Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 6th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 670Posts
    • 43Thanks
    Supernova
    Transferring ownership from deceased
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    Transferring ownership from deceased 6th Mar 18 at 3:01 PM
    Hi all,

My father passed away some time ago and through oversight my mum didn't fill in the V5 to transfer ownership. She is not driving the car and it's parked in the drive off road.

What date should she put for the transfer and does she need to write to DVLA explaining?

I guess they would have been notified of death through 'Tell Us Once' and I hope she isn't going to get into trouble.

Thanks
    S
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    I guess they would have been notified of death through 'Tell Us Once' and I hope she isn't going to get into trouble.
    Originally posted by Supernova
    "Tell us Once" would not deal with changing the details of any vehicles owned by your father, it may have cancelled his driving licence, but that is all.

If he owned the car alone, then it would be part of his estate, so whoever was his executor/administrator can sign the V5 to transfer ownership. But being keeper and being owner are not necessarily the same thing, so it may be it was jointly owned in any case, and not part of his estate at all.

No-one is going to get into trouble for not updating the V5 - but you do need to make sure the vehicle tax/insurance have been in place (or SORN declared), that is where any issues are going to arise.

Change of keeper details will mean re-taxing in her name.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 06-03-2018 at 3:11 PM.
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 6th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    jimmy cricket
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    My parents car was in dads name. It was never transferred to my mum. Three years later, she traded it in for a new car and it didn!!!8217;t cause an issue.
    • Supernova
    • By Supernova 6th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Supernova
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    Thanks guys!

S
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 5,729 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    https://www.gov.uk/tell-dvla-about-bereavement/keeping-the-vehicle
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin