Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ice2kewl
    • By ice2kewl 6th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ice2kewl
    Advice on economical car models to choose from
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    Advice on economical car models to choose from 6th Mar 18 at 2:01 PM
    Dear all,

I currently own a Lexus CT 200H. Brilliant car but absolute nightmare to source parts for. So i'm looking to switch cars. I'm looking for makes that have:

[In order of priority]
    - good reliability
    - cheapest maintenance
    - cheapest road tax
    - cheapest insurance

Thanks!

[EDIT] 10k budget

[EDIT2] Just found this article: moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/articles/which-cars-are-the-cheapest-to-repair/ - Ford stands out.

[EDIT3] Hatchback/Saloon, Auto, Petrol
    Last edited by ice2kewl; 06-03-2018 at 2:50 PM.
Page 1
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    What's your budget?
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 23/31 AFDs, 14/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • ice2kewl
    • By ice2kewl 6th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ice2kewl
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    What's your budget?
    Originally posted by fatrab
    Sorry, should've said. 10k
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:26 PM
    Ford Focus
    Mazda 3
    Peugeot 308 (questionable reliability)
    Any of the Seat/Skoda clones (not cheap to maintain)
    Vauxhall Astra

All pretty boring but tick most of your boxes. If I had to pick I'd probably stretch the budget slightly and go for a 2016 Focus 1.5 diesel ST line

I'm assuming you need 5 doors and similar sized car of course!
    Last edited by fatrab; 06-03-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 6th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    Kia C'eed? Should still have warranty left at that price point which helps keep costs down
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    What about a Volvo V40? They're reliable and cheap to run, the 1.6 diesel isn't going to win any awards for refinement but will do 60+mpg and 0 tax
    Last edited by fatrab; 06-03-2018 at 3:03 PM.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    Don't go for a Focus 1.0 ecoboost. See the other thread in this forum.

If you definitely need a petrol I'd say a Mazda3 would be a good shout.
    • ice2kewl
    • By ice2kewl 7th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ice2kewl
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:02 AM

If you definitely need a petrol I'd say a Mazda3 would be a good shout.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Won't the Mazda3 suffer from similar issues in terms of costlier maintenance since it's Japanese?
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    It won't be anywhere near the maintenance costs of the Lexus if that's what you mean? I found my Mazda 6 quite cheap to run.

Maintenance costs are going to vary massively depending if you religiously use a main dealer, use a local garage, or if you do some of the work yourself. For example, a fuel filter for my Mazda 6 was 30 from Mazda or 8 from ECP.

You'll also find that quite a lot of manufacturers share platforms, the old Mazda3 was a ford focus underneath the Mazda body. So parts aren't always as expensive as you'd think.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 7th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Won't the Mazda3 suffer from similar issues in terms of costlier maintenance since it's Japanese?
    Originally posted by ice2kewl
    Steer clear of premium brands and your costs will come down - a Toyota will be cheaper to maintain than a Lexus, a Nissan cheaper than an Infinity. I'd guess back in the Ford days, Jaguar X-Type paid more for their (same) parts than Ford Mondeo owners.

Lexus are also fewer in number, so mass-market cars are just easier to deal with as stockists will actually stock parts - and the main brands will give you a choice.

I get my Merc C Class looked after by a local guy (now that my service contract has expired) and we will always have the conversation about what part to fit, original or after market. On my old 1999 C Class, two new after market clone wings and a below the glass respray cost less than 1000 - which was less than Merc wanted when I queried their 30 year rust warranty after 8 years and they offered a repair with a contribution for betterment.

The other thing to bear in mind is that cars are often pretty good these days even from the lesser brands, so unless you go to the bottom of the market.

That might change your question or perspective. Don't want to go too cheap and then have a car you'll regret having just because it is cheap to repair.
    • UncleZen
    • By UncleZen 8th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    UncleZen
    Mazda 3 has class leading economy (from 40mpg short/cold to 50mpg long/warm) thats the 2.0 petrol. These are real MPG figures, cross check with honest john real mpg
    Quite refined, handles well, lots of bells and whistles inside.
    Ive had mine over 1.5 years and its only had 1 thing wrong (leaky rear shock) that the dealer replaced promptly under warranty. My last service cost 210 at a dealer.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 8th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    wgl2014
    What parts can't you get for your current car?

One of the biggest costs involved in car ownership is depreciation, don't forget to factor that in to any sums.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tarambor
    The one where you constantly bleat on about there being 300 members of a Facebook group and that being indicative of a massive problem despite there being over 8 MILLION Ecoboost engines in use and there being no scandal being spread in the motoring press about it?
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    The one where you constantly bleat on about there being 300 members of a Facebook group and that being indicative of a massive problem despite there being over 8 MILLION Ecoboost engines in use and there being no scandal being spread in the motoring press about it?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    thats the one ...
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    Originally posted by Tarambor

I've never commented on the thread or mentioned facebook so get off your high horse. The thread on MSE is not the source of my information, but is very easy to direct other users to. I have a friend at Ford UK. Don't be so judgemental. The fault with the 1.0 ecoboost's cooling system is commonly known about throughout the motor industry, forums and online car pages. Try using Google if you want to find out how many forums it's a topic for discussion on, what the problem actually is, and how poorly Ford have handled their customers instead of spouting venom on a subject you clearly know nothing about.
    Last edited by fatrab; 09-03-2018 at 9:56 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I don't think you state the requirements re. size and whether lots of motorways are involved but for a city car I'd recommend the new (2nd gen) Hyundai i10, you can get a brand new one for your budget and they're cracking little cars with very low running costs.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Try using Google if you want to find out how many forums it's a topic for discussion on, what the problem actually is, and how poorly Ford have handled their customers instead of spouting venom on a subject you clearly know nothing about.
    I do know about it which is why I know that the same issue with the wrong head gasket being fitted to Focus RS's is limited to a small number of engines which were unlucky enough to have had the headgasket from the Mustang ecoboost engine accidentally fitted.

As I say there are over 8 million Ecoboost engines in use today. I suspect that given those forums are usually ones where people have a tendency to get their cars chipped and up the boost beyond what Ford intended that a lot of it is actually self inflicted and indeed a Google shows most hits from sites like Pistonheads and Passionford. Clearly the massive majority of people don't have a problem with it given it hasn't made it into mainstream motoring press, certainly Parkers and AutoExpress don't mention it and Ford dealership service department car parks aren't filled with Fords with ecoboost engines all waiting for a head gasket change.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,907 Thanks
    fatrab
    The 8 million ecoboost engines you mention aren't all 1.0 though are they?

I suggested the OP avoid the 1.0 ecoboost due to the high number of failures of that specific engine.

I can assure you, the fault has occurred on a far higher percentage of standard, well maintained cars than you would care to believe, including my contact at Ford's own fathers car!

Ford are replacing these engines out of warranty which I'm sure you'll agree is a rare occurrence and surely an indicator that there is a known problem.
    Last edited by fatrab; 09-03-2018 at 3:10 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,781Posts Today

8,025Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin