Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 6th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 264Posts
    • 118Thanks
    RealGem
    Bus Lane; No letter. Will Phoning Trigger a Fine?
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    Bus Lane; No letter. Will Phoning Trigger a Fine? 6th Mar 18 at 2:34 PM
    Hi,

Three weeks ago I was being tailgated and I always pull over or move into the inside lane and let the tail-gator pass when that happens. But on this occasion, I forgot that the inside lane was a bus lane.

By the time I realised it was a bus lane, I was looking up at the camera as I passed it, thinking "Great, I've cut out meat from my diet because I can't afford it, but now I've just thrown £35 away."

My dad got a fine for a bus lane and yellow box. The usual procedure for my town, is you get a letter with a £70 fine, which is only £35 if you pay within two weeks.

Well I haven't got a letter, which sounds like good news...

But there's another issue. My neighbour is a thief and has stolen my mail previously. (We share a front door and mailbox).

So I am concerned he has stolen my Fine letter from the Council and if so, I could not pay within the two weeks. I don't know what happens after that (if the cost goes up and up or not).

So I want to phone them and ask them the hypothetical question:

"Can you find out from a number plate if there are any outstanding driving fines?"

If the answer is Yes, then I want to state my number plate and see if I have a fine.

But I am concerned that by phoning them I will trigger a fine that I would not have got in the first place!

So should I just do nothing?!

I am very very broke BTW. But I need my car.

What would you do?

Thank you

PS: I only moved over a short distance before cars are allowed to move over to turn left. Will that make a difference?
    Last edited by RealGem; 06-03-2018 at 2:37 PM.
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    No, it won't trigger a "fine". No, a "short distance" doesn't help.

BTW are you sure the bus lane was operational at the time?
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 6th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    No, it won't trigger a "fine". No, a "short distance" doesn't help.

BTW are you sure the bus lane was operational at the time?
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Thank you.

Yes it's a permanent bus lane.

Please can someone let me know what they would do?

Should I phone them? Or leave things be?

thanks a lot
    People only get upset
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 33,028 Posts
    • 38,595 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    Leave things be

At 3 weeks I'm sure it's not going to happen , they have to apply to the DVLA within 14 days
    Last edited by Browntoa; 06-03-2018 at 9:20 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    Leave things be

At 3 weeks I'm sure it's not going to happen , they have to apply to the DVLA within 14 days
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Thanks

But what if they did send a letter and my neighbour stole it?
    People only get upset
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 6th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    Is it on record that the police know about the stolen mail?

Letís say they did send it to you and he nabbed it and you received a court summons.

ĎI didnít get the letter cause it was pinchedí wonít work, but it would if there was a record of it.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 6th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    Thanks

But what if they did send a letter and my neighbour stole it?
    Originally posted by RealGem
    Could you ever prove such a thing? So much could have happened to the letter from the moment it entered the postal system.

Fact is, you haven't received it, so I'd rest easy and forget about it. (and do something about your neighbour stealing your post)
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 6th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    Thanks, no I've told the police but I can't prove it.

He is known to them, and they believe me, but of course they need evidence.

OK thanks, I will leave it, and hope I never got a ticket!

Cheers
    People only get upset
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 6th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    (We share a front door and mailbox).
    Originally posted by RealGem
    I wonder if you could change this. Could you install another mailbox? And label one as your property and one as theirs? Maybe even a lockable post box to one side of the door.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 6th Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    I wonder if you could change this. Could you install another mailbox? And label one as your property and one as theirs? Maybe even a lockable post box to one side of the door.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Hi, thanks

Yes, it's taking ages but the council have agreed to having a new door entry system where the postman has access to the building and delivers mail to the separate flats. Hopefully it won't be long. Cheers
    People only get upset
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 7th Mar 18, 12:45 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    you csn phone the council and ask if they have any outstanding fines for your VRN. They'll only fine you if they have good proof of the infraction, they cant just fine you based on your verbal confession. If you are worried, do not admit to anything and just ask about outstanding PCN.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Mar 18, 1:29 AM
    • 9,370 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Just say you arent sure if you entered the bus lane and is there a record of a fine as you are concerned the letter may have gone astray,
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    GunJack
    ...and don't give in to tailgaters, it leads to stuff like this when it's them that have the problem, not you
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 8th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, I wouldn't just leave it. I agree with #12. If the FPN has gone missing through your dodgy neighbour, the council will chase it up, and it will cost you more. If they haven't issued an FPN, they won't based on you contacting them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,744Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin