Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • completelybroke
    • By completelybroke 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 249Thanks
    completelybroke
    Collectors plates help
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    Collectors plates help 6th Mar 18 at 2:29 PM
    Hi

I am sorting my late father's estate and there are boxes and boxes and boxes of collectors plates.
    Other than ebay can anyone suggest a selling place for these collectors plates? Ebay doesn't seem t be an ideal selling place for these as it looks like they don't really sell.
    Very grateful for any ideas/help.
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 1,911 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    They don't really sell on eBay because something that looks like it could be rare when produced can be seen as quite prolific in the light of day (mass exposure) and no one can get rid of them.
    We've had people bring this up every now and then on various items, collectible badges I recall.
    They don't seem to go to well on car bnoot sales either. I would try facebook selling pages.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • completelybroke
    • By completelybroke 6th Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    completelybroke
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    Thank you.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 6th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 30,790 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    It depends what they are. I have sold some collectors plates in complete sets but the majority are not worth much

Have a look in completed items in eBay
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 60,303 Posts
    • 42,961 Thanks
    soolin
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    Unless they are something that is in fashion, or highly popular they are probably worthless, it's a shame but that's how these things go. I still have probably near 100 in storage, none of them worth a bean and many of them from 'good'makers, in original postage boxes and with certificates, some still have the original invoices showing huge amounts paid , and yet I can't give them away.

Strangely enough the last ones I saw fetch anything were more modern 'John Wayne' ones and looking at eBay they still sometimes make a few pounds a piece.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 7th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 1,911 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    Everyone wants a collectible Elvis plate though don't they. OH COME ON NOW!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collector-Plate-Elvis-Presley-Golden-Boy-from-Commemorating-The-King/263523376099?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 7th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 30,790 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    Everyone wants a collectible Elvis plate though don't they. OH COME ON NOW!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collector-Plate-Elvis-Presley-Golden-Boy-from-Commemorating-The-King/263523376099?
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Funnily enough Elvis plates were some of the ones I sold but mine were much more tasteful with glass 'jewels' stuck on them
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 60,303 Posts
    • 42,961 Thanks
    soolin
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    Funnily enough Elvis plates were some of the ones I sold but mine were much more tasteful with glass 'jewels' stuck on them
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Very tasteful indeed, no home should be without an Elvis plate with stuck on jewels.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,098Posts Today

5,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin