as such .
    Energy supply prices vary with areas .
    Standing Charges vary with supplier and tariff.
    Two components one standing charge and two unit price .
    • editor1
    • By editor1 6th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    I was looking at changing my tariff with Npower but a change in tariff increases the standing charges for gas from 23.89p per day to just under 32p per day! I have also just found out that standing charges vary for different post codes. The person on NPower chat line said this is allowed by OFGEM rules? It seems very wrong for people to have to pay more because of their postcode
    Originally posted by stella aurakzai
    Standing charges not only are impacted by Postcode, but by type of deal you are on, given this fact, and that duel fuel standing changes can actually be quite steep, if you can Switch supplier, try Outfox The Market, its offer a membership fee structure for Electricity only and no standing charges for gas whatsoever, if you are on a low to medium usage for electricity, its 6.99 & 8.99 - my folks are heavy users and their membership fee would be 10.99 a month, which when multiplied by 12 and divided by 365 works out two quid cheaper a month than what i presently pay.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 6th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    Outfox the market is available to compare against on comparison sites such as the one I often use (energyhelpline). Currently, there are tariffs from other suppliers that beat outfox (check for your own consumption). So while they have this odd membership fee arrangement, they are no more or less competitive than other suppliers.

Regarding the standing charges query. This is often asked in the forum.

The accepted logic regarding how tariffs are structured is that those with higher standing charges and lower unit rates benefit higher users. Those with low standing charges and high unit rates normally benefit low users.

However, in my view, there is no need to get too caught up on this fact.

As long as you use accurate annual figures in kwh when comparing on comparison sites.....what ever tariff comes up cheapest for your annual use.....is the cheapest one....regardless of how it is structured....you have to decide which company to choose based on the result after that it comes down to customer feedback, and whether it is fixed or could be subject to variable changes.

So, compare, ensure that you compare covering the whole market. See what comes up, and switch.

----

It is not just the standing charges that vary by postcode, the pence per kwh are usually slightly different too. This is because of our fragmented energy network. Each supplier can tailor their tariffs to the perceived costs of supplying specific areas.

For example, and this is only a very rough example, it may cost less (in terms of infrastructure) to supply a densely populated area than it costs to supply a very sparsely populated area. It is just like the issues with broadband. I can get a much better broadband connection in a city, at a much cheaper price (because the infrastructure exists) than I could out in the countryside.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 06-03-2018 at 5:22 PM.
  • nPower
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    Originally posted by stella aurakzai

Hi stella aurakzai,

Thanks for your message. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you require help with your tariff prices.

Thanks,

Jen
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,744Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin